Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great news for the west...

Options
  • 21-11-2011 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Great news for the west... Will help a lot of businesses who bring their clients and customers to the west.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/new-ryanair-routes-link-knock-to-milan-frankfurt-paris-and-barcelona-2940774.html
    New Ryanair routes link Knock to Milan, Frankfurt, Paris and Barcelona
    BUDGET airline Ryanair is to launch four new European routes from Knock airport.
    Passengers will now be able to connect directly from Ireland West airport to Milan, Frankfurt, Paris and Barcelona.
    From next March more than 20 flights a week will operate to the new destinations and it means that Ryanair will fly to 14 destinations in Europe and the UK from Knock.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Knock to Barca. That is sweet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Wasn't there always a Barcelona flight (Reus) though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭soterpisc

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    Wasn't there always a Barcelona flight (Reus) though?

There was!!! I was looking at flights from knock to Reus for months. cost was about 900 euros for the week I wanted. I went to Dublin paid 400 euros less ... Hilarious the return flight from Reus to Dubin there was also the line for Reus to know. Knock is fine but it needs to be competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Congrats to Knock on getting these extra flights - more traffic for the West

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

knock is only getting these flights as the landing fees are low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

irishgeo wrote: »

And?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Rather pay the €10 at Knock then waste more going to dublin or shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Rather pay the €10 at Knock then waste more going to dublin or shannon

I'd rather just pay the tenner than do both myself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

irishgeo wrote: »

Yes, if that's what it takes. Ireland West Airport makes absolutely nothing out of Ryanair, but the West stands to hopefully gain lots, hopefully floods of incoming tourists.

Imagine the sad place the West of Ireland would be with out this airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yes, if that's what it takes. Ireland West Airport makes absolutely nothing out of Ryanair, but the West stands to hopefully gain lots, hopefully floods of incoming tourists.

Imagine the sad place the West of Ireland would be with out this airport

Its fantastic news... Knock Airport is 30-40 mins from Ballina or Castlebar.

Car park infront of the airport. 10 mins of security at most. Its great to see Mayo (of all places) connected to Barcelona/Paris/Frankfurt/London/Canaries.

Of all the taxes I pay. the 10 euro departure fee is no problem.. No stress airport. No Shuttle buses to long term carparks. No 30 min security Queue. No 2 km walk to departure lounge. Lot to be said for knock...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

While the you may think the landing fees are cheap which they are, knock are just charging direct, skip the airliners and charge us a tenner.

There is no delvop at the moment and if there was its well paid for. Except for the mini digger going around outside blocking up any potential parking spots.

For a car park on a mountain, Parking charges are a disgrace . .
    You dont need to charge that amount so why do it.

Parking or the 10. . One has got to go.
    4 people to manchester for 1 night we left knock 58 euro. . . 40 plus parking 18. . .

Park in red in dublin for 50euro for 2 full weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Don't forget you need to add in your petrol to and from Dublin and if it's an early morning flight over night accommodation.

Give me Knock any day. I am still lamenting the fact they didn't give us a Malaga flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

While the you may think the landing fees are cheap which they are, knock are just charging direct, skip the airliners and charge us a tenner.

There is no delvop at the moment and if there was its well paid for. Except for the mini digger going around outside blocking up any potential parking spots.

4 people to manchester for 1 night we left knock 58 euro. . . 40 plus parking 18. . .

6/7 hour return journey from dublin airport, full tank of petrol, stop for food/rest on way up/down, your being charged fee's from dublin airport though its included in the flight ticket.
    Forgot to include the two tolls, both up and down.

mayo.mick wrote: »

6/7 hour return journey from dublin airport, full tank of petrol, stop for food/rest on way up/down, your being charged fee's from dublin airport though its included in the flight ticket.
    Forgot to include the two tolls, both up and down.

Why do people keep doing this? Your missing the point. . . Course id rather use knock. But. . . Whats with city aiport charges. . .

2 and a half hr drive to dublin, i would never stop. .

Keep in mind also a lot more cheaper flighs from dublin, and will stay cheaper for longer.

Anyway i hate comparing in this way.
    Regional airport city prices.

Ps. Get a diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Why do people keep doing this? Your missing the point. . . Course id rather use knock. But. . . Whats with city aiport charges. . .

2 and a half hr drive to dublin, i would never stop. .

Keep in mind also a lot more cheaper flighs from dublin, and will stay cheaper for longer.

Anyway i hate comparing in this way.
    Regional airport city prices.

Ps. Get a diesel

With the price of petrol and diesel we'll have to go back to the ass & cart:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

The best thing about Knock is you can sit at the bar pint in hand and watch the 3 gates. No bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yes there is, they're extending the apron next .

Possibly new direct flights to the USA next year with another carrier.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

"Don't need to charge"?

The airport is a business. It has expenses. It needs income. If it doesn't earn that income on parking fees, it will have to make it up somewhere else.

Agree, need to make income. But rip off charges. . . Its easy know why they do it, people like yourself dont mind along with the two people that thanked you. . .

Lol . . Am i reading that correctly,. . . Thanked for defending high parking chgs. .

Ill say no more. . .we have no hope.

Agree, need to make income. But rip off charges. . . Its easy know why they do it, people like yourself dont mind along with the two people that thanked you. . .

Lol . . Am