Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lump in the throat time .. DADS CAR

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Are you f*cking kidding me, lump in the throat time? It's a damn car.

Summary: A man tells a long and boring story and reminisces about a car. Finds the car and it's his dads car. Dad cries about car.

It's Oprah-ised tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

chin_grin wrote: »

Summary: A man tells a long and boring story and reminisces about a car. Finds the car and it's his dads car. Dad cries about car.

It's Oprah-ised tripe.

Even though I completely agree, I admit that I felt myself almost welling up there at the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Lump hammer in the throat time, more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Some people will get it some wont..

I think its great... Spent 5 years looking for it..

Some people will get it some wont..

I think its great... Spent 5 years looking for it..

:confused:

What's there to "get". It's not some symbolism of the eternal struggle of man vs machine or some neat metaphor of life. It's a man who gives some personal story about his dads car. Finds the car. And they rejoice like they've just found the cure for AIDS. It's one of those stupid tug-at-the-heart-strings stories that American TV is famous for. Does nothing for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

It's Oprah-ised tripe.

if you knew what to expect from the title then WHY THE FCUK DID YOU BOTHER TO WATCH IT ???

take your troll ****e somewhere else..

barone wrote: »
    if you knew what to expect from the title then WHY THE FCUK DID YOU BOTHER TO WATCH IT ???

Because this forum is called Cool Vids & Pics & Links. I did it because I was curious as I thought it'd actually be funny. But it wasn't.

So, just because I didn't like the vid you're accusing me of "trolling"? Well played sir, well played. Easy on the caps lock too pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

In fairness, there is no need to get defensive.
    You posted something you wanted to share.
    Some will enjoy it, others won't.

128625338683948774.jpg

It was pretty good. Cool vid. The forum isn't called Funny Vids & Pics & Links.

exactly, most of the vids in the forum arent even funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I thought it was pretty lame, I care little about my own car, so couldn't force myself to feel sentimental for another I've never seen thousands of miles away.

I thought it was pretty lame, I care little about my own car, so couldn't force myself to feel sentimental for another I've never seen thousands of miles away.

it has nothing to do with you feeling something for the car, its dad's car :confused:

its about sacrifice,and two sons returning a prized former possesion to their dad,who gave it up so the sons life could be better.

it may be american but if it were about a loved massey ferguson in cavan would it be less lame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

it has nothing to do with you feeling something for the car, its dad's car :confused:

its about sacrifice,and two sons returning a prized former possesion to their dad,who gave it up so the sons life could be better.

it may be american but if it were about a loved massey ferguson in cavan would it be less lame?

Haha! Nah, it just feels too "fake", it feels like the makers have made a video whose goal is to make you cry, rather than tell a good story that as a result of the sacrafice or attachment we feel to the characters, will tug at our heartstrings. It just didn't do anything for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

cool video, funny how some people can love things that other people just dont get

Now if the car was animated by Dreamworks. Tears man, f*ckin' tears.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I liked it, would love to find my dads old CL500 some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I have never bought a new car, I'm only 23, recently bought the first car of my own off my Dad which meant I had to put in the car I learned to drive in - a shítty gold Mazda 323, for scrappage as part of the deal. Thing is though I absolutely loved that car and was sad to see it go.

If somehow somebody produced that car for me in 10/20 years time I'd completely crack up.

To some people it's more than just a car - it's the journeys you had in that car, the people who sat in it with you, the music you listened to in it....it's memories and nostalgia, alot of people won't get that and that's fine but don't belittle somebody connecting with a story by writing it off as a piece of tin/metal - it's alot more than that to some, including myself

PaulieC wrote: »
    To some people it's more than just a car - it's the journeys you had in that car, the people who sat in it with you, the music you listened to in it....it's memories and nostalgia, alot of people won't get that and that's fine but don't belittle somebody connecting with a story by writing it off as a piece of tin/metal - it's alot more than that to some, including myself

Granted we root objects to memory, but this is the basis of hoarding. You still "own" the memories of doing x thing with y while you were z. It's just emotional attachment to inanimate objects that get on my wick!

Again, if it was a talking car and it had to be scrapped as it got so mangled trying to save your life. Floods. Pass the kleenex. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Granted we root objects to memory, but this is the basis of hoarding. You still "own" the memories of doing x thing with y while you were z. It's just emotional attachment to inanimate objects that get on my wick!

Again, if it was a talking car and it had to be scrapped as it got so mangled trying to save your life. Floods. Pass the kleenex. :pac:
    Fair enough - but it's not like you go through your memories on a daily basis - you say hoard I say you store away.

To see the object in which you had so many memories, is the trigger for those memories to come flooding back and it leads to becoming emotional.

I'd say something if you got emotional after seeing a picture - it's one picture, one memory. A car contains hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

How bizarre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I thought it was great.

But if you have to have it explained, you'll never truly understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

the history of it, that alone makes it sentimental...

good find op.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

OK, on the one side, it's a schmaltsy ad, but if your parents were into their cars, and loved a particular car during your childhood, and if YOU love cars, then this ad resonates.

I get the sentiment, and always make a b-line for the Citroen CX's in classic car shows for this reason.

It is over the top though, especially when seen through utilitarian European eyes. Not one image or note, or word in that ad is accidential. Very expensive ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Probably totally fake as well.

They had the dad's shirt mic'd up and everything. Did they tell him it was a documentary about safety in playgrounds?

Nice idea for a story, but the execution has a pretty thick layer of schmaltzy glaze over it in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Cianos wrote: »
    Probably totally fake as well.

They had the dad's shirt mic'd up and everything. Did they tell him it was a documentary about safety in playgrounds?

Nice idea for a story, but the execution has a pretty thick layer of schmaltzy glaze over it in fairness.

It's a TV ad that's running in american at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What the f^uck is this piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

What the f^uck is this piss?

It's a badly formed, and grammatically incorrect jumble of words.

However, the link at the start of this thread is fairly self-evident, and the comments after it show more or less what others think of it.

Some people, as you can no doubt see, are just a little slow, and need to appear "cool" when it comes to sentimentality.

Good video, but probably the wrong audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Naykid

Meh, would have been cooler if it was an Autobot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

• Advertisement
Advertisement