Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to Mass on December 25th?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

i dont see what that has got to do with anything, if they changed the meaning, but left the name, or changed the name but left the meaning, you might have a point. I dont see the problem. ;/)

"Jesus" probably wasn't born on December 25th?
    The holiday has an older meaning, so tradition is pointless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

chin_grin wrote: »
    I'm not attacking you in any way it comes with the territory that is religion but that's just deluded. I feel sorry that you've been so brainwashed by thinking that the very basis of doing something over and over and over and not questioning it, is ok.
    Like buying presents I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Give it a rest, will ya? We get it.

Yes and because my opinion differs from yours makes me the target why exactly?
    I gave reasons, not excuses. It doesn't matter whether or not you validate those reasons, and you not validating them doesn't make them excuses.

Oh, and Gervais's stand-up sucks donkeys balls.

Yes you are entitled to an opinion as I am mine. And you did give excuses. Tradition (in my opinion) is an excuse. It's appeasing the older generation just so you can have a content dinner. So it's the ultimate ulterior motive.

No one goes "Wow, that Mass. I'm just blown away it was soooooo enlightening. I have a new outlook on life."

I'm an athiest, so this religious stuff doesn't concern me.
    But I assume that every year you put a tree in your house and decorate it with glittery things, that you and your family exchange gifts that no one really wants and no one can really afford, that you have a dinner with turkey and ham, and do all the other traditional type things that go along with christmas, yes?

I personally cannot fathom why anyone would go to mass on christmas if they do not usually go, and if they are not catholic.

But I just think it is a silly argument to make - that someone is brainwashed because it is part of their tradition, yet we all have our own traditions that we follow every year.

I don't. The rest do. I f*cking hate it. I'm a joy to be around, really. :pac:
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    Like buying presents I suppose.

Now that's the media-pumped consumer drilled mind talking. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd rather go to a mass grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Tradition (in my opinion) is an excuse.

Yup, it is indeed your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Haelium wrote: »
    "Jesus" probably wasn't born on December 25th?
    The holiday has an older meaning, so tradition is pointless?
    well, we have to celebrate it some time, right? why not a couple days after the shortest day of the year, a new birth, begining, whatever, its only symbolism, he wasnt born in 1AD either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Nope

I will be at mass with all the family christmas eve, however I do go to mass during the year too when I can so its I'm not being hypocritical or doing it because I'm forced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Yes you are entitled to an opinion as I am mine. And you did give excuses. Tradition (in my opinion) is an excuse. It's appeasing the older generation just so you can have a content dinner. So it's the ultimate ulterior motive.

Yes, everyone's allowed to have opinions and different traditions. I just don't see why you have to be rude to those who do things in another way than you.
    Miss Olenska did not give "excuses", she said she attends Christmas mass, she said it's a tradition of hers and that she enjoys it.

... Saying that's BS is just mean.

• Advertisement

well, we have to celebrate it some time, right? why not a couple days after the shortest day of the year, a new birth, begining, whatever, its only symbolism, he wasnt born in 1AD either...
    When ya get there be sure to ask the priest if it's only symbolism, let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sure didn't the lord himself invent Father Ted so the Irish could stay home and watch television rather than go to mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

When ya get there be sure to ask the priest if it's only symbolism, let us know how you get on.
    well, i meant symbolism as to the time of year we celebrate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Yes and because my opinion differs from yours makes me the target why exactly?

No one goes "Wow, that Mass. I'm just blown away it was soooooo enlightening. I have a new outlook on life."

I don't. The rest do. I f*cking hate it. I'm a joy to be around, really. :pac:

Now that's the media-pumped consumer drilled mind talking. :P

Afternoon Scrooge! :P

Yes, everyone's allowed to have opinions and different traditions. I just don't see why you have to be rude to those who do things in another way than you.
    Miss Olenska did not give "excuses", she said she attends Christmas mass, she said it's a tradition of hers and that she enjoys it.

... Saying that's BS is just mean.

D'awwww snookems. Well that's just your opinion then isn't it? :pac:
    kfallon wrote: »
    Afternoon Scrooge! :P

Howaya! <checks time> Oooh! It is the afternoon. Sweet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'll be going, I love Christmas Day mass.

Heathens, the lot of ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Heathens, the lot of ye.

You're the one celebrating a pagan festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I don't go 364 days a year so no, I won't be wasting one of my favourite days of the year in a poxy church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I prefer going to midnight mass on Christmas Eve, the atmosphere is always much better for some reason. It still counts as Christmas Day mass though as far as I know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Looking forward to heading to mass as a devout Atheist along with my quarter Jewish boyfriend -- I do it for my fairly devout mom, to meet relatives (session back in our place afterwards) and to hear the same old lady blast out O Holy Night year after year :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

o1s1n wrote: »
    Sure didn't the lord himself invent Father Ted so the Irish could stay home and watch television rather than go to mass.

What would you say is behind tomorrow's advent window Father?
    A pair of feckin' women's knickers!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

yutta wrote: »
    To appease the parents/grandparents? Cos it makes you feel good inside? To celebrate the birth of Jesus? To pray for the repose of the souls of your family/friends? Cos you just go every year? Cos Christmas wouldn't be the same without Mass? To celebrate the Holy Sacrafice of the Mass?

From the replies to this OP sofar, I'd love to see the bishops issue a letter to be read out on Christmas day to the a la carte congregation that highlights the hypocrisy of the flock and their utter disregard for going to Mass every Sunday and on Holy Days of Obligation. Remember, it's a mortal sin not to go to Mass!!!

Man, you have problems.....or maybe its just because you're a WUM.;)

I prefer going to midnight mass on Christmas Eve, the atmosphere is always much better for some reason. It still counts as Christmas Day mass though as far as I know?

That's ok. You can still trick god in to thinking the same blasphemer. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

I'm part of the church choir and enjoy the Christmas hymns, especially "O Holy Night" so I will be going to midnight Mass. I know they'll be on the radio but the atmosphere in the church is usually special so I look forward to it.

Many of my friends have stopped going but that is up to each individual and I see no reason for anyone to have an issue either way on someone else's decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

stimpson wrote: »
    You're the one celebrating a pagan festival.

Birth of Christ is a pagan festival?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

nah - haven't been at Christmas mass since i grew up!

:confused::confused::confused:

:pac:
    Clareboy wrote: »
    The word ' Christmas' comes from ' Christ Mass ' that is a mass to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Going to mass on Christmas Day was always a part of Christmas in Ireland and still is for most of us.
    Reeeeeeeeeeealy?

The word 'Thursday' comes from 'Thors day' that is a day to celebrate the god of thunder Thor.
    Do you do anything in particular on Thursdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

I'll be going to Christmas mass as usual. I'm not a practising Catholic i.e. I never usually go to mass but I do feel that attending the major holy days, festivities, sacrifices is worth a great deal, as being part of a congregation where everyone arrives with the same purpose, motivations and values in mind should be greatly appreciated because it helps builds community and some semblance of social continuance in an age where such things are becoming rarer.

Especially at a time where people espouse the common "ME! ME! ME!" attitude and couldn't give a toss about anyone but themselves. This whole thread smacks of the selfish nature of modern Irish.. but really, its hard to find this kind of idiocy, this contemptuous slandering in other parts of Europe/the world on this low level. Backwardness in a nutshell. Christmas in conjunction with our culture still has some part to play at least in bringing us closer together as a family, community and nation, and this is no small feat for an increasingly atomised, fake - individualistic society.

Reeeeeeeeeeealy?

The word 'Thursday' comes from 'Thors day' that is a day to celebrate the god of thunder Thor.
    Do you do anything in particular on Thursdays?

I drink mead. A lot of it. :pac:

Eramen wrote: »
    I'll be going to Christmas mass as usual. I'm not a practising Catholic i.e. I never usually go to mass but I do feel that attending the major holy days, festivities, sacrifices is worth a great deal, as being part of a congregation where everyone arrives with the same purpose, motivations and values in mind should be greatly appreciated because it helps builds community and some semblance of social continuance in an age where such things are becoming rarer. (See all this right here? BS again IMO)

Especially at a time where people espouse the common "ME! ME! ME!" attitude and couldn't give a toss about anyone but themselves. This whole thread smacks of the selfish nature of modern Irish.. but really, its hard to find this kind of idiocy, this contemptuous slandering in other parts of Europe/the world on this low level. Backwardness in a nutshell.

