Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip to Mullingar - advice

Options
  • 21-11-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello

I am trying to organise a group night out for next April/May 2012 in and around Mullingar. The number of people attending will be between 15 and 25. Can you please help me with the following questions?

a) What restaurants can you please recommend in Mullingar?
    b) What activities are there to do by day/night in and around Mullingar?
    c) What are the best pubs in Mullingar?
    d) What are the best clubs in Mullingar?
    e) Any other suggestions?
    In about around Castletown Geoghegan where are the best places to eat and drink?
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

wandiwar wrote: »
    Hello

I am trying to organise a group night out for next April/May 2012 in and around Mullingar. The number of people attending will be between 15 and 25. Can you please help me with the following questions?

a) What restaurants can you please recommend in Mullingar?
    b) What activities are there to do by day/night in and around Mullingar?
    c) What are the best pubs in Mullingar?
    d) What are the best clubs in Mullingar?
    e) Any other suggestions?
    In about around Castletown Geoghegan where are the best places to eat and drink?
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

This may of no help at all but just wanted to say that castletown geoghegan isnt that far from athlone if you wanted to go there instead:
    1) Restaurants: The Olive Grove/Top Deck/Saagar/Kin Thao/Left Bank/Thyme
    2) Pubs: gerties/seans/snug/richard graces/suede/prince
    3) clubs: Karma
    4) Things to do: boat trip/pitch putt/cocktail making in the Prince/fishing/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 murbar1360

a) Restaurants in Mullingar - Oscars, Greville Arms Restaurant, Annebrook House Hotel, Chinese - Amber Court

b) Activities - day - Lakeland Shooting Centre, Rock n Bowl Bowling Alley (I know that Lakesland and Rock n Bowl do packages for groups - shoot in the morning and bowl in the afternoon). Mullingar Arts Centre - not sure what they have on in April/May but they have had comedians like Neil Delamere and Des Bishop play there recently and Keith Barry has been there a few times.

c) Best Pubs - John Dalys and Danny Byrnes. They always have live music on at weekends.

d) Best clubs - couldn't tell you which is the best club as I don't go out very often but the Lane Club would be one of my favourites. The other clubs in town are the Final Fence and Mojos. The Greville has music also but I don't know if they still do discos after the music.

Couldn't tell you about Castletown-Geo.

PS the restaurants, pubs and clubs are all in the centre of town. Where are you planning on staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

I agree.........Athlone would be a much better choice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭anticonno16

martin1 wrote: »
    I agree.........Athlone would be a much better choice :D

In fairness, Kinnegad is a better choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

nope, Mullingar is a grand spot

for food:
    La Guitarra
    Lingi's Pizza Restaurant
    Steakhouse
    Pasta Bella
    Annebrook hotel
    Lotus Garden
    Danny Byrnes
    avoid Oscars. I just don't see the attraction

cinema
    arts centre - plays, musicals

pubs
    John dalys
    danny byrnes
    crssbar
    yukon
    canton caseys

clubs
    final fence
    mojos
    bed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

re: previous post.

Pasta Bella alright italian a small restaurant.
    Danny Byrnes (lovely pub grub cavery, extensive menu when thats closed hand cut chips)
    Oscars (its expensive but a lot of people love the food nice atmosphere)

cinema (a bit far out of the town but 7 seater taxis are easy enough to get)
    arts centre (might be something travelling but they have an awful reputation)
    N
    bowling alley 15-20 min walk from town
    lakes
    paint balling

pubs
    John dalys
    danny byrnes
    crssbar
    yukon
    canton caseys

BED
    avoid mojos if youre looking for night clubs, the old stand, druids
    pubs really depends on the age group/tastes/what kind of night youre looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 wandiwar

cheers for the responses will look it those suggestions. Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

I have nothing but great things to say about Mullingar Greyhound Stadium for a night out. It's good fun and nice craic:) Also they do finger food if you request it and have other packages.

The Olive Grove restaurant is something I hear very good things about however I've never had the pleasure of going there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I have nothing but great things to say about Mullingar Greyhound Stadium for a night out. It's good fun and nice craic:) Also they do finger food if you request it and have other packages.

The Olive Grove restaurant is something I hear very good things about however I've never had the pleasure of going there.

apologies.
    how could i forget the Dogs?
    good fun, not too expensive and close to the town centre

I still don't get oscars. the food is ok. the restaurant is cramped. the service isn't great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭anticonno16

nice_guy80 wrote: »

apologies.

I still don't get oscars. the food is ok. the restaurant is cramped. the service isn't great.

They race Labradors, not greyhounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭coillcam

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    apologies.

I'm with you here on Oscars. Its acceptable at best imo. Menu is overpriced good quality pub food and it never changes. The owner is renowned for standing over and "encouraging" customers to hurry up if they are under pressure from taking on too many bookings. I have seen this first hand. However I will say the service from the waiting staff was pleasant and efficient any time I visited.

La Guitarra is where its at. Their T-Bone is massive and the dogs bolox imo. If you go there around lunch time they have a special menu with 3 courses for €10.00. An absolute steal.

Advertisement