Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclubs searching handbags?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

-best not to advocate pruprosely infecting bouncers with diseases-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    I think we all know what they are checking for but let's at least try to answer the OP's question.

Bouncers are NOT police, so how do they have the right to stop and search a private citizen?

(lets assume for moment that we're not idiots and are aware of the repercussions of refucing a search ie not being let in)

Its not a 'stop and search', by entering the club the customer is consenting to have their bag searched by security - you don't like it, go elsewhere.

Tbh I'd hate to be out with a GF and have it done so I'd avoid such places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

AeoNGriM wrote: »

Bouncers are NOT police, so how do they have the right to stop and search a private citizen?

What on earth is a private citizen?.

Is it like being shy?

stovelid wrote: »

Is it like being shy?

Yes.

And a rank in the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Which one? Theres only 2!

I never get my handbag searched going into either...

definite secterianism

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Wouldn't blame them searching, clubs have large overheads, if you want a BYO venue go to an Indian restaurant. Plus it's Dundalk high, all those empty naggins and shoulders will end up bottling someone that can't explain what they're looking at when questioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Dont goto nightclubs anymore.
    But its f**ked up the hear some places are checking bags.

They probably have some stupid legal right to do so since its 'there premises'. But lets be honest no one has a right to look in your bag when you are minding your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

stovelid wrote: »

Is it like being shy?

It's what you get to be if you sign up to fight the bugs!

FOR BUENOS AIRES!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've had plenty a conversation with managers of places over this kind of stuff. Searches/runners/straight refusals are illegal, unless there is a sign stating it to potential customers. If it says R.O.A.R or Conditions of Entry, they can do pretty much what they like however.

Just thinking, what's stopping someone saying that when their bag was searched, the person took out €100. Whilst clubs state "no liability for loss or damage" that liability is waived the moment they force you to hand over your bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

antodeco wrote: »
    Just thinking, what's stopping someone saying that when their bag was searched, the person took out €100.

Most clubs would have cameras on the door. They'd be able to show clearly that the bouncer didn't take anything.

I've been asked to open bags going into pubs in the evening if it looks like it could potentially hold drink. It never bothers me - I open it and let them look in.

The amount of empty cans and naggins you see in the toilets of some pubs I'm not surprised that it happens and indeed I've seen this happening for years, not sure why people are so surprised about it.

Leftist wrote: »

I remember seeing that.
    -snip-

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I remember seeing that.
    Did you ever see the ones with the russian doormen/gang :D they make this guy look wholesome. The point is door staff take the law into their own hands, the only way to fight against it is to refuse to use the business.

Avoiding nightclubs in dundalk I would think would be a positive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

How many times have you been assaulted by a bouncer?

Did you ever see the ones with the russian doormen/gang :D they make this guy look wholesome. The point is door staff take the law into their own hands, the only way to fight against it is to refuse to use the business.

Avoiding nightclubs in dundalk I would think would be a positive?

Haha. Yeah, would be positive.
    I hate bouncers. Yeah sure they are people so both good and bad and all that crap but when that coat comes on the power trip comes with it too. Former bouncer once told me that about himself but mainly others he was working with. Seemingly alright blokes outside the job but when the coat went on utter wan*ers.

TheZohan wrote: »
    How many times have you been assaulted by a bouncer?

Twice.

Haha. Yeah, would be positive.
    I hate bouncers. Yeah sure they are people so both good and bad and all that crap but when that coat comes on the power trip comes with it too. Former bouncer once told me that about himself but mainly others he was working with. Seemingly alright blokes outside the job but when the coat went on utter wan*ers.

I guess in summer time when the weather is too warm for coats they were "alright blokes" again?.

Twice.

Diddums.

I guess in summer time when the weather is too warm for coats they were "alright blokes" again?.

No need to be sarcastic Crosby Nervous Sibling.
    But its funny actually, a sarcastic comment from someone who i am sure has stated they were a bouncer before on here.

So i'll be expecting bias comments from you ;)

No need to be sarcastic Makikomi.
    But its funny actually, a sarcastic comment from someone who i am sure has stated they were a bouncer before on here.

So i'll be expecting bias comments from you ;)

Not really, I've also stated here that I've worked with plenty of idiots.. But they were idiots regardless what clothes they wore, coats made no difference what so ever.

• Advertisement

.................. Former bouncer once told me that about himself but mainly others he was working with. Seemingly alright blokes outside the job but when the coat went on utter wan*ers.

