Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Walnut Finish

Options
  • 21-11-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭

I got some T&G walnut from work, leftovers from a new floor that was laid.

The missus wanted a welly box for outside the backdoor.

I had a few hours free on saturday and sunday and made this. (dont worry I filled that triangular gap :) )

welliebox.jpg

So how should I finish it for outdoor use?

I have a tin of yacht varnish, is this suitable or should I use some oil type product?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

JB

First thing to do is to raise the box off the ground/concrete otherwise it will rot in no time at all.

Marine Varnish because you have it, thin out the first couple of coats and then 6 - 12 coats straight out of the can. Pay particular attention to the exposed board ends as they act like a sponge. Multiple light coats of finish are much better than a slopped on heavy coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Tis unfinished in that pic, and yeah, it's sitting on two runners underneath to keep it up.

at €20/l I'm in no rush to use the yacht varnish if an oil for half (or less) the price will protect it just as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Tis unfinished in that pic, and yeah, it's sitting on two runners underneath to keep it up.

at €20/l I'm in no rush to use the yacht varnish if an oil for half (or less) the price will protect it just as well.
    There was a long term experiment carried out on the protection given by various finishes. (It's in a book I have, will post results if necessary)

Nothing beat yacht varnish.

It's gone awfully expensive though - is this to do with the price of oil?

I was thinking of 4 stainless , 14 x 50 mm stainless steel lag bolts applied to the runners and left 20mm proud of the runner, to act as feet.

Walnut is not a particularly good exterior timber as it absorbs moisture and becomes punkey especially the sapwood. Heartwood not so much.

Try one of the Sikkens Cetol finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Yacht it is so folks, I'll get it sanded at the weekend and throw on a few coats.

good idea on the feet, but it's going to be on gravel so just might have to accept the runners as sacrificial I guess.

• Advertisement

JB
    Set four small piece of flagstone or paver's loosely in the gravel as a base for the feet.
    Wicking is the problem and feet are the answer.
    The sacrificial runner will wick moisture to the box carcass, much to nice a box to sacrifice in my opinion. ;)

Good Luck

Advertisement