Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone notice their broadband going slower than usual lately?

• 21-11-2011 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭

I'm in Caherdavin and my broadband seems to be very slow at present.
    Pages are slow to load, though I ran a speed-test http://www.broadbandireland.ie/speed-test.php
    and download speed shows 2496 Kbps and upload speed is 190 Kbps.

I'm on UTV Clicksilver 3Mbs.

Anyone else having issues?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'm with Eircom................................................................................................................................................ When I get speed.. I'll let you know if its slower!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Got rid of Eircom, then got rid of Perlico, now am with UPC - should have got them in the first place. They have their own lines and are not eircom reliant. Good service!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

It's a pity UPC isn't available in County Limerick...

I'm with Eircom (3mb) & it's very inconsistent especially in the evening time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm with Vodafone via the Eircom network and like others have found it terrible for the last 5 or 6 weeks, cut off's & tiny speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

We're with Onwave, through the NBS/Three set up, on satellite. Don't even consider going there - whatever you're complaining about now is better, believe me. Only for the truly desperate!

Once you're over your ridiculous 11mb 'allowance' the whole thing turns to snails on Mogadon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Working away with 50mb UPC in Castletroy anyway, give UTV a ring tomorrow if there is no improvement id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

also in Caherdavin and have eircom ngb 8mb which always slows down big time in the evenings,this is supposed to be uncongested,every sunday for the past few weeks i keep getting dsl problems also even though i have tested all my connections which are fine,,sick of eircom and looking for a better service,need something for my kids who play xbox live and my connection keeps lagging in the evenings,,so much for next generation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

daveob007 wrote: »
    also in Caherdavin and have eircom ngb 8mb which always slows down big time in the evenings,this is supposed to be uncongested,every sunday for the past few weeks i keep getting dsl problems also even though i have tested all my connections which are fine,,sick of eircom and looking for a better service,need something for my kids who play xbox live and my connection keeps lagging in the evenings,,so much for next generation...
    Believing Eircom's Next Generation Broadband (NGB) marketing is your first mistake, most useless telecoms company in the industry, has done a great job keeping Ireland's telecoms infrastruciture behind the times ever since it was privatised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Big improvement today!!!

It's Tue. evening and my internet is really good just now. Faster than it's been in months! Has anyone else noticed a similar improvement this evening?

Hope it remains this good.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

1607189688.png

That's UPC @ Ballycummin this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Cant speak about UTV broadband but am regularly getting calls from customers who are having problems with their broadband with Vodafone, it seems to be a very unreliable service in my opinion but there are regular software updates for their routers which you can get here and which I have done for a few people and this seems to have helped.

http://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/2111-huawei-hg556a-software-update/

You havent stated if you are connected to your router on wireless or via a network cable, if you are on Wireless then I would suggest changing the channel it is broadcasting on as I have seen a few on channel 1 and this has been poor service...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

I'm with BBnet out by NCW, service has been as normal. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fergalmj

I am currently subscribing to 8MB NGB with UTV and at times I get the desired 7.9 - 8.1. More often than not I am recording speeds of 0.5MB...........
    My levels of frustration are at an all time high........

I rang them and they blamed the eircom line and they (UTV) told me that they would register a service call to eircom on my behalf. I believe they did as I had speeds of 7.9 - 8.1 for about a week after.

Since 29th December 2011 I am now again at speeds of 0.5MB max. Not ringing again. My credit cards validity runs out today and they are/were paid automatically through it. They have been requesting the new card details but due to the slow online speeds it is taking me a little longer to process their request ;)

Funny thing is before I switched from UTV Clicksilver 3MB to UTV NGB 8MB I never had a problem.

Is the NGB framework not living up to its promises?????

Anyone else here experiencing the same frustrating problems???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

daveob007 wrote: »

You see, you fell for the marketing bollocks.
    Uncongested in networking terms means exactly fcuk all.
    They might as well say "it's free of rats on tuesdays", it's a pure marketing term and in an IT context means absolutely nothing whatsoever.
    You should ask them if it uncontested, that means you are the sole user of that line.
    They're simply promising that their broadband is not very busy, really, it's actually quite good, you'll be amazed, but we're not telling you how many people are on your line, how far to the exchange and the real-life actual speed you'll be getting.
    You bought a cat in a bag, there could be a million assholes on that line, bringing your speed down to a crawl and Eircon has defined it vaguely enough that they don't owe you sh*t if you complain.
    Try Magnet. Decent provider and no bullsh*t, you can actually get uncapped service, i.e. you can download 40 gig of data a day if you want (or more) and they won't care.
    Eircon is run by drunk farmers!
    And UPC means "Utter Pile of Crap"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You see, you fell for the marketing bollocks.
    Uncongested in networking terms means exactly fcuk all.
    They might as well say "it's free of rats on tuesdays", it's a pure marketing term and in an IT context means absolutely nothing whatsoever.
    You should ask them if it uncontested, that means you are the sole user of that line.
    They're simply promising that their broadband is not very busy, really, it's actually quite good, you'll be amazed, but we're not telling you how many people are on your line, how far to the exchange and the real-life actual speed you'll be getting.
    You bought a cat in a bag, there could be a million assholes on that line, bringing your speed down to a crawl and Eircon has defined it vaguely enough that they don't owe you sh*t if you complain.
    Try Magnet. Decent provider and no bullsh*t, you can actually get uncapped service, i.e. you can download 40 gig of data a day if you want (or more) and they won't care.
    Eircon is run by drunk farmers!

I'm with magnet and get constant dropped connections, the speed isnt all that good either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

krudler wrote: »
    I'm with magnet and get constant dropped connections, the speed isnt all that good either

So they're all rubbish then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I`m with 3 mobile on the north-side of the city and its brilliant, except for two days before Christmas, and yesterday and today.
    I`m putting that down to millions of E-cards and Christmas wishes flying through the air.
    No problems at all other than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

So they're all rubbish then...

UPC is fantastic,never any issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

UPC is fantastic,never any issues

I'll second that. I've had UPC broadband for years. I'm currently on 30mb connection with them and its consistently fantastic. Hate their TV but love their broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I'm with Vodafone via the Eircom network and like others have found it terrible for the last 5 or 6 weeks, cut off's & tiny speeds.

Same - more so on the unreliability side...Really frustrating considering I like browsing the net, online gaming and YouTube! :( Here's hoping it gets sorted very soon!

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I beg to differ faster than 96% of IE:

1681977698.png

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheEntertainer

Im with Eircom and when it rains or gets windy it goes pure ****e and slow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Another Eircom customer and its like the old dial up at the moment (I've broadband and am on the Northside of the city).

When I had problems a few weeks ago, they told me that they needed to slow my delivery speed to improve my service. Its bordering on the ridiculous today. :mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement