Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclubs searching handbags?

Options
  • 21-11-2011 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

What is the law regarding nightclubs searching hand bags

There is a well known night club in Dundalk that has begun doing this, obviously looking to see if you are taking your own booze in with you, but do they have any right to do this?

I wouldnt imagine so?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

you don't have to go into the club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

If you don't like it then don't go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I doubt they're looking for booze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    There is a well known night club in Dundalk that has begun doing this, obviously looking to see if you are taking your own booze in with you, but do they have any right to do this?

Which one? Theres only 2!

I never get my handbag searched going into either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

KeithM89 wrote: »

They don't bother the really pretty people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

orourkeda wrote: »
    I doubt they're looking for booze

Its booze alright clubs are losing out big time to this at the moment they don`t really care about the other stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I wouldnt imagine so?
    Ah see there's your first problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I assume they do have the right.... Somewhere I frequent in Dublin does this too.

At least it's not like London.... I've been more thoroughly searched there going into a club than I have going into an airport. Assume they were looking for weapons and the like though.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

Maybe coz your name is Keith?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

You gave the doorman a bj, didn't you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

And rightly so. Who knows what the wimminz carry in those handbags. Probably Narnia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I wouldnt imagine so?

You don't have to let them search your hand bag but they don't have to let you into the club either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

h2005 wrote: »
    Its booze alright clubs are losing out big time to this at the moment they don`t really care about the other stuff

weapons? drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

This is kind of gross just to warn you!
    One day we were going into a club.
    My friend had gotten her period in our friend's house just before we left, and had borrowed a pair of underwear.
    She had her stained pants in her bag.
    She only remembered when we got to the door and they wanted to search her bag.
    She was mortified!
    It was someone's birthday, so we kind of had to go in.
    She was there trying to convince them that she had no drink in the bag, but because she was kicking up such a big stink, they got really suspicious.
    In the end she just opened it, and tbh I think the bouncers were more embarrassed than she was.

But ever since then, I have kind of thought that you could have anything in your bag.
    It's a bit of an invasion of privacy alright.

At the same time, of course they need to check for drink/drugs etc...
    So I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

They are not checking fellas pockets for drugs?

Only hand bags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

They are not checking fellas pockets for drugs?

Only hand bags

They are looking for drink, not drugs. Pockets can't carry much drink. You could fit the entire nights worth of drink for three people into some of the hand bags girls drag around with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

I think we all know what they are checking for but let's at least try to answer the OP's question.

Bouncers are NOT police, so how do they have the right to stop and search a private citizen?

(lets assume for moment that we're not idiots and are aware of the repercussions of refucing a search ie not being let in)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A sniffer dog with a drink problem is whats needed here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

There's a classy nightclub in Printworks in Manchester where not only you get your bag searched but you also have to walk through a metal detector :cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Just leave a few tampons soaked in ketchup near the top of the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

As I recall don't you have to put up a sign about this "Conditions of Entry" patrons agree to a reasonable search .... isn't it on the back of ticketmaster tickets, the same thing ? Not sure if you can do it without the sign, or without a clearly defined policy regarding goods. It is perfectly legal for example to bring 6 cans into a nightclub ( You might be bringing them home with you later, it's not illegal to drink them there either, it's only against club rules if you drink them there and then, and then only if its clearly set out in "Conditions of Entry" )

Finally does the licence/insurance a bouncer has cover searches ? Let's say he gets spiked with the needle you and your mates have been shooting up with. Whose fault is that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Why not just wear a Burkha with your Naggin underneath.
    Then discard it in the jacks.

They'll be too afraid of causing offence to search you then! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

yeah this is kinda pissing me off now. the sub lounge on tara st in dublin do this all the time, and i went into the george on halloween and they did too. i never bring drink anywhere so it's not like i'm pissed off cause they're going to stop me, but this is uncalled for. and yeah they should have to have signs up. of course it's legal for them to do it, but they should have to warn you about them doing it on their premises.

and they probably only do it to women because a) it's harder (teehee) to conceal drink in a mans pocket and b) because I'd reckon more women than men bring in drinks.

and yes of course if you don't like it you go elsewhere, but this is going to become more and more widespread and then you really won't have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Seen this for the first time at the weekend in Drogheda. They weren't stopping all girls just random people in the queue. A girl just up from us wasn't allowed in because she had a bottle of vodka in her bag, but then they didnt bother to stop my girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I wouldnt imagine so?

Well they do, so that's just the way it is.

If you want to refuse a search that's fine but they don't have to let you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

trellheim wrote: »
    It is perfectly legal for example to bring 6 cans into a nightclub ( You might be bringing them home with you later, it's not illegal to drink them there either, it's only against club rules if you drink them there and then, and then only if its clearly set out in "Conditions of Entry" )

I'm open to correction but I am nearly sure that there is some legislation that states "only food and drink bought on the premises may be consumed on the premises". You may (or may not) be entitled to bring it in but drinking it is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Waste of time, all the classy birds strap the naggins to their thighs these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

trellheim wrote: »
    Finally does the licence/insurance a bouncer has cover searches ? Let's say he gets spiked with the needle you and your mates have been shooting up with. Whose fault is that ?

Yes it does...the PSA course covers both bag and body searches.

As for the insurance issue, that would be covered by the venues insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

You don't have to enter. It's condition of entry. As long as you want to enter, you have to consume to a search.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Good luck to them searching my handbag. :pac:

Its like a bottomless pit, I can never find my lip balm, or my phone before it stops ringing or my purse half the time. It was worse when I used to smoke, about 10 lighters and I still coudnt find one rooting around in there.

Advertisement