Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No satellite dishes allowed in Arran Quay complex, Smithfield

• 21-11-2011 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

People living in The Arran Quay complex in Smithfield, Dublin 7 are forced by the management company to use cable tv provider like UPC as the management company says that tenants are not allowed to install a satellite dish anywhere in the complex, not in the balcony either on the roof.

45266090.jpg

My question is why we are not allowed to have our dishes on the roof whilst Sky have erected them in may 2011 (2 small Triax dishes ) ?

39611808.jpg

The block manager from KPM - Keenan Property Managment - said that the EU law does not over ride the Managment Company law and bye-laws !!! Mr. Daved Linehan also stated that there is chance at all to get a permission for a satellite dish as it against the house rules, even if somebody would like to pay for such permission, there is no such possibility.

81138945.jpg

And finally why the managment company has give a permission for installing a satellite dishes to the such a giant company as SKY whilst people living in their apartments, paying monthly at least 700 euro for the rent by years , are patronizing?
    So how come SKY did get a chance to get the managment company`s permission? How come SKY`s dishes DO NOT breach the house rules?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

You can't let every resident put a dish on the roof as it would be a logistical nightmare. Keenans would have been instructed by the management company to let Sky put communal dishes on the roof to service the residents.

As for putting a dish on the wall or balcony, very few owners would want this as it'd make the block look like a 3rd world slum.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Kreator1984

All right , that`s fine, Sky is perfect for Irish people and others english native speakers but what about other residents - there is loads of Polish people living up there ( who do not know english ) and they are simply not able to watch SKY because they wouldnt understand even a word, u know what I mean?

I have proposed the intallation of communal dish for Polish people - NOT ALLOWED ! There is so many estates in Dublin with the dishes on the roof and they dont look like in 3rd world, believe me because they are simply not being seen from the street.

They simply force people to do what they want - what else they will start to forcing us to in the nearest future???:cool:

Maybe by watching Sky, they'll be able to learn English.

Also what about Estonians, or Peruvians, or Canadians? Would you propose to put a dish on the roof for every different nationality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Oddjob wrote: »

Also what about Estonians, or Peruvians, or Canadians? Would you propose to put a dish on the roof for every different nationality?

Canadians reallly shouldnt have too much trouble understanding our tv.....

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Canadians reallly shouldnt have too much trouble understanding our tv.....

Except those living in french speaking parts :D

• Advertisement

Not for every but for those who are in majority.

Everyone is saying now about equality, democracy, that people are free and it is not complete truth - because we are still being keep under surveillance - by all the more wealthy, more wise and more mighty. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I 100% support the fact that you cant have satellite dishes in my apartment complex. It would make the place look awful with a dish outside half the apartments. And if the management company agree to a dish on the roof, or some kind of antennae for some company, fair play to them - it means more money in the sinking fund for when the place needs a refurb.

Not for every but for those who are in majority.

That's what they have done, they put in a Sky dish to cater for the majority of the residents.

12947552771559580241pic.jpg

What about that ?

• Advertisement

It looks like some back street in Naples. Very few apartment blocks will let you put a dish up on the outside as the owners wouldn't want it.

It looks like some back street in Naples. Very few apartment blocks will let you put a dish up on the outside as the owners wouldn't want it.

I remember the time about 10 years ago, in Poland, all the buildings looked like this one in Naples or wherever it is, I think that the more dishes were up the better decoration the building had. Or nobody did take care of it :confused:

The Old Distillery, Beresford Street, Dublin 7

przechwytywanieyq.jpg

If I owned an apartment in the Old Distillery, I'd let my tenants keep circus animals on the balcony if it meant I could rent it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Yet another reason why buying an apartment isnt a good idea.
    A guy i work with had a mini dish on his balcony that wasnt really visible unless you knew it was there..the
    management company hired a cherry picker and snipped all the dishes they could find off.

They werent however so keen on paying somebody to look after the underground carpark from which vehcles were being stolen nightly and often in the daytime too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Degsy wrote: »
    Yet another reason why buying an apartment isnt a good idea.
    A guy i work with had a mini dish on his balcony that wasnt really visible unless you knew it was there..the
    management company hired a cherry picker and snipped all the dishes they could find off.

They werent however so keen on paying somebody to look after the underground carpark from which vehcles were being stolen nightly and often in the daytime too.

Was his minidish fixed to the building? If not, it will be a matter of criminal damage and/or theft. It is possible to have a sat installation which is on a stand not dissimilar to a parasol stand and which is held down with a paving slab. Generally fixed dishes are subject to planning except for local authority housing. Something which is furniture is not.

As regards "house rules", that will be a case by case test. However, if like washing lines, non fixed satellite dishes are banned, they would still need to be moved without damage and delivered to the owner not kept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,004 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The Old Distillery, Beresford Street, Dublin 7

I lived in the Old Distillery many years ago and dishes weren't allowed then but some folk, such as in that image ignored the rules and put them up anyway. I'd imagine it's still policy there that they aren't allowed.

OP, some apartment complexes allow dishes to be put up by individuals but perhaps the vast majority of complexes don't. It's a pain in the ass when you want one and can't have it but that I'm afraid is one of the drawbacks of apartment living.

You have to understand that there are pros and cons to apartment living. In your situation you aren't allowed have a dish. As much as a pain in the ass as that is, those are the rules. If you really want a dish then you'll need to look at moving to an apartment complex that allows them or to look at renting a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I live in an apartment building and we had a similar issue. You had to go with smart telecom. I assume the developer gets a nice few quid, in a big block with say 100 apartments, that's 100 guarenteed customers for that provider.

But we got on to the management company and demanded sky! Eventually got the communal dish on the roof and sky bombarded us with letters telling us our life is now better because sky is now available.
    I then looked at the price of sky packages and after all the hassle, there's not a chance id pay it, so staying with smart!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I live in an apartment building and we had a similar issue. You had to go with smart telecom. I assume the developer gets a nice few quid, in a big block with say 100 apartments, that's 100 guarenteed customers for that provider.
    !

I understand that Crosbie's Yard and adjoining developments got lumbered with a crowd called SkyConway..no doubt a friend of a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I understand that Crosbie's Yard and adjoining developments got lumbered with a crowd called SkyConway..no doubt a friend of a friend.

It would be a pain if you got a crowd of cowboys all right. Smart have a bad name, but I find them excellent. Fast internet, great interface with the TV, they came out and replaced a faulty digital tv box for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Sky Conway are an indie installer based in Tyrone who have signed up many Liam Carroll developments. I use them in the Gasworks and while there's a monthly fee for access to the dish (which also gives a 12 channel service for non sat users), I haven't found them bad. Pretty good at resolving misalignment issues after high wind etc. They can provide broadband too so maybe they are modelling themselves on Smart without the telephone. They also sort out non Astra channels which is what the OP wants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

I would be pretty sure that there is a clause in your lease prohibiting owners from erecting satellite dishes. Often there is also a specific clause in the original planning permission forbidding satellite dishes too in the interests of visual amenity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

As for putting a dish on the wall or balcony, very few owners would want this as it'd make the block look like a 3rd world slum.

Last time I was in the third world I couldn't get over how many of the shanty huts had satellite recievers on them alright :confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The block manager from KPM - Keenan Property Managment - said that the EU law does not over ride the Managment Company law and bye-laws !!!

People who don't have a clue of the law often say silly things, but what EU law exactly are you talking about?

And finally why the managment company has give a permission for installing a satellite dishes to the such a giant company as SKY whilst people living in their apartments, paying monthly at least 700 euro for the rent by years , are patronizing?
    So how come SKY did get a chance to get the managment company`s permission? How come SKY`s dishes DO NOT breach the house rules?

Maybe because Sky offered them money, or offered to bring them to court? :)

I have proposed the intallation of communal dish for Polish people - NOT ALLOWED !

Seems like a sensible idea.

If it means a lot to you, you could try to get all the owners living in the building and all the tenants to contact their landlords about it. At the end of the day the owners of the apartments own and control the management company (even if many people don't bother getting directly involved with the management company).

Try to find out about the building's management company (as opposed to Keenan Property Management who are their agent). Find out about details such as who chairing it.

The first step may even be to get owners and landlords who supports your idea to all contact Keenan about it.

monument wrote: »
    People who don't have a clue of the law often say silly things, but what EU law exactly are you talking about?

http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/europe_television_laws_satellite_tv_costa_blanca_spain.php

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2004_2009/documents/cm/601/601591/601591en.pdf

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/01/913&format=HTML&aged=0&lg=cs&guiLanguage=en

http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/index_en.htm

Maybe because Sky offered them money, or offered to bring them to court? :)

Because they are rich.

Seems like a sensible idea.

If it means a lot to you, you could try to get all the owners living in the building and all the tenants to contact their landlords about it. At the end of the day the owners of the apartments own and control the management company (even if many people don't bother getting directly involved with the management company).

Try to find out about the building's management company (as opposed to Keenan Property Management who are their agent). Find out about details such as who chairing it.

The first step may even be to get owners and landlords who supports your idea to all contact Keenan about it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Thanks for the links.

Have you formalised your plan for a communal dish and put the the details of the proposal in writing to the management company?

Advertisement