Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fear of actions.

• 21-11-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Ok here is a little background on this post and I will try explain the title.

Was leaving the tax office today off O'Connell Street. Outside there was in plain sight a drug deal going down which was witnessed by a ban garda on her own.

She approached the dealer who was by the looks of it, high on his own supply. He became hostile and despite the Ban Garda having her baton out, he attempted to hit her. In my view and If I was the garda I would have hit him with the baton. He was hostile and aggresive towards the Ban garda, he was also a good foot taller than her. The Ban Garda was hesitant in using her baton but she has every justifiable reason to do so. Should she have hit him? He ran away and whether he was caught or not I dont know.

Did she not hit him for fear of the consequences of doing so? (sued for misuse etc.)

What should she do? Or should have done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

ps3man wrote: »
    O

Call the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Oh great a literal garda bashing thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

junkie bashing thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

We haven't had Ban Gardai for about 10 years OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

Smack the sh1te outta him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Should have asked him "Do you like bread cos imma gonna give you this knuckle sandwich" then Boom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Ok here is a little background on this post and I will try explain the title.

Was leaving the tax office today off O'Connell Street. Outside there was in plain sight a drug deal going down which was witnessed by a ban garda on her own.

She approached the dealer who was by the looks of it, high on his own supply. He became hostile and despite the Ban Garda having her baton out, he attempted to hit her. In my view and If I was the garda I would have hit him with the baton. He was hostile and aggresive towards the Ban garda, he was also a good foot taller than her. The Ban Garda was hesitant in using her baton but she has every justifiable reason to do so. Should she have hit him? He ran away and whether he was caught or not I dont know.

Did she not hit him for fear of the consequences of doing so? (sued for misuse etc.)

plenty of cctv in the area, he would have been seen on camera, Ban Garda is no longer used.
    If he hit her would you have done anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Sounds like she was on her own, against a much bigger lad, who was off his tits. Pretty reasonable of her not to want to take a hiding over a small drug deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You could have came to the garda's assistance OP. Gardai can't use their batons unless there is, or they believe there to be, a serious threat to their safety or the safety of others AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

'Fight, flight or freeze'

Sounds like the banner frozen, or thought for a second - 'wait, I'm not going to jail for no dirty pox of a junkie'.

She probably know's his face, in which case I hope he gets his come 'uppence from her work mates some dark evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

This isn't the same thing.
    But I used to volunteer with the ISPCC.
    We'd go around the streets of Dublin and engage with minors, some of whom would be with parents or other adults.
    We always had to go in pairs, and if there was any threat to our own safety, we had to leave immediately.

I'm just thinking, maybe there is a similar protocol with guards?
    Maybe if she were to have hit him, he could have gone ape sh1t and attacked her, or called over some of his mates or something? And maybe they aren't supposed to antagonise, only defend, especially when alone?

This is all just me guessing though.
    I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

There were taxi drivers from the rank there assisting. I could have tried to help but there was no difference I could have made. Other gardai were on the scene chasing him seconds later.. My question is whether she should have hit him, he attempted to hit her and threatened her safety. Fully justifiable

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Sounds like she was on her own, against a much bigger lad, who was off his tits. Pretty reasonable of her not to want to take a hiding over a small drug deal.

They were hand to hand, she tried not to use her baton. In terms of self defence the baton was the most reasonable thing to use given the circunstances. She just totally hesistated to use it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Would I be right in saying she should have attempted to arrest and should he resist then use force?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

They were hand to hand, she tried not to use her baton. In terms of self defence the baton was the most reasonable thing to use given the circunstances. She just totally hesistated to use it..

In that case I go with Makikomi, she thought about the consequnces or froze for a second.

IMO she would have been well within her rights to club him like a Canadian would a baby seal, but then I'm not the Garda Ombudsman!

There were taxi drivers from the rank there assisting. I could have tried to help but there was no difference I could have made. Other gardai were on the scene chasing him seconds later.. My question is whether she should have hit him, he attempted to hit her and threatened her safety. Fully justifiable

She choose not to use the baton, considering she had assistance seconds later she did the right thing.
    There was no need to hit him. your story is not really making sense.

I don't think the banner froze, more likely she knew him, knew he was harmless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Honestly, give her a break,She was on her own and probably just didnt was to have a few bruises for coppers on the Saturday.

Also you never know what Junkies have so it's probably best not to engage on her own, cant see much wrong really -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If she saw the deal then surely she could have cuffed him and radioed in for a unit to pick him up? If he resisted then it would be baton time. (Don't know the law here, but surely that must be allowed?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Hey at least she engaged him, I've seen many gardaí turn their backs, very literally, on people engaging in illegal activity in the city centre.

Cian A wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying she should have attempted to arrest and should he resist then use force?

