Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to Mass on December 25th?

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

yutta wrote: »
    *waits for some confusing remark about stamp collecting*

Couldnt be any more confusing than this post:eek:
    What?
    Huh?
    Why?
    Stamp collecting forum is that way^^^^^^^^^^^
    Weak posts are just up there ^ as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Really? http://firstchurchofatheism.com/

You meet up quite regularly on various internet fora ridiculing Christians

I only go at Atheistmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

*waits for some confusing remark about stamp collecting*

You find the Stamp Collecting analogy 'Confusing'?? :confused:

Oh...that explains a lot then. :)

[Edit] The OP is referring to the analogy we usually deploy against the silly, "Atheism is just another religion"
    ie. Atheism is a religion if Not collecting stamps is a hobby.

chin_grin wrote: »
    Um. Science has a lot to do with your daily life. It doesn't "end" suddenly at the Leaving Cert and Star Trek (which is science fiction). :pac:

Um. I mean science as related to my atheism . There is this widely held belief that all atheists have arrived where they are due to some advanced interest in science. My knowledge in science is as advanced as my knowledge of geography, economics and metal work and all of which have much to do with my daily life.:P

Eramen wrote: »
    Sorry to get off topic but this will be my only reply:

Unfortunately, modern atheism does resemble a cult because of it's characteristics: it has its own culture, primary & visible leaders, a body of written intellectual, historical and cultural work, a defined support base, a particular group/consensus based reality, authorised events and participations, and of course a dominant evangelical spirit which is so apparent of most religions.
    As does politics, sport, the movie industry,the music industry, pub quiz teams and the catering industry.
    What you are mistaking as cultism is a reluctance to take the crap any more with a drive toward a secular society.
    The rest of your post is vacuous quasi intellectual masturbation with as much substance as any John waters article.
    Take a break.
    Mate.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I prefer going to midnight mass on Christmas Eve, the atmosphere is always much better for some reason. It still counts as Christmas Day mass though as far as I know?
    Yes it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

You meet up quite regularly on various internet fora ridiculing Christians and believers of all sorts. For some reason though, you go easy on the Jews.

Atheism is a belief system and bears all the hallmarks of religion. Science is atheism's deity.

Sadly 'science' has become the 'magic word', if you will, of atheism. It is a word that attempts to silence all debate and appeals to self-justification. It reminds me very much of many Christians interpretation of 'miracles' and its usage in the same fashion.

Modern Theism and Atheism - today - suffer from the same fundamental problems. The problem never was religion or irreligion, hell 95% + of Christians and atheists are the same kind of people, same backgrounds, hopes and dreams, morality etc. The problem is different altogether from what they realise.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I'll be going to Midnight Mass, at 8pm christmas eve...

:confused::confused::confused: Thats Catholics for you.

First they get the year wrong (6BCE)

Then they get the date wrong (It wasnt Dec 25th)

Now theyve even got the bleedin time wrong ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I do my best to go to mass every Sunday,so yeah no doubt i will be in mass either on Christmas day or eve.

• Moderators Posts: 51,866 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused: Thats Catholics for you.

First they get the year wrong (6BCE)

Then they get the date wrong (It wasnt Dec 25th)

Now theyve even got the bleedin time wrong ?

It's to avoid the awkward question at 1am as to why Santa didn't deliver the presents yet. ;)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Usually its nice to go with the family after an arduous, long-winded Satanic Yuletide ritual involving black candles, naked dancing and virgin sacrifice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm not a regular mass goer, I tend to go to church for funerals, christenings, weddings etc but I always enjoy going to mass on Christmas Eve. I love the carols and the getting to meet up with my neighbours and some old school friends who come home for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Atheism is a belief system and bears all the hallmarks of religion. Science is atheism's deity.

No it's not, and no matter how often people say it it will never be the case.

I meant Calvary (as in mount Calvary), not "Calgary" (as in Canadian city).
    Holy Thursday being a reenactment of carvery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Batsy wrote: »
    I like watching the Queen's Speech on the telly at 3pm every Christmas Day. It's tradition.

There was this one Christmas couldnt get home and wound up staying with friends.

Seeing how It was my first Christmas in the UK I decided "when in Rome and all that" and sat with them watching the Queens speech on TV.

Ten minutes later I was asking myself "what the fup was all that about ?" :confused:

A bit like any mass or church service Ive ever been to -except it didn't go on for quite as long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Nope. Would not happen.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

MOD NOTE:
    Knight who says meh / Eramen. Needlessly personal and antagonistic posts.

Do not post in this thread again please or you will be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not gonna happen, haven't been inside a church for anything other than a friend's wedding in years. I'll most likely go for a long run while the family goes to Mass, and work up a nice appetite for the Christmas dinner :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

MOD NOTE:

Typical anti-Catholic tactic. The ACP are right about the anti-Catholic media in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Going to mass? Lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

The only time i go to mass is once a year on my best friends anniversary and that's more or less to keep his parents sweet who are devout Catholics...(Up to them).

Haven't willingly gone to mass since i was about 12. I'm now nearly 33.

Was funny cos being brought up in England to Irish parents we used to come here on holidays and we would be forced to go to mass here to 'impress' the relations who were all good Catholics:D. We were told not to let on to the cousins or anyone that we never attended Mass.
    I live in Ireland since aged 18 and apart from my friends mass (which is about half a sentence, stating his name, is all i go for). the odd funeral/wedding etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Typical anti-Catholic tactic. The ACP are right about the anti-Catholic media in Ireland.

You can almost smell the paranoia from here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I don't go on that date cause I like to have a lie in on Christmas morning. Go to mass Christmas Eve instead. I go cause I have to go not cause I want to.

Don't bother with confession and holy days of obligation. I go to the main ones but not the minor ones wouldn't go to all of them. Mass is mass not much more. Pray yes but what is being said goes over my head. I end up thinking a lot really when in Mass. I really don't understand it and it just goes over my head yet its the same stuff being said over and over again it gets boring. Mind numbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Remember, it's a mortal sin not to go to Mass!!!
    But you're also whinging about people going to mass occasionally being hypocrites, so... damned do, damned don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Nope,I don't believe in the imaginary fella in the sky!

MOD NOTE:

Give an example besides the Fr Kevin Reynolds case, which right-minded people think is appalling.
    Bear in mind that criticism of what's wrong with the church is not anti catholic. They were told not to post again because of their behaviour, not their defence of the catholic religion.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Nope. Would not happen.
    :eek:
    Non Roman catholic in not going to mass shocker!

Here's another obvious fact: my Boards username begins with D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Mod note:

Yutta is banned, so theres no point replying to his posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

A bit too pagan for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

You meet up quite regularly on various internet fora ridiculing Christians and believers of all sorts. For some reason though, you go easy on the Jews.

But science, most definitely exists. :confused:

In regards to masturbation being a mortal sin, so does that mean literally everyone is going to hell? Still trying to figure out how it's sinful....

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Am I the only one that finds the hardened athiests as annoying as the push down your throat religious people!? Seriously, calling religious people "brainwashed" and "indoctrinated" is as redicilous as telling people they will burn in eternal damnation.

I have heard a number of athiests express how free they felt after giving up religion but then spin off in a tangent when someone talks about their faith or whatever! Likewise I've been around religious people that go mental when someone questions their faith.

To me that doesn't sound free of something or having a deeper spiritual awareness. I think these people are as held back as the people/beliefs they have issues with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭dilbert2

cassi wrote: »
    Am I the only one that finds the hardened athiests as annoying as the push down your throat religious people!?

Am I the only one that has a pain in the arse listening to these "sure both sides are as bad as the other" comments day after day in relation to atheism?

cassi wrote: »
    Am I the only one that finds the hardened athiests as annoying as the push down your throat religious people!?
    No you're most definitely not. It's constantly being said.
    I think it's cringey when some people harp on about their atheism as if it's a badge of honour, and worse still, when they seem to think there's something really rebellious about them, but at the same time, there are jibes at atheists in general here - simply for being atheist.
    And if you're an atheist and wish to question/criticise religion, well that's just part of being atheist - it's up to religious people to interpret that as an attack if they want. I would never ridicule someone simply for having faith and not forcing it on people (and I can understand people seeking comfort in something) but I'm an atheist so there's nothing wrong with me stating I personally find the idea of god implausible - not saying I know for certain but I just don't/can't believe.
    Criticism of religion as an institution isn't an attack on individual believers either.

dilbert2 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that has a pain in the arse listening to these "sure both sides are as bad as the other" comments day after day in relation to atheism?

So what, you have to take a hardened position or no position at all??

The folks here who are particularly resentful of all atheists seem about as Christian as Herod on a bad day too...

Quite ironic that they demand respect yet don't show much.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    The folks here who are particularly resentful of all atheists seem about as Christian as Herod on a bad day too...

Quite ironic that they command respect yet don't show much.

Some of the (so called) Christians I know are about as Christian as Herod :eek:!!

In my mind they are no more morally superior than my right shoe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Typh

Just my take. There's unpleasantness on either side of the fence. Some people go at theism/atheism with acid on their tongues. Theists might say it's hip to be godless as a typical dig at vogue atheism, whereas some atheists talk about childhood indoctrination as if there are priests literally waiting outside creches trying to put children into canvas sacks and throw them into a van.

There is often a thinly veiled affiliation between theism and unintelligence that's insinuated here, which is a little unfair. Inversely, people say some atheists are going with some type of faddish tide of secularism. It's a highly individual choice yet it's often condemned by some insult at a vague caricature. More often than not the jibe has all the subtlety and wit as a shovel to the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭dilbert2

Typh wrote: »
    priests literally waiting outside creches trying to put children into canvas sacks and throw them into a van. .

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Not a mission will you see me at Mass on the 25th of December.
    Presents folks, presents!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

feck no, i plan to be zonked on painkillers all day xmas to make it it go quickly in some drugged up haze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yes, bit of a lapsed Catholic myself but I still have my faith and like to check back in again every so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

well thats OK, you can be a Christian and an Atheist at the same time. You just kick that "son of God " bit into touch and keep the good bits Jesus said, whilst believing he really did die on the Cross, mainly becuase he was a threat to the Roman way of life.

Mind you , he decimated the Loaves and Fishes Market....

corktina wrote: »

Mind you , he decimated the Loaves and Fishes Market....

Not to mention the lepers market. Not so much as a by your leave...

Alms for an ex-leper?

Dudess wrote: »
    No you're most definitely not. It's constantly being said.
    I think it's cringey when some people harp on about their atheism as if it's a badge of honour, and worse still, when they seem to think there's something really rebellious about them, but at the same time, there are jibes at atheists in general here - simply for being atheist.
    And if you're an atheist and wish to question/criticise religion, well that's just part of being atheist - it's up to religious people to interpret that as an attack if they want. I would never ridicule someone simply for having faith and not forcing it on people (and I can understand people seeking comfort in something) but I'm an atheist so there's nothing wrong with me stating I personally find the idea of god implausible - not saying I know for certain but I just don't/can't believe.
    Criticism of religion as an institution isn't an attack on individual believers either.
    Your post reads like the thoughts of an agnostic to me.
    Ì thought atheists never questioned or thought about religeon generally.
    Something about having science on their side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Your post reads like the thoughts of an agnostic to me.
    Something about having science on their side.

Atheists have no belief in a god, that's it, nothing else is required to be an atheist.

padd b1975 wrote: »

I thought that was catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Typh wrote: »
    Just my take. There's unpleasantness on either side of the fence. Some people go at theism/atheism with acid on their tongues. Theists might say it's hip to be godless as a typical dig at vogue atheism, whereas some atheists talk about childhood indoctrination as if there are priests literally waiting outside creches trying to put children into canvas sacks and throw them into a van.

Priests are not waiting outside creches, they're blessing babies when they're 3 months old, religious orders are running 80% of schools, they're given time to teach Religion in school. It's a cultural indoctrination. Some people like it, some don't, which is fair enough, and it's better now than it was.

When I was a kid, there most certainly was childhood indoctrination, or possibly the question 'why don't you believe in god?' mightn't have been asked so frequently of me in primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

Yes, or perhaps vigil mass on the 24th. I go to mass on Sundays, most weeks.
    I lost my faith for many years, sought other answers in atheism, the occult, etc. but, found that I'd already had what I needed in the first place.

Atheists have no belief in a god, that's it, nothing else is required to be an atheist.
    Fair enough.

Advertisement