Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking at the school on New Road in Ennis

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Kiwipower - I really admire what you are trying to achieve here but I beginning to think that it might be more appropriate for you to write to the school's principal/board of management outlining your concerns, while also putting forward your proposals to improve the safety of pupils at school start and finish times. I'm sure that such a letter would be taken very seriously by any school board.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

angelfire9 wrote: »
    My eldest attends the CBS and with the current number of pupils is 621
    Ennis National for ye're information has 628!
    The building project for Ennis NS appears to be on the back burner even though they have a site allocated & the entrance road is even done no idea what is going on there :confused:

The CBS have been campaigning quietly for years to be allowed to build a new school on the current grounds if they got the permission the current buildings & prefabs could be removed and limited car parking would be available
    There are no funds available unfortunately :(
    My eldest is in a classroom this year that was built before the famine :eek:
    Yet the department of education deems it suitable for kids
    Part of their school building is not wheelchair accessible (the oldest block)
    Fire exits and external stairs were only added to the old building in 2009 following a health & safety audit

Yes parking is a problem
    And yes there is chaos on the road most days (particularly when it is wet)
    Yes the traffic warden & the Gardai issue tickets to idiots that double park and block access
    Yes there are double yellow lines on both sides of the road but where pray tell are parents supposed to park to pick up their kids?
    The council car park is for parking on county council buildings not picking up kids from the school down the road there would be uproar if parents started using it for that!

To be honest I think as a parent who actually has a child at that school that parking is the least of its problems :mad:

Well said Angelfire9.

I too have a child at this school, parking is a nightmare but do you honestly think we, the so called irresponsible parents are happy with the current parking arrangements at the school?

I am sure this school is one of many in this country with no such parking arrangements for the parents.

In actual fact the busy times at the school are 8.45am-9.10am, 1.30pm-1.50pm and 2.30pm-2.50pm, so I am sure many of the residents are understanding to the needs of the parents during those times.

Kiwipower have you children who attend a school?

I would suggest if it worries you, you should do as MrsdD007 suggests. That may help sort it out for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

babygirlz wrote: »
    Well said Angelfire9.

I too have a child at this school, parking is a nightmare but do you honestly think we, the so called irresponsible parents are happy with the current parking arrangements at the school?

I am sure this school is one of many in this country with no such parking arrangements for the parents.

In actual fact the busy times at the school are 8.45am-9.10am, 1.30pm-1.50pm and 2.30pm-2.50pm, so I am sure many of the residents are understanding to the needs of the parents during those times.

Kiwipower have you children who attend a school?

I would suggest if it worries you, you should do as MrsdD007 suggests. That may help sort it out for all of us.

A I said before, no I am not from County Claire, but I have been working on New Road a lot over the last year. Having to both walk or drive passed the school during busy bell times.

I have been:
    1. nearly run over myself trying to walk around cars blocking the footpaths.
    2. nearly knocked off a push bike by someone opening their car door while parked on the footpath, forcing me out across the centre line of the road into the path of another vehicle pulling out onto the road from the opposite footpath where they had also been illegally parked, on the footpath, contra-flow on the right hand side of the road.
    3. nearly hit a child with my car that came out from between to four wheel drives parked on the footpath making it impossible to see the said child.
    I have previously, worked in many A&E departments where children hit by vehicles have been brought in severly injured. I still also have vivid memory from age 5 of a classmate being hit by a car and being thrown in the air following the impact.

As I have no physical connection with the school or town, (I have been working on a tempory contract commuting in from another part of the country.) I was hoping that one of the carring parents of the school that are on Boards, may look at the suggestion I have put forward, and follow it up with the school management etc to see if it could provide greater safety for children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

kiwipower wrote: »
    A I said before, no I am not from County Claire, but I have been working on New Road a lot over the last year. Having to both walk or drive passed the school during busy bell times.

I have been:
    1. nearly run over myself trying to walk around cars blocking the footpaths.
    2. nearly knocked off a push bike by someone opening their car door while parked on the footpath, forcing me out across the centre line of the road into the path of another vehicle pulling out onto the road from the opposite footpath where they had also been illegally parked, on the footpath, contra-flow on the right hand side of the road.
    3. nearly hit a child with my car that came out from between to four wheel drives parked on the footpath making it impossible to see the said child.
    I have previously, worked in many A&E departments where children hit by vehicles have been brought in severly injured. I still also have vivid memory from age 5 of a classmate being hit by a car and being thrown in the air following the impact.

As I have no physical connection with the school or town, (I have been working on a tempory contract commuting in from another part of the country.) I was hoping that one of the carring parents of the school that are on Boards, may look at the suggestion I have put forward, and follow it up with the school management etc to see if it could provide greater safety for children.

Kiwipower, I think this is a cop out on your part, you have spent time and energy posting your concerns here when I believe you should have first addressed your concerns with the school.

You are someone who is using the road on a daily basis and you are being affected by the school traffic situation so that gives you as much right to raise it with the school as anyone else. In fact, I think a school board may even take more notice of someone like you, you would perhaps be seen as being more objective than a parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Fair point MrsD007,
    I will take it on board.

• Advertisement
Advertisement