Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Problem

Options
  • 21-11-2011 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

So i applied for my first licence (cz style).I did the safety course go 2 landowners permission and filled up the form correctly.No previous probs with the guards and no reason why i shouldnt get a licence.

I applied 14 weeks ago.I rang 6 weeks ago and was told by a young local guard that it was on pulse and said processing but he would "refreshed it to speed it up"

Still havent got anything in the post ,not even 1 letter so i rang again 6 weeks ago and got the same guard and he was surprised i got nothing in the post.He checked pulse again and siad it was "up in dublin" and awaiting a decision.

Does anyone know is this is bs or not?
    I thought the decision was made by the local guards and sent to dublin for processing.
    None has been out to check the cabinet yet either.

Is it a case of just sitting tight or is it just going throught the steps and it takes time

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

What area are you in out of interest? Some places are much quicker than others, some are really slow. Who is your firearms guard? Find them and contact directly as opposed to speaking to 'a guard'. Try and find out who your supers secretary as I did that that once and had license back within 3 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

sincere113 wrote: »
    What area are you in out of interest? Some places are much quicker than others, some are really slow. Who is your firearms guard? Find them and contact directly as opposed to speaking to 'a guard'. Try and find out your supers secretary as I did that that once and had license back within 3 days...

im in cork county,dont know who the fo is ive just being dealing with the same fella all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

sounds like its going through for you alright altho taking its time. Not an uncommon situation. ring the computer firearms department in the pheonix park they will be able to tell you what the status is 01-6660000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Rubbish , if you're in cork then the local superintendent in cork is the only one who makes a decision , its not up to someone "up in dublin" , the super grants it and you get a grant letter in the post to take to the post office and pay, nothing to do with anyone out side cork as far as i know. The offcer you keep talking to is probabily waiting on the super to make up his mind.

sounds like its going through for you alright altho taking its time. Not an uncommon situation. ring the computer firearms department in the pheonix park they will be able to tell you what the status is 01-6660000
    rowa wrote: »
    Rubbish , if you're in cork then the local superintendent in cork is the only one who makes a decision , its not up to someone "up in dublin" , the super grants it and you get a grant letter in the post to take to the post office and pay, nothing to do with anyone out side cork as far as i know. The offcer you keep talking to is probabily waiting on the super to make up his mind.

Either way, you either trace to Dublin from Cork or the other way its the same outcome. If Dublin have no trace then its still either at local FO or sat on Supers secretary's desk.

• Advertisement

sincere113 wrote: »
    Either way, you either trace to Dublin from Cork or the other way its the same outcome. If Dublin have no trace then its still either at local FO or sat on Supers secretary's desk.
    if its on the system the department in the park or the supers secratery should be able to fill him in on whats going on. I certainly would not be dealing with 'a guard' who happens to answer the phone

if its on the system the department in the park or the supers secratery should be able to fill him in on whats going on. I certainly would not be dealing with 'a guard' who happens to answer the phone

Yup I agree, sound advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

same as kildare said, ring the number he gave you. The crowd who get the licence in dub are civilians and are grand to talk to on the phone (well, unless you get the guy i did) and they only get application once the super approves it, and will have it sent out in no time.
    its the super that causes all the delay.

Best thing to do is call into the station so they cant blow you off on the phone, ask for the Firearms officer and speak to him about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

garv123 wrote: »
    same as kildare said, ring the number he gave you. The crowd who get the licence in dub are civilians and are grand to talk to on the phone (well, unless you get the guy i did) and they only get application once the super approves it, and will have it sent out in no time.
    its the super that causes all the delay.

Best thing to do is call into the station so they cant blow you off on the phone, ask for the Firearms officer and speak to him about it.

thanks guys. I rang dublin but the guy said if it says processing its waiting for the super to ok here locally.He didnt even take my name and look anything up.Also i dropped in my application to the local garda station which is closed half the time and they then pass it on to the nearest big town garda station so which one should i call to?

gearoidol wrote: »
    thanks guys. I rang dublin but the guy said if it says processing its waiting for the super to ok here locally.He didnt even take my name and look anything up.Also i dropped in my application to the local garda station which is closed half the time and they then pass it on to the nearest big town garda station so which one should i call to?
    In that case call the big station and ask to speak to the supers secratery/clerk. they will be the one doing all his paperwork and in the best position to let you know whats happening.

Your story seems to be the same in alot of other cases too where the app has to be sent from a small station to the main station in the district. my first took 8 months!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

............. where the app has to be sent from a small station to the main station in the district. !

Same in my area as it is in a lot of places. A small station does not warrant a Super's presence so when submitting my application i always go to my main station where the Super works from.

Much quicker, and the Gardai in my local are happy enough. They still deal with local applications from farmers, one gun applications, etc, stamp them and pass them onto the main station as neither Gardai in my local are FO's, but for the likes of myself they have no problems with me going to the main station directly.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

Bandon is my local.

Had my first in 8 days..

If thats your local ask to speak with the FO. Shes sound and goes out of her way to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have a license "lost in the system" as well in Cork. Not as long as yours but I was told this week to re-apply by the Guards.

I was told at the gun club that this is not uncommon at the moment and there is a theory that it is to weed out people who are impulse buying or first time licensees. A tactic that appears to be working is to follow up the application with a call after a week or two.

krissovo wrote: »
    I have a license "lost in the system" as well in Cork. Not as long as yours but I was told this week to re-apply by the Guards.

I was told at the gun club that this is not uncommon at the moment and there is a theory that it is to weed out people who are impulse buying or first time licensees. A tactic that appears to be working is to follow up the application with a call after a week or two.
    Bleedin joke that, if i 'lost' something as important as that application in work there would be a problem for me, repeatadly loose it and id be sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭howa .223

i heard that in our local station they wait until they get a few applicants then process them together now this is what i heard and may not be true but it came from a reliable source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Your story seems to be the same in alot of other cases too where the app has to be sent from a small station to the main station in the district. my first took 8 months!

as did mine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

juice1304 wrote: »
    as did mine

!

tac

Advertisement