Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good netbook games?

Options
  • 21-11-2011 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

So I'm in transition year, which means we're doing nothing in class. I am armed with a crappy netbook and want games for it. What do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

PACKYAK wrote: »
    What do?

Learn something! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 PACKYAK

chin_grin wrote: »
    Learn something! :pac:

Ah now seriously. It's transition year.

PACKYAK wrote: »
    Ah now seriously. It's transition year.

Heheheh. All the more reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

If you're a football fan you can get championship manager 01/02 (best one of the series imo) free. Just go to http://champman0102.co.uk/forum/downloads.php and you can legally get the game for free and update it to todays teams as of this month!

Hours of my life wasted on that game!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Since it's somewhat topical, I had a copy of Morrowind running on my old netbook reasonably well. That'd definitely keep you busy.

• Advertisement

Hey OP, sign up to this. Seriously.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Civilization III/IV, Call of Duty 1, CS: 1.6 (CSS runs barely on a netbook), Trackmania Nations Forever, Baldurs Gate I/II, Starcraft, Age Of Empires 2, Quake III, Homeworld, Star Wars: KOTOR, The Sims 1/2, Unreal Tournament, World of Warcraft, Warcraft III, Battlefield 1942, Deus Ex, Medal Of Honor Allied Assault, GTA 1-3/Vice City/San Andreas, Neverwinter Nights, NFS U1/U2, Flatout 1/2, Black & White, Trine, World of Goo.

And pretty much any game pre 2003. Have had a netbook myself so I can confirm all the above games run fine (WoW/San Andreas/Trackmania/Civ IV on lowest settings)

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

+1 to Morrowind if you have a lot of time for single player. There's a good selection of mods too. Watch out for cheap indie games as well. Many of these will work quite well on netbooks. Maybe thief (I got it running on a Win 7 laptop recently, but it is a bit buggy on new systems).

There's plenty of multiplayer FPS games that will work if others have netbooks and you have a network + mouse - UT99 (as Enderman recommended, loads of mods and servers still going with this) and also plenty of free ones - urban terror, alien arena, warsow.
    You could probably run older strategy games such as the C&C series - tiberian sun and red alert 2 should run well. Tiberian sun is free now.

This assumes that you have a windows netbook, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Planescape:Torment

Runs grand on a netbook and is easily one of the best RPG's ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Spider Solitaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Planescape:Torment

Runs grand on a netbook and is easily one of the best RPG's ever made.

Tried playing it on my NC10. Worked, but the screen is just too damn small!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As mentioned check out the games on GoG.com

You can get some amazing RPGs like Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 1 and 2.

Plenty of other gems there as well, Beneath a Steel Sky, Commandos, Cannon Fodder

Also Lands of Lore 1 and 2 just went up.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Plants vs zombies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Torchlight too high spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Monotype wrote: »
    You could probably run older strategy games such as the C&C series - tiberian sun and red alert 2 should run well. Tiberian sun is free now.

Tiberian Dawn, Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 1 are all free now, can get the patched versions from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Those are all pretty old games, you can go a bit more modern. Company of Heroes and Dawn of War work pretty OK on my netbook, for example....

Battlefield 2 and Half Life 2 also run pretty well. These aren't my pictures but they're an example of the general level of quality I can reach with my netbook (it's a 10" Aspire 522 w/Radeon 6250.) In 3DMark06 it scores about 1,400, which is similar enough to my old P4 3Ghz with 7600GT.

coh.jpg

wh40k_dawn_of_war_02.jpg

imgBattlefield%2023.jpg

halflife2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Most netbooks have a lot worse than a radeon 6250. It's usually the Intel GMA 3150 but the early Eee PCs were lower quality again.

Advertisement