Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to Mass on December 25th?

• 21-11-2011 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

To appease the parents/grandparents? Cos it makes you feel good inside? To celebrate the birth of Jesus? To pray for the repose of the souls of your family/friends? Cos you just go every year? Cos Christmas wouldn't be the same without Mass? To celebrate the Holy Sacrafice of the Mass?

From the replies to this OP sofar, I'd love to see the bishops issue a letter to be read out on Christmas day to the a la carte congregation that highlights the hypocrisy of the flock and their utter disregard for going to Mass every Sunday and on Holy Days of Obligation. Remember, it's a mortal sin not to go to Mass!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Christmas is meant to be a celebration, easter was the sacrifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

THAT WAS JUST NASTY, ME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I don't go to mass. My mother used to drag us there every year at Christmas but I stopped going at an early age when I started asking why my Dad got to stay at home beside the nice cosy fire. The mother eventually gave the me the choice of going to mass or staying home with my Dad; I think I was about 10 then and haven't been to mass since.

Ah the joys of having a Prod for a Dad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

Christmas is meant to be a celebration, easter was the sacrifice.

There's a Holy Sacrafice at every Mass. Every Mass re-enacts Calgary -- the most powerful prayer ever to come up from this earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Going to mass ruins christmas day. I'll be too busy eating, drinking and opening presents to go to mass.
    Anyway, santa brings me presents, not Jesus. If I'm going to praise anyone that day, it'll be Santa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Tough call. I used to love the whole vibe of midnight mass and the camradarie and meeting neighbours (and former ones home for Christmas) but lately I feel I can't go to something that represents almost everything that I detest.

It'd be like going to an FF meeting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I go to challenge myself - trying to act sober around my parents in an uncomfortable environment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

yutta wrote: »
    There's a Holy Sacrafice at every Mass. Every Mass re-enacts Calgary -- the most powerful prayer ever to come up from this earth.

wah wah wah wah wah Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

What is this sh1t??
    What are you on about?
    Why would you go to mass on christmas for any other reason than you are catholic?
    Seriously wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

nah - haven't been at Christmas mass since i grew up!

:confused::confused::confused:

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I'll be going to Midnight Mass, at 8pm christmas eve...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

To appease the parents/grandparents? (I'd say this is the only reason the kids go) Cos it makes you feel good inside? (how? Would donating to charity not be a more valid excuse for feeling good about yourself?) To celebrate the birth of Jesus? (Wrong date) To pray for the repose of the souls of your family/friends? (Yeah pray real hard because that'll work). Cos you just go every year? (Traditions are f*cking boring) Cos Christmas wouldn't be the same without Mass? (Yes it bloody would!) To celebrate the Holy Sacrafice of the Mass? (The what? The sacrifice of me giving up my own free time and spend it mumbling with coffin dodgers in a freezing building? Yeah sounds like fun.)

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Praise Jebus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Can happily say I've never been to a mass and probably never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

To appease the parents/grandparents? Cos it makes you feel good inside? To celebrate the birth of Jesus? To pray for the repose of the souls of your family/friends? Cos you just go every year? Cos Christmas wouldn't be the same without Mass? To celebrate the Holy Sacrafice of the Mass?

I don't go any other week in the year so why would I go on Christmas Day?

Mena wrote: »
    Can happily say I've never been to a mass and probably never will.

Can..........Can I..............touch you?

<no not there!>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

chin_grin wrote: »
    Can..........Can I..............touch you?

Yeah, thats pretty much the jist of mass these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

No, we all stopped going a long time ago, and xmas day has much improved since I put a stop to that mass stuff! Eats and drinkies can start earlier :D

Malari wrote: »
    No, we all the free thinkers stopped going a long time ago, and xmas day has much improved since I put a stop to that mass stuff! Eats and drinkies can start earlier :D

FYP. :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

of course. would be rude not to celebrate the birth of lord, Santa Claus, after he gives us the pressies.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Guill

^^^In there before me koth!

I go so i can stay on Gods 'nice' list and pray to baby Santa so he will bring me all that i asked for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

FYP. :pac:

Hah, well I meant my family. Who are all now free-thinkers. Which I take credit for ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I used to go to Midnight mass just to keep the mam happy when I'd be home for Christmas.. now I just start drinking at 6 so she doesn't even ask me to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

I used to go to Midnight mass just to keep the mam happy when I'd be home for Christmas.. now I just start drinking at 6 so she doesn't even ask me to go

I always go to midnight Mass at Christmas and Easter. Mind you, last Easter, the Mass went on for over 3 hours!!! Always nice to have a few pints with friends after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Why would I go to a Christian church on the day of a European Pagan festival?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

The word ' Christmas' comes from ' Christ Mass ' that is a mass to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Going to mass on Christmas Day was always a part of Christmas in Ireland and still is for most of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Clareboy wrote: »
    The word ' Christmas' comes from ' Christ Mass ' that is a mass to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Going to mass on Christmas Day was always a part of Christmas in Ireland and still is for most of us.