I've never had an unpleasant experience with a bouncer as such, I was asked to leave a pub in Cork a year or so ago, I did, the bouncer, who is a humoungous chap thanked me for leaving without me making an issue of it, they have a job to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    What is the law regarding nightclubs searching hand bags

There is a well known night club in Dundalk that has begun doing this, obviously looking to see if you are taking your own booze in with you, but do they have any right to do this?

I wouldnt imagine so?

Not sure of the 'law' if there is such a law but I'm sure it's still a breach of privacy somehow and who's really going to challenge it in a court, which they know anyone wont.

I'm aware that searching a handbag is not essentially searching the body but still think it's very unfair (not to mention embarrassing and inconvenient) because men always have heavier and more items of clothing on (such as heavy jacket, trousers with more pockets, socks to hide the minatures haha), which can conceal naggins/opened bottles/even weapons easily.
    They don't make men take off their jackets to search them.
    I mean why should they have a right to search a handbag (targeting women) as opposed to men - just because woman carry bags, yet a jacket to a man is equivalent to a handbag (sorry men).

I'd be shocked if male bouncers were allowed to go through a woman's possessions, surely ther must be a woman bouncer to do that?
    But I doubt it, huh?

Also it's just plain stupid because women can tape liqor to their thighs :) if they so wish (I've seen it) and the only thing that could possibly come between them and lashing the liqor into a mineral in the loos would be security staff taking said mineral off customer outside the loos (which a few places I know do this) HOWEVER...
    TWO ways round this too: drink liqor straight up IN loo (not literally :eek:)
    or be bold and sneak it in to mineral with back turned in packed corner of club :)
    They could also hold liqor in gob, rather like a mouthwash...and you know the rest...

Only the Gardai and airport security should have the right to rifle a bag.
    And only pub/club and concert staff if as someone else said there's a metal detector present and it goes off.

If you're caught with your own drink then fine, kick someone out.
    Publicans should blame (and amend) their own price fixing for the cause, instead of inflicting mass suspicion on any woman with a handbag - ALL women.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

No to both. It's the wired ear piece. MI5 anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

But I'll come back to the same point. If you go into a nightclub with 6 cans of lager, intending taking them home for later, you're breaking no law.

Can anyone recall seeing signs into nightclubs saying

"Only alcohol bought on the premises may be consumed on the premises"

AND

"It is a condition of entry that you consent to a search of your person and belongings for the following items <insert list> "

trellheim wrote: »
    But I'll come back to the same point. If you go into a nightclub with 6 cans of lager, intending taking them home for later, you're breaking no law.

Can anyone recall seeing signs into nightclubs saying

"Only alcohol bought on the premises may be consumed on the premises"

AND

"It is a condition of entry that you consent to a search of your person and belongings for the following items <insert list> "

Loads of times actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Irish people get away really light when it comes to having people sift through their stuff. After Israel, I became so immune to someone poking and prodding at my personal items that it was almost second nature to fling an open bag at the security on the door whenever I went to a supermarket / shopping center / cinema or whatever. Although there's always the dodgy moment when they open your case at the bus or train stations and you're praying to fook that they won't pull out anything particularly cringe worthy.
    The only time someone's checked my bag has been going into clubs, and if anything it's a nostalgic experience :P

csi vegas wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if male bouncers were allowed to go through a woman's possessions, surely ther must be a woman bouncer to do that?

Only the Gardai and airport security should have the right to rifle a bag.

But that's the point. They don't claim to have the right to search your bag. They just have the right to refuse admission. You ask can you enter, and they request to search your purse (obviously in a big queue this isn't done through words, but this is what's happening when you queue and they search your bag). By queuing up for them, you're accepting that they will search your bag, and if you don't want them to search your bag you're more than within your rights to drop out of the queue. They're not forcing you to do anything.

I think it's a case of wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

trellheim wrote: »
    Only alcohol bought on the premises may be consumed on the premises"

I think I have actually have seen signs similar to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

I'm past the days of sneaking drink into nightclubs, but I did have this bag that had two sections so I'd put the drink in one section and hold the other one wide open for her to check it ;)
    I also used to put the drink into my coat pocket & carry it over my arm and pretend not be freezing :D the things we do....and half the time it was cheap drink for students night anyway :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

This is just another thing bouncers do so that can think they're important -

Advertisement