Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary wall ownership,where to find out??

• 21-11-2011 3:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

My best mate is having some issues with a neighbour over ownership of a garden boundary wall.

Where can he he find out exactly who owns the wall?

The wall is partly on his land,and partly on the neighbours land too.The wall pillars are on the neighbours land though

So who own the wall and where can this be found out?

Many thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I would imagine either the Local Authority or the Ordinance Survey.

My (extremely limited) understanding of boundary walls, however, is that they are jointly owned between both parties - I'm open to correction on this, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Notoriously difficult area of land law this. It could be you or him or jointly owned. If jointly then sometimes deeds will show who has responsibility for the upkeep.You first point of call will be yours and your neighbours land deeds.

Then you can try http://www.landregistry.ie/eng/

It will need some detective work if this doesn't solve the issue.

TT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

there was a post a while ago on this where it was suggested that neither party owned it:) search the forum

Advertisement