Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a room to rent, what do I need to know.

Options
  • 21-11-2011 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Not if this is in the right area.

I've just about to buy a 2 bedroom house and am thinking about renting the second room to someone. Where can I find out about rights for landlords and tenants?
    How easy is to get a tenant out if I simply don't like them, I plan on living in the house too. I suppose a month by month rent agreement?

Is there any sort of standard questionnaire that I could get someone to fill out before renting to them?
    I realise I should be finding out about people before letting them move in but sometimes things can go wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

There's a lot that can be said in reply to your request - it could fill a book.

However, check out the "Rent a room scheme"

As a resident landlord you do not have a tenant - you have a lodger or licensee; they have a license from you to live in your house/flat. They have very few rights and can be asked to leave whenever you want - usually seven days notice is the minimum but can be less in serious situations (threatening behaviour etc.)

It is usually best to draw up a set of "house rules" so that both you and the lodger knows what is permitted or not. (e.g. smoking, cleaning responsibilities, guest visits, noise from radio/music players/ TVs etc)

Again, it is best to have a written license agreement between you and the lodger.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭98-00

Thanks

Advertisement