That was what she tried to do, in doing so he became aggresive and violent towards her..

I have seen this fella and others mug people including myself in and around the talbot street area on a few occasions in the past couple of years. They are the scum of the earth and dont give a breeze what they do. If the gardai have batons to defend themselfs with then they should use them (not lighlty obviously)

A broken arm from one of these would make him think twice about thinking he is above the law.. I sound awfully aggressive but I have been mugged and threatened by these scumbags, they have the cheek to think they can do what they like, steal what they like and assault who they want and tbh a taste of their own medicine works a lot better than a night in pearse street.

Rant over

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    She choose not to use the baton, considering she had assistance seconds later she did the right thing.
    There was no need to hit him. your story is not really making sense.

I don't think the banner froze, more likely she knew him, knew he was harmless.

he tried to hit her though? And backup might be too late if he pulls something out of his pocket.. stabvest or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

At least it's a not another "omg the gaarda bate the ****e out of some poor man today" thread.
    Continue

m2c, she'll see him again. Junkies can't stay away.
    Maybe next time there'll be 2 garda, hilarity will ensue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He was clearly an undercover operative and the tiff was enacted for your beneift to compenstate her blowing his cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

This is a knock on consequence of the ridiculous sentences given to the Gardai a few weeks back. Hardly unexpected.

he tried to hit her though? And backup might be too late if he pulls something out of his pocket.. stabvest or not

It's still no reason to hit him, you wanted her to hit him then the thread would be different.
    Gardai put up with this ****e every day, if they were to hit everyone the ombudsman would be real busy.

MagicSean wrote: »
    This is a knock on consequence of the ridiculous sentences given to the Gardai a few weeks back. Hardly unexpected.

Completely different situation. They were guilty of assault as was seen on cctv.

Completely different situation. They were guilty of assault as was seen on cctv.

CCTV can't prove assault, it can only show the physical act. It's a matter of one word against another when it comes to the rest of the proof.

It's still no reason to hit him, you wanted her to hit him then the thread would be different.
    Gardai put up with this ****e every day, if they were to hit everyone the ombudsman would be real busy.

If physical assault doesn't constitiute a genuine reason for the garda to react with force.. what does?

Your right though I did want her to hit him. From what I saw it would have been the right thing to do.

CCTV can't prove assault, it can only show the physical act. It's a matter of one word against another when it comes to the rest of the proof.

They were found guilty, it was captured on cctv, was it not?
    If physical assault doesn't constitiute a genuine reason for the garda to react with force.. what does?

Your right though I did want her to hit him. From what I saw it would have been the right thing to do.

What would she have gained by hitting him? there was no need.

• Advertisement

What would she have gained by hitting him? there was no need.

He may not have been able to make a runner? Would think twice about thinking he was above the law? The Ban Garda just trying to defend herself is the one that comes to mind for me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

She approached the dealer who was by the looks of it, high on his own supply. He became hostile and despite the Ban Garda having her baton out, he attempted to hit her. In my view and If I was the garda I would have hit him with the baton. He was hostile and aggresive towards the Ban garda, he was also a good foot taller than her. He ran away and whether he was caught or not I dont know.

The Ban Garda was hesitant in using her baton but she has every justifiable reason to do so.

As the you have said in your original post (bold) she used her common sense in the situation, she was on her own, she waited until she had help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

this thread is starting to sound like "a scumbag mugged me once, I saw him today getting into trouble with the cops.........I so wanted the garda to hit him to make me feel better :mad:"

Saila wrote: »
    this thread is starting to sound like "a scumbag mugged me once, I saw him today getting into trouble with the cops.........I so wanted the garda to hit him to make me feel better :mad:"

There is an element of that alright.. But Is fear or reppercussions hampering the Gardas effort to police the streets?

Yeah but I don't think your understanding what I'm saying. The same cctv could have been used to prove them innocent if their version of what was said was believed. Proof of the physical act is rarely the issue in a trial for assault.

Yeah but I don't think your understanding what I'm saying. The same cctv could have been used to prove them innocent if their version of what was said was believed. Proof of the physical act is rarely the issue in a trial for assault.

I know what you'r saying, without the proof they probably would have been believed and got off.

• Advertisement

I know what you'r saying, without the proof they probably would have been believed and got off.

Obviously you don't know what I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

jester77 wrote: »
    If she saw the deal then surely she could have cuffed him and radioed in for a unit to pick him up? If he resisted then it would be baton time. (Don't know the law here, but surely that must be allowed?)
    STOP!
    Baton time, do dodo do, da do do do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Her feeble attempts are a mere wasted drop in the heroin ocean that are damned city is drowing in.

so much drugs in this country you could shake a baton factory at them.

Advertisement