Christians changed the name and the meaning when they invaded.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus

i never go and i dont plan to
    not catholic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

They say Father Clippit does a good long mass. Three hours he does, on a good night. Since his stroke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There's more chance of me NOT eating Christmas Dinner (AKA the best f*cking meal of the year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Didn't know jesus had ever been to western canada.

or did you mean Calvary?

Clareboy wrote: »

I'm not attacking you in any way it comes with the territory that is religion but that's just deluded. I feel sorry that you've been so brainwashed by thinking that the very basis of doing something over and over and over and not questioning it, is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I used to love going to mass at 8 o'clock on Christmas Eve, leaving after communion and then hitting the pub for a few afterwards! I go to my dad's anniversary mass every year and used to go to Christmas mass but they were the only two out of the year. I decided last Christmas not to go for the first year ever and my mam wasn't happy, but I thought it would be very hypocritical of me to go, since I don't consider myself a Catholic or even a Christian anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Yeah I used to do it as part of the tradition, but I haven't for the past 5 years or so. I love Christmas, but not the Catholic church..... or organised religion in general for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Guill

bluewolf wrote: »
    i never go and i dont plan to
    not catholic

:eek:

What the hell are you?????????????????????

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

summerskin wrote: »
    Didn't know jesus had ever been to western canada.

or did you mean Calvary?

In fairness, that was an awesome winter Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Go because you want to go*, otherwise be true to yourself and don't go. Why would you go becuase someone esle wants you to or would be upset if you didn't?

*it doesnt matter WHY you want to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

Absurdum wrote: »
    wah wah wah wah wah Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If it is boring, then why are you on the thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I go to check out the Milfs (and Gilfs :P) in their finery bringing the little ones to Christmas mass......just cos it's Christmas doesn't mean you shouldn't be updating the ould 'Spank bank' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Haelium wrote: »
    Christians changed the name and the meaning when they invaded.
    i dont see what that has got to do with anything, if they changed the meaning, but left the name, or changed the name but left the meaning, you might have a point. I dont see the problem. ;/)

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    I go to check out the Milfs (and Gilfs :P) in their finery bringing the little ones to Christmas mass......just cos it's Christmas doesn't mean you shouldn't be updating the ould 'Spank bank' :pac:

But I have a cosy home and an internet connection. I can update it there. :pac:

Why would I want to be bored and cold for an hour and shake someone's hand they just sneezed in to. Yeah "peace be with you" sure. Me hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Well, we go to Christmas Eve Mass. I'm atheist. Why do I go? Tradition, family togetherness, greeting neighbours and it gives me that childhood Christmassy excited feeling. Oh and I LOVE Christmas hymns. :)
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Anyway, santa brings me presents, not Jesus. If I'm going to praise anyone that day, it'll be Santa

Uh, he's called Annual Gift Man. Get it right, ffs. :pac:

Well, we go to Christmas Eve Mass. I'm atheist. Why do I go? Tradition, family together and it gives me that childhood Christmassy excited feeling. Oh and I LOVE Christmas hymns What? That's how they get you. With a catchy tune!. :)

It's still a BS excuse.

I hate Ricky Gervais's stand up. Bleurgh.

And it's not an excuse. What am I excusing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

I like watching the Queen's Speech on the telly at 3pm every Christmas Day. It's tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Fr.Harry Bell

Unless you have the right reasons for attending Mass, I shouldn't bother.

Waste of time for everybody.

I hate Ricky Gervais's stand up. Bleurgh.

And it's not an excuse. What am I excusing?

The need to go to Christmas Mass. It's the subject of the thread! :pac:

Ricky is an acquired taste, but he does have a point here. Even if the delivery/punchline is crass. (But very f*cking funny).

I'm not attacking you in any way it comes with the territory that is religion but that's just deluded. I feel sorry that you've been so brainwashed by thinking that the very basis of doing something over and over and over and not questioning it, is ok.

Give it a rest, will ya? We get it.

The need to go to Christmas Mass. It's the subject of the thread! :pac:

I gave reasons, not excuses. It doesn't matter whether or not you validate those reasons, and you not validating them doesn't make them excuses.

Oh, and Gervais's stand-up sucks donkey's balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I'm an athiest, so this religious stuff doesn't concern me.
    But I assume that every year you put a tree in your house and decorate it with glittery things, that you and your family exchange gifts that no one really wants and no one can really afford, that you have a dinner with turkey and ham, and do all the other traditional type things that go along with christmas, yes?

I personally cannot fathom why anyone would go to mass on christmas if they do not usually go, and if they are not catholic.

But I just think it is a silly argument to make - that someone is brainwashed because it is part of their tradition, yet we all have our own traditions that we follow every year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement