Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where the Real Power Is?

• 21-11-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭

Is it me or are we being taken for mugs in this country.

I have come to a decision that after xmas I will be leaving this country and the reaon being that the hard decisions that the gov need to take are being fudged

Going forward from today not taking anything else from the past ..We are still the most indebted nation in the world and borrowin 18billion to keep the lights on. So what are the gov proposing
    We see increases in VAT This will see less VAT raised as people will head north more and more as has happended before.
    We see cuts to the dole (which is needed unfortunately)
    We will see increases in other taxes

And then we have this supposed Public Sector reform..Which supposedly will save 140million in the next 3 years..But the unfortunate part is that the gov have not costed the increase in pensions / dole that the 22.5k people losing their job in the public sector over the next 3 years..We may infact lose money on this.

So instead of tickling around the edges why dont the gov cut PS pay and then abolish stealth taxes and allowences and allow everyone to pay according to their mean..Also all income including savings and pensions, childrens allowence should be taxed as income aswell..As its all money or profits regardless of how it comes about.

There should be a staggered approach to this starting at say 250k..
    So anyone earning over 250k in the ps should have that propotion cut by 75%.
    between 200 and 250k cut by 60%...
    150k - 200k - by 50%
    100k - 150 - by 25%
    50k - 100k - by 10%

The same approach should apply with pensions and wages ...This means those able to pay most pay most but still have extra money for doing whatever they do to get that cash...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

fliball123 wrote: »
    Is it me or are we being taken for mugs in this country.

I have come to a decision that after xmas I will be leaving this country and the reaon being that the hard decisions that the gov need to take are being fudged

Going forward from today not taking anything else from the past ..We are still the most indebted nation in the world and borrowin 18billion to keep the lights on. So what are the gov proposing
    We see increases in VAT This will see less VAT raised as people will head north more and more as has happended before.
    We see cuts to the dole (which is needed unfortunately)
    We will see increases in other taxes

And then we have this supposed Public Sector reform..Which supposedly will save 140million in the next 3 years..But the unfortunate part is that the gov have not costed the increase in pensions / dole that the 22.5k people losing their job in the public sector over the next 3 years..We may infact lose money on this.

So instead of tickling around the edges why dont the gov cut PS pay and then abolish stealth taxes and allowences and allow everyone to pay according to their mean..Also all income including savings and pensions, childrens allowence should be taxed as income aswell..As its all money or profits regardless of how it comes about.

150k - 200k - by 50%
    100k - 150 - by 25%
    50k - 100k - by 10%

The same approach should apply with pensions and wages ...This means those able to pay most pay most but still have extra money for doing whatever they do to get that cash...

You are like a broken record on this one. Have you not heard about the Croke Park Agreement?

I have showed many times that the budget deficit can be reduced to 3% without touching either basic social welfare rates, income tax rates or public service pay levels.

As for your suggestions, they are quite bizarre in some of their effects. For example, a person now on 250k (if there are any left??) would end up on 62.5k, a person on 170k would end up on 85k while a person on 140k would end up on 105k. Meanwhile the guy on 99k would end up on 90k. People would be earning more than their boss, how does that work as motivation? did you put any real thought or analysis into your proposal or was it dreamt up on the back of an envelope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭fliball123

Godge wrote: »
    You are like a broken record on this one. Have you not heard about the Croke Park Agreement?

I have showed many times that the budget deficit can be reduced to 3% without touching either basic social welfare rates, income tax rates or public service pay levels.

As for your suggestions, they are quite bizarre in some of their effects. For example, a person now on 250k (if there are any left??) would end up on 62.5k, a person on 170k would end up on 85k while a person on 140k would end up on 105k. Meanwhile the guy on 99k would end up on 90k. People would be earning more than their boss, how does that work as motivation? did you put any real thought or analysis into your proposal or was it dreamt up on the back of an envelope?

Well when the fcuking record player stops making a bollox of it then I will disgard the broken record...Whats your point about the CPA that is protecting PS wage?? How would a person be on 62.5k if they were on 250k? I am talking about an accumulated approach as in only wages or money earned over 250 is taxed that amount??? like our current income tax system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Filiball you could get a job with the sunday indo you're so obsessed with the public sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I'm getting a sense of deja vu here..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Is this going to be another continuous rant or will it contain any element of discussion and debate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Paulzx

woodoo wrote: »
    Filiball you could get a job with the sunday indo you're so obsessed with the public sector.

Maybe he's actually Eoghan Harris in disguise?

Fleaball, do you feel bad because RTE never ask you to come on their shows and have you a compulsion to talk constantly about how badly Southern protestants were treated?

Oh..you do. Its definetly Eoghen Harris so

Paulzx wrote: »
    Maybe he's actually Eoghan Harris in disguise?

Fleaball, do you feel bad because RTE never ask you to come on their shows and have you a compulsion to talk constantly about how badly Southern protestants were treated?

Oh..you do. Its definetly Eoghen Harris so

Have a go all you want guys but when you are backed into a corner by the unions and you see decisions like cutting the dole .. Now I accept this will not impact on some on the dole but for the majority it will and you see this shambles of an attempt of Public sector cutting which will save little if not cost us money ..You have to ask yourself who the fcuk are making these decisions..and I will keep asking and I will continue until it is tackled..So yes its the same attack but under new parameters..So much for the dole will not be cut?? next will be an announment of tax rises...Will the CPA be torn up??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

But the unfortunate part is that the gov have not costed
    Go on the fliball, how much would these meansures save?. Can you give me any figures for the amount of people in the Public Service being paid in these bands?
    150k - 200k - by 50%
    100k - 150 - by 25%
    50k - 100k - by 10%

Dodge wrote: »
    Go on the fliball, how much would these meansures save?. Can you give me any figures for the amount of people in the Public Service being paid in these bands?

Not sure but surely if we are taxing people who earn the most and cutting the people who earn the most, we are saving and increasing taxes at the same time therefore reducing our deficit??? Did you look at the whole post..I suggested doing away with tax credits and other stealth taxes and taxing on the same incremental scale aswell ...and all sources of income alla savings, pensions and other areas where people get money be subjected to the same..Id say we would have closed or be very close to having our deficit wiped out..We could then turn around and give the 2 fingers to the IMF/ECB and the germans and say no we aint paying these bondholders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Not sure

Get back to us when you've done the sums.

• Advertisement

Get back to us when you've done the sums.

I am not bothering to do any sums...Look they can fanny about all the want but the current way that they are doing things is not working...I dont want my tax to be increased but in order to get out of the current predicament it has to be and it will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I am not bothering to do any sums...Look they can fanny about all the want but the current way that they are doing things is not working...I dont want my tax to be increased but in order to get out of the current predicament it has to be and it will be

About the only thing this thread had going for it was the possibility you might do the sums to back up your suggestions.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement