Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Restaurant?

Options
  • 21-11-2011 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking for a good restaurant to go to Saturday night, somewhere between Dun Laoghaire and town for a friends forty something birthday.

I would usually go to Hartleys but we fancy a change and maybe a journey further afield.

Is there anywhere as good or better than Hartleys in Blackrock, Ballsbridge or Stephens green area where we can have a good meal, get drunk and have a generally boisterous time?

I fancy Marco Pierre White's place in Dawson street, anyone been?

Ballsbridge is an area I've never eaten in, but it looks pretty cool, any suggestions around there maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

A bit Vague Fred but there's a new restaurant open beside the Wishing Well Pub in Newtown Park, afraid thats all I know but if you are pasing you could stop and have a look at menu.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Slightly off the beaten track but The Box Tree in Stepaside has won a good few awards to inclue a recent Michelin recommendation. Step Inn pub across the road has good tribute bands every Saturday and a decent, mature crowd so perfect for the session afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Alexis in Dun Laoghaire is substantially better than Hartley's IMO. While it chooses to have a smaller menu, this will likely better suit a larger group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Marcusm wrote: »
    Alexis in Dun Laoghaire is substantially better than Hartley's IMO. While it chooses to have a smaller menu, this will likely better suit a larger group.

Is that opposite the pet shop?

I've heard good things but never met anyone that's been there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I fancy Marco Pierre White's place in Dawson street, anyone been?

I have been and would not recommend it. Over priced novelty food imho.

It sounds like you want to go somwhere more high end which pretty much rules out much of the DL restaurants. If you decide on a slightly less stratospheric price range then 'The Gourmet food parlour' do live music of a weekend evening, not too boisterous but could be good. I have been there a few times but not to the live music nights, passed by once or twice when music on though and seemed good. Nice interesting menu, not very cheap but not rip-off and not too pretentious.

http://gourmetfoodparlour.com

* you'd need to check the menu for the music evenings - after checking just now it could just be tapas and not a full menu

• Advertisement

The thing I have found with south Dublin is that you can pay stratospheric prices for mediocre food in a pretentious hell hole, or spend a fair bit on very good food in somewhere not so glamorous. I am after the latter.

Interesting what you say about the steak house. I hate novelty food, which is why steak appealed to me because I thought it would be pretty safe. Oh well.

The Box Tree sounds good, but a bit out of the way, we may be heading out boogieing afterwards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Is that opposite the pet shop?

I've heard good things but never met anyone that's been there.

I've eaten there 6-8 times mostly with an uncle who lives in Glenageary but also with other friends. I'm not sure how much you want to spend, whether your focus is on quantity or quality/variety. Alexis does a set 3 course menu for €26 which is stupendous value for the setting and quality of the food. There's also a broader more expensive menu but I would be sceptical of any restaurant who offered a broad menu to a large group ( 8+) as it's virtually impossible to maintain the quality.

The set dinner menu is equivalent to an early bird but available all night. There is no skimping on quality - it sounds like I'm doing a sales job but completely unconnected. My only criticism (and usually I an get into trouble arguing over restaurant quality) is one of the waiters is a bit annoying.

If you don't go for your birthday, go some other time. If you want to test run it, go for a cheap lunch but dinner quality is higher.

It's generally busy and buzzy and recently had a revamp which bizarrely reduced the number of table. The Irish Times did a review which I remember to be glowing.

I live in London and eat out a lot while here and travelling. I'm in Ireland every 6 weeks and go to Alexis every second trip or so.

The thing I have found with south Dublin is that you can pay stratospheric prices for mediocre food in a pretentious hell hole, or spend a fair bit on very good food in somewhere not so glamorous. I am after the latter.

Interesting what you say about the steak house. I hate novelty food, which is why steak appealed to me because I thought it would be pretty safe. Oh well.

I suppose your mileage can vary, & that could have been down to my choice on the night. I ordered steak with blackcurrant sauce & whatever else came with it. It was not a generous portion, & the meat was only so-so, overall the meal had a gimmicky/novelty factor to it imo. Everything else about the restaurant was ok, reasonable service & ambience (if a little dark & noisy) and a well natured crowd etc. Judging by the price however and what I ordered meant I would probably not be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I know it's the wrong side of DL but a couple of mates have been in the Dispensary in Dalkey - Tapas are always good for big groups - they really liked it.

I know it's the wrong side of DL but a couple of mates have been in the Dispensary in Dalkey - Tapas are always good for big groups - they really liked it.

The dispensary is very good (very good wine list, for the money), but we all eat in Dalkey fairly regularly, so we fancied somewhere different.

• Advertisement

I would be a +1 for Alexis. Gorgeous restaurant.

In town, my favourite is Saba. I also love Fire on Dawson st but haven't been in over a year.

Trocadero is absolutely fabulous. As is Alfies, both on South William St.

Others that I haven't eaten in, but that my sister adores, are Hugos and Il Segreto on Merrion Row and Venu on South Annes St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Chapter 1 on Mountjoy Square (northside admitedly but not much further than Stephens Green) is Michelin starred and has excellent food. On a Saturday night it's probably a bit expensive though, 4 courses are €60 or so I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Morlar wrote: »
    I have been and would not recommend it. Over priced novelty food imho.

Novelty food?

I went there and had a bloody lovely steak. Not sure what novelty there is in a fillet steak but it was very nice. Everyone at the party also had great food.

I am really confused with the term 'novelty'.

It is over-priced though but then so are most places in Dublin.

For something a bit different, Keshk Cafe, around the corner from the Leeson Lounge does lovely north African food. It has lovely food at a decently price and is BYO with no corkage which has a habit of making the dinner a lot cheaper.

Another place which has been recommended to me but I haven't gone is Bella Cuba in Ballsbridge, beside the RDS. Bang on the way to town.

reprazant wrote: »
    Novelty food?

I went there and had a bloody lovely steak. Not sure what novelty there is in a fillet steak but it was very nice. Everyone at the party also had great food.

I am really confused with the term 'novelty'.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75586474&postcount=9

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Odessa for the older hipster - plus you've got decent pubs/clubs nearby. Mate was in there at the weekend said it was great - been a while since I've been there but going next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Morlar wrote: »

I saw that but I have no idea when you went as there is no sauce like that.

All the steaks come with classic steak sauces.

Its about as un-novelty as they come, very traditional I would say.

Only my opinion obviously.

reprazant wrote: »
    ...... very traditional I would say.

Only my opinion obviously.

Well, opinions differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Diep Le Shaker off Baggott St is one of my favourite restaurants in Dublin. It can be a little busy at weekends so a booking may be required but the atmosphere is always wonderful and the food is great, as are the cocktails! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Where did you end up Fred ??

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Where did you end up Fred ??

We booked Marco's, just to see what it was like, but my wife wasn't well so we had to cry off in the end.

We did pop out early evening to Weafer and Cooper and I was overwhelmingly indifferent to the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Slightly off the beaten track but The Box Tree in Stepaside has won a good few awards to inclue a recent Michelin recommendation. Step Inn pub across the road has good tribute bands every Saturday and a decent, mature crowd so perfect for the session afterwards.
    Plus 1 on The Box Tree :)

Advertisement