Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hobby Model Shop in Dublin

Options
  • 21-11-2011 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I am going to visit Dublin for a few days business trip, and I would lilke to have a chance to see some good hobby shop there. I am interested in plastic models (cars, figures, armo).

Can you please kindly navigate me - what are the good hobby shop/s that I can visit in Dublin. Preferebly, not far away from my Hotel, where I am going to stay in. The adress of the hotel is: Cardiff Lane, Sir John Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin 2.

I would apreciate if you can supply me with the name and/or adress of the shops!

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Anatoliy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Hi,

Let me put it this way, I have been flying model airplanes for two years now and I buy all my planes, parts and rc equipment online from overseas. Why, because the model shops in Ireland are very rare and poorly stocked.

The only two that I know of in Dublin City are Capel Model shop on Capel Street and Mark's Models just off Burgh Quay on Hawkins Street. Marks stock mainly plastic airplane kits, and model railway parts and the staff are friendly. They are just a 5 minute walk up teh river from your hotel in the direction of the City Centre. Capel model shop has poor stock and I've found the owner unhelpful in the past.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://www.marksmodels.com/

14 Hawkins St.
    Dublin 2.

Would probably be your best bet. Just don't expect anything spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 seto

Hi,

Let me put it this way, I have been flying model airplanes for two years now and I buy all my planes, parts and rc equipment online from overseas. Why, because the model shops in Ireland are very rare and poorly stocked.

The only two that I know of in Dublin City are Capel Model shop on Capel Street and Mark's Models just off Burgh Quay on Hawkins Street. Marks stock mainly plastic airplane kits, and model railway parts and the staff are friendly. They are just a 5 minute walk up teh river from your hotel in the direction of the City Centre. Capel model shop has poor stock and I've found the owner unhelpful in the past.

Thank you very much for your reply, Dave!

Actually, I am ordering hobby euqipment and models online too (who doesn't?) : ))

But I think it's interesting to see real shops - cause you can touch and feel the models, make impulsive purchasing, buy some small tools and equipment and finally you don't have to pay over for shipping costs.

I am from Riga, Latvia - and we have same problems here. Only 2 shops, both are quite small with poor range of models and supply products.

When I will be in Dublin, I will defentaly visit Mark's Models on Hawkins Street. Thank you for that!

p.s. is there anything else in Dublin that should/must be seen/visited, considered that there are rainy Novemebr outside? :-] What's are the city's main spots?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    http://www.marksmodels.com/

14 Hawkins St.
    Dublin 2.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

there is a place in capel street as well. no great, but better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Tabnabs wrote: »

or cheap. It's not a bad shop to look around but the massive premium over online shops makes it painful to buy anything there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

seto wrote: »
    Thank you very much for your reply, Dave!

Actually, I am ordering hobby euqipment and models online too (who doesn't?) : ))

But I think it's interesting to see real shops - cause you can touch and feel the models, make impulsive purchasing, buy some small tools and equipment and finally you don't have to pay over for shipping costs.

I am from Riga, Latvia - and we have same problems here. Only 2 shops, both are quite small with poor range of models and supply products.

When I will be in Dublin, I will defentaly visit Mark's Models on Hawkins Street. Thank you for that!

p.s. is there anything else in Dublin that should/must be seen/visited, considered that there are rainy Novemebr outside? :-] What's are the city's main spots?

If you really wanted to have a look round good, well stocked model shops, then you should have gone to England. There are numerous model shops there that stock all ranges of models kits from cars, boats, planes, trains to radio controlled planes, cars etc. Leeds Model Shop is brilliant and the Sussex Model shop is well worth a look. Ireland is a very poor place to support a modelling hobby:(.

The weather here is actually quite good at the moment as its been unseasonably warm and dry. For places to visit, there are lots of Museums that are free to visit. The Phoenix Park is the largest enclosed park in Europe and is just two kilometres from the city centre. Trinity College in the city centre is worth a look and has the 1,200 year old Book of Kells. The DART (Dublin train system) is a cheap and easy way to see the coast along Dublin Bay and its worthwhile visiting Howth village to see the harbour and then to get a bus (or walk) up to the summit of Howth peninsula to see magnificent views of Dublin City and the bay. Malahide village (also on the DART line) has a lovely castle and park and the village itself has loads of restaurants and a nice marina. The main shopping areas in Dublin are around Grafton Street and Henry Street. Stay away from the Temple Bar area as its a tourist trap and prices are high and food quality is average at best.

Have a nice trip.

If you really wanted to have a look round good, well stocked model shops, then you should have gone to England. There are numerous model shops there that stock all ranges of models kits from cars, boats, planes, trains to radio controlled planes, cars etc. Leeds Model Shop is brilliant and the Sussex Model shop is well worth a look. Ireland is a very poor place to support a modelling hobby:(.

The weather here is actually quite good at the moment as its been unseasonably warm and dry. For places to visit, there are lots of Museums that are free to visit. The Phoenix Park is the largest enclosed park in Europe and is just two kilometres from the city centre. Trinity College in the city centre is worth a look and has the 1,200 year old Book of Kells. The DART (Dublin train system) is a cheap and easy way to see the coast along Dublin Bay and its worthwhile visiting Howth village to see the harbour and then to get a bus (or walk) up to the summit of Howth peninsula to see magnificent views of Dublin City and the bay. Malahide village (also on the DART line) has a lovely castle and park and the village itself has loads of restaurants and a nice marina. The main shopping areas in Dublin are around Grafton Street and Henry Street. Stay away from the Temple Bar area as its a tourist trap and prices are high and food quality is average at best.

Have a nice trip.

Thank you very much, Dave! If you ever will be in Riga, drop me PM and I will navigate you over the city as well!

Advertisement