Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Xmas tree lights, any good?

• 21-11-2011 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody has any solar xmas tree lights outside in their garden / on a tree and do they work well taking into account the dull wet grey days we tend to get a lot of?

If they work, how many hours of illumination do you get?

Where did you source them? and would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Deepwell

I have some, though they were not sold as christmas lights. I forget whether there are 16 or 24 LEDS's on the string. Works great during the summer - they have a light sensor and only come on when its getting dark and will stay lit for virtually the entire night.

But during the winter forget it, on a dull day they might only last an hour or so. However it will depend on the number of Led's and the quatity/capacity of the batteries. Doubt it will work great during long dark winter nights with dull days..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

deepwell you are lucky...every single time i get sucker punched for solar. IMHO they are total sh1te. most you get is an hour or so and thats angling them for the sun just in case someone thinks i am just lobbing them out in the garden.. so at 5 or 6pm they are gone until tomorrow. if you got a very clear day well then you get longer...but count how often that happens here.

now to be fair i am talking the b&q ones. i guess if you had a larger panel you would get better results but then you are in bigger bucks. bought some on ebay as well, slightly better but not by much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Hi all,

I just bought 4x Battery operated Christmas lights @5.99 from aldi.
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_19349.htm Batteries included and a 3 yr warranty.

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly. But ye might know. Can I waterproof these lights using WD-40 or Aldi's outdoor waterproof spray?? Or HOW could I waterproof them?

I was going to put the controller inside a handy bag and rubber band it plus dispersant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Anyone?

Edit. Its sorted. I asked a real electrician today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

good, I hope he charged you real money. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement