Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEXACO in Crumlin Road is charging for the air

Options
  • 21-11-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

TEXACO
    Crumlin Service Station
    237 Crumlin Rd, Crumlin, Dublin 12, Dublin

is charging You 20 cent for the air for Your car tyres !!!

sam2692a.jpg Air vending machine

sam2695e.jpg 20 cent for 3 minutes

What do You think about it? Is that not ridiculous?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Bit idiotic all right. Go to Topaz. You do need to pop a euro in to release the pump. But it's like a shopping trolley, you get it back.

Also how tough are these pumps made. I mean what's stopping me coming along with a screwdriver and a hammer and going at it to get some change? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I dont really see the problem to be honest; while air itself is free the machine to get it in your tires isnt so why shouldnt you pay for the use of the machine?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

An air compressor is not cheap, nor is the cost of repairs to the machine caused by heavy handed customers.

If you don't want to pay for it go somewhere else, that is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I always thought that garages had to provide certain services (like air) in order to be allowed sell petrol/diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Kreator1984

Turner wrote: »
    An air compressor is not cheap, nor is the cost of repairs to the machine caused by heavy handed customers.

If you don't want to pay for it go somewhere else, that is free.

The cost of repairs of the shopping trolleys is equal or even higher ( look at the amount of them at any for example Tesco ) than this machine but they dont charge for trolleys. I dont see the reason then why Texaco has to charge their customers for the air whilst other garages have it for free.
    Texaco simply is going to make money on it and use their customers - it is not about money ( 20 c is not much ) but it is about loyalty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The cost of repairs of the shopping trolleys is equal or even higher ( look at the amount of them at any for example Tesco ) than this machine but they dont charge for trolleys.
    Of course they do, but it's built into the cost of your shopping. The difference is someone can avail of the air pump for free and not pay the garage for any other service or product. So in this case the garage is charging a nominal fee to cover their expense.

As a consumer you have the right to take your business elsewhere and any sensible person would do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

That's a shame. I reckon I'll still pay it though. That particular station is the only one around that area that has the PSI reader which lets you know when you've reached your desired level - worth the money really.

Since they were branded stations, licensed by the big corporations should take care of their prestige as well as of their customer who leave a lot of money not only for fuel, but also all kinds of shopping in the store.

Unfortunately, the drivers have long been treated as deers are poking fun at the money.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

mayb its time you should invest in a pump from argos or somewhere if 20c is unaceptable,,
    Its understandable that the machine costs money to run and maintain so they need to pay for it,but they allready make so much money that the 20c shouldnt be needed

how often do people put air in their tyres anyway?once a month? i could see it becoming an issue if you have to put air in every day or 2

CyberJuice wrote: »
    mayb its time you should invest in a pump from argos or somewhere if 20c is unaceptable,,
    Its understandable that the machine costs money to run and maintain so they need to pay for it,but they allready make so much money that the 20c shouldnt be needed

how often do people put air in their tyres anyway?once a month? i could see it becoming an issue if you have to put air in every day or 2

All right, thinking in this way , in few months or years they will start to charge us for the tissues, toilet, water, gloves beside the pumps, and then 20c will be aceptable as well ???

• Advertisement

Well, why shouldn't they charge for those? They're not charities so why should they give anything for free? Sure you can make the argument that its good customer service but I personally have never used those things (except the air) so as a customer I would be much happier if they were independently financed by those who use them rather than being built into the cost of the fuel as they currently are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

They're entitled to charge for it if they want but I see it as being scabby so I try to avoid buying fuel or shop stuff from the places that charge for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭DFB BOY

The only place i have seen that does'nt charge you or ask you to make a euro deposit (which you get back)is Discount Fuels on Kimmage road beside the Esso garage,they also have the psi reader on the compressor too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Maxol on the Crumlin Road at the Canal is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

In the UK every garage Ive seen charges 20p to use the compressor for 3 mins. So when you think about it were still getting off better than te brits, better value for air.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

for a long time that garage was the cheapest for petrol/daysul in the area (not sure if it still is given my new location) so I wouldn't really begrudge this €0.20

Keith186 wrote: »
    They're entitled to charge for it if they want but I see it as being scabby so I try to avoid buying fuel or shop stuff from the places that charge for it.

Thing is though your going to be paying for it anyway because it'll just be built into the cost of the fuel. At least by charging for the stuff they're being up front about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

DFB BOY wrote: »
    ...Discount Fuels on Kimmage road beside the Esso garage,they also have the psi reader on the compressor too ;)

Good to know! Thanks! :D

brownacid wrote: »
    In the UK every garage Ive seen charges 20p to use the compressor for 3 mins. So when you think about it were still getting off better than te brits, better value for air.

In Poland every garage has free air and water :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

In Poland every garage has free air and water :D
    it costs less ( in labour alone) to run a garage in Poland than in Dublin.

no air is free, it either has to be paid for through coins or through something else like fuel sales.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

TEXACO
    Crumlin Service Station
    237 Crumlin Rd, Crumlin, Dublin 12, Dublin

is charging You 20 cent for the air for Your car tyres !!!

sam2692a.jpg Air vending machine

sam2695e.jpg 20 cent for 3 minutes

That's a joke, since when does the irish independent come in two size's?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Jesus.
    No wonder the country is shagged.
    People lining up to defend a garage charging for bloody air.
    Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

I've seen a Maxol station on the Fairyhouse Road is now charging for
    air.I tought it was a joke.
    Before this I would go there for air and then get other stuff like petrol,
    bread,milk but not anymore.So they are losing out on my custom because
    of this.
    I'm now gonna go to the new (ish) Gulf petrol station (Ashbourne/Ratoath)thats on my way home anyway.
    Oh and they sell lovely home made bread.

Advertisement