Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harrasment at work

Options
  • 21-11-2011 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    Posting this for my Girlfriend who in tears every day now.

She works part time as a cleaner for the past 3 months she really needs this job for the hours etc.
    Shortly after she started there were comments made behind her back which in turn ended up to her face, to the point where she had a headache and asked could she run to the pharmacy the responce was "to get the moring after pill" there was lots more she wont let me see her diary cause she knows Id go mental.
    Then things started taking a turn for the worse, theres being soaked with a hose with "wet t shirt contest" being shouted out etc tea towels being snapped at her bum and now today.
    Theres a handicapped person there say his name is J
    A text was sent to her from another persons phone with quite a rude sexual innuendo on it.

Problem here is its the Boss whos doing a lot of it and the staff are following suit.
    There is no Hr Dept. to go to all the girls there get treated like sh!t bu My Gf seems to get it the worst. this is all in front of customers too which makes it even more demeaning.

Ive told her were going to a soliciter but because shes there only a few months what are her realistic options. Its starting to cause us stress now because shes so down all the time. I was so mad today I wanted to pay this guy a visit and show him how it feels like to be humiliated in front of people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Hi Guys

She works part time as a cleaner for the past 3 months she really needs this job for the hours etc.
    Shortly after she started there were comments made behind her back which in turn ended up to her face, to the point where she had a headache and asked could she run to the pharmacy the responce was "to get the moring after pill" there was lots more she wont let me see her diary cause she knows Id go mental.
    Then things started taking a turn for the worse, theres being soaked with a hose with "wet t shirt contest" being shouted out etc tea towels being snapped at her bum and now today.
    A text was sent to her from another persons phone with quite a rude sexual innuendo on it.

Problem here is its the Boss whos doing a lot of it and the staff are following suit.
    There is no Hr Dept. to go to all the girls there get treated like sh!t bu My Gf seems to get it the worst. this is all in front of customers too which makes it even more demeaning.

Ive told her were going to a soliciter but because shes there only a few months what are her realistic options. Its starting to cause us stress now because shes so down all the time. I was so mad today I wanted to pay this guy a visit and show him how it feels like to be humiliated in front of people.

This is a disgrace and I'm sorry to hear about it, She has been correct to document every piece of harrassment and her next step should be to go to a solicitor as you said. Best of luck to you both and nail that company and the boss

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks we just dont really know what to expect.
    Shes only there 3 months and shes barely keeping it together just till xmas is all we can think about. does anyone know the process for all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

From the information provided this behaviour sounds like sexual harassment. She should make a complaint in writing to her manager, if she does not receive any satisfaction, get in touch with the Equality Authority who will provide her with details of how to take a case to the equality tribunal, there is no length of service requirement for complaints to the equality tribunal.

If you want more information or want to provide more facts privately, pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hi Guys

Jesus christ this forum never fails to amaze me with the mental anguish people have to put up with and also the total lack of respect people have for fellow employee's.

I really do hope she takes a case and inflicts as much pain on this company as possible and more so that she finds a job and gets the respect and satisfaction and most people enjoy

Advertisement