Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public transport in Cork

Options
  • 21-11-2011 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I'm currently conducting research for my engineering masters thesis in UCD, which is concerned with improving the public transport network in Cork City by installing a high capacity, high frequency rapid transit service in the city. I would be greatly appreciative if you would take part in a short survey I have created, so that your views in relation to public transport in Cork can be gauged. This survey should take no more than 1 minute to complete. The link to it is:
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/P5ZTW73

I would be very grateful if you could take the time to complete the survey. Thanks!

Comments

What discipline is your engineering masters in?
    I did the survey just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I did it too!

What is your idea of a a high capacity, high frequency rapid transit service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 roebchea

Thanks! It's in civil engineering, and when in terms of high capacity, high frequency public transport, that generally means either Metro, Light Rail Transit or Bus Rapid Transit. Metro is the likes of the London Underground, the Luas in Dublin is a kind of LRT, whilst BRT systems are usually like LRT lines, in terms of their priority over other traffic and their stations, only using buses rather than trains. There's a lot of variation within each mode though, the highest capacity BRT lines, in the likes of Bogotá, have capacities similar to metros, for instance. For Cork, BRT would probably be the most appropriate of the three, as it is the most suited to the likely capacities, and as it is significantly cheaper to build than LRT, it would be more likely to get implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

I did the survey.
    I would say, your last question was a bit confusing...it's only really relavant if you live work outside of Cork, or maybe in Mallow/Cobh/Little island, other than that rail travel doesn't make sense. Or maybe you consider that based on the answer to where you normally work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Survey done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

It's a shame the old rail network is so neglected.
    A light tram like the Laus could work using the Old Passage line through the city centre and out to Bishopstown passing UCC, The Bons, CUH and finishing in the CIT.
    Personally I think the Mallow and Mideton lines are useless unless you work in the city centre which only only a fraction of people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

we need a monorail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

we need a monorail

I know just the guy!

9f10-big.jpg

Advertisement