What a lovely high horse you have! Golly gee wizz!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I'll be going to Christmas mass as usual. I'm not a practising Catholic i.e. I never usually go to mass but I do feel that attending the major holy days, festivities, sacrifices is worth a great deal, as being part of a congregation where everyone arrives with the same purpose, motivations and values in mind should be greatly appreciated because it helps builds community and some semblance of social continuance in an age where such things are becoming rarer.

Especially at a time where people espouse the common "ME! ME! ME!" attitude and couldn't give a toss about anyone but themselves. This whole thread smacks of the selfish nature of modern Irish.. but really, its hard to find this kind of idiocy, this contemptuous slandering in other parts of Europe/the world on this low level. Backwardness in a nutshell.

Wow. You obviously glean Christs message from the masses you attend!

Ps you can get "being part of a congregation where everyone arrives with the same purpose, motivations and values in mind" from a pub, cock fighting or volunteering at your local homeless shelter.....

Especially at a time where people espouse the common "ME! ME! ME!" attitude and couldn't give a toss about anyone but themselves. This whole thread smacks of the selfish nature of modern Irish.. but really, its hard to find this kind of idiocy, this contemptuous slandering in other parts of Europe/the world on this low level. Backwardness in a nutshell. Christmas in conjunction with our culture still has some part to play at least in bringing us closer together as a family, community and nation, and this is no small feat for an increasingly atomised, fake - individualistic society.

Everyone meeting up once a year builds community?

Interesting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Christmas has been around a lot longer than Jesus. It was just repackaged a few years back, (like Marathon Bar or Network 2). The mass going is a recent development if you think about it. So by not going you're a real traditionalist. :D

• Advertisement

[/B]
    Wow. You obviously glean Christs message from the masses you attend!

Ps you can get "being part of a congregation where everyone arrives with the same purpose, motivations and values in mind" from a pub, cock fighting or volunteering at your local homeless shelter.....

You don't get it, (do you even want to?) - these things aren't done with the intent of bonding on a level which promotes communal unity or social/religious communion, they are done for pure entertainment. I'm surprised I have to even point this fact out..

Acting in such a way to induce and move forward to a greater good is the aim of mass in general, as it gives an opportunity for people to meet others to work with, all who share a common belief, convictions and religious & cultural identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

What a lovely high horse you have! Golly gee wizz!

Oh the irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

To appease the parents/grandparents? Cos it makes you feel good inside? To celebrate the birth of Jesus? To pray for the repose of the souls of your family/friends? Cos you just go every year? Cos Christmas wouldn't be the same without Mass? To celebrate the Holy Sacrafice of the Mass?

From the replies to this OP sofar, I'd love to see the bishops issue a letter to be read out on Christmas day to the a la carte congregation that highlights the hypocrisy of the flock and their utter disregard for going to Mass every Sunday and on Holy Days of Obligation. Remember, it's a mortal sin not to go to Mass!!!

Since I couldn't be bothered about any mortal sins any other day of the year, why would I bother going to church on christmas?

Everyone meeting up once a year builds community?

Interesting....

I didn't say that you must admit, it's a process like anything else, meeting people of a like mind is a must for communal self-betterment. Mass - the subject of this thread - is just one of MANY opportunities people will have for the society-building and self-refinement. Mass is not an end in itself, but part of a bigger picture of community involvement.

Use your head please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

they are done for pure entertainment. I'm surprised I have to even point this fact out..

What kind of a sicko volunteers at a homeless centre for entertainment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

You don't get it, (do you even want to?) - these things aren't done with the intent of bonding on a level which promotes communal unity or social/religious communion, they are done for pure entertainment. I'm surprised I have to even point this fact out..

Acting in such a way to induce and move forward to a greater good is the aim of mass in general, as it gives an opportunity for people to meet others to work with, all who share a common belief, convictions and religious & cultural identity.

I would somehow doubt that you share a lot of belief or convictions with the OP, so will you two be hissing at each other in mass this christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

OP, why are you so concerned with other people and what they do?

If you go to Mass regularly and feel that you're a good Christian, be happy with that.

Oh the irony.

I know right?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭passarellaie

OP, why are you so concerned with other people and what they do?

If you go to Mass regularly and feel that you're a good Christian, be happy with that.

Fine but let those who dont be respectful of others.The juveniles here who boast about their irreligion is quite pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

This piece of knowledge you posted is misappropriated, because though the outward images of this festival has changed over time, the meaning remains very close to the original. This is what is important. The qualities of the Sun is revered, but significant also because it retells in the Christian tradition of the restorative power of the teachings & life of the God-man Christ, specifically his birth as the beginning of greatness, and his acts which speak of a universal compassion for all life. This brings all of like mind together - whether they be Christian, Atheist, Naturalist, Pagan, etc.

It's not my intent to preach here, just to point out that the tradition remains and the symbolism still relevant. You just have to look below the surface.

What like the symbolism of purposely taking over another religion's festival??
    That's not very compassionate now is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

... I have a feeling this won't end well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

What like the symbolism of purposely taking over another religion's festival??
    That's not very compassionate now is it?

I think it's pretty compassionate. The new religion coming in arranges the celebration of birth of Christ on an existing holiday meaning converts don't have to change their schedule. I think it's quite considerate actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

corktina wrote: »
    Go because you want to go*, otherwise be true to yourself and don't go. Why would you go becuase someone esle wants you to or would be upset if you didn't?

*it doesnt matter WHY you want to go
    Well I go with my grandmother every Christmas. Shes done a lot for me in my life and I reckon I can give up an hour of my time to do something that makes her happy. I don't enjoy it or believe a word thats said. But to know I've made a kind old lady happy on Christmas Eve is a nice feeling.

Plus the pub is only around the corner. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭dilbert2

But molesting altar boys isn’t apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭dilbert2

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Going to mass ruins christmas day. I'll be too busy eating, drinking and opening presents to go to mass.
    Anyway, santa brings me presents, not Jesus. If I'm going to praise anyone that day, it'll be Santa

Sure whichever fictional character floats your boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Sigh, AH just attracts all the untelligunce, doesn't it?

Just listen to yourself man..

Speak for yourself MAN..

Untelligunce???
    Did you make a funny there or something??

So somebody questions your apparently intelligent subjective view, and all you can think to offer as a rebuttal is a personal insult?

Just listen to yourself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Christmas is a PAGAN festival - hijacked by the church. Mortal sin my a*se. :D

Speak for yourself MAN..

Untelligunce???
    Did you make a funny there or something??

So somebody questions your apparently intelligent subjective view, and all you can think to offer as a rebuttal is a personal insult?

Just listen to yourself!!

Sorry I hurt your feelings, but feelings are a subjective also, are they not ? ;)

Your 'question' was insulting, I actually thought it wasn't serious because it contained no real argument. I reckoned it was just the usual semi-senile, smirking kind of questioning of those with long-standing chips on their shoulder.

But hey, enjoy Christmas, whether you be religious or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

dilbert2 wrote: »
    But molesting altar boys isn’t apparently.

Yes it is. Extramarital sex, divorce and masturbation are specifically mentioned as being grave sins. I would gather that molesting an altar boy would be obviously higher up the spectrum than any of these sins.

I know a girl who had an affair with a married man and she was ordered to say a prayer every day for 365 days as part of her penance. And she did it without hesitation. Hell is not a nice place. Nor is purgatory for that matter - and I want to minimise the amount of time I spend there cleansing my soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Yes it is. Extramarital sex, divorce and masturbation are specifically mentioned as being grave sins. I would gather that molesting an altar boy would be obviously higher up the spectrum than any of these sins.

I know a girl who had an affair with a married man and she was ordered to say a prayer every day for 365 days as part of her penance. And she did it without hesitation. Hell is not a nice place. Nor is purgatory for that matter - and I want to minimise the amount of time I spend there cleansing my soul.

And what did the married man do for penance?

Grave or mortal sins only exist if you are Christian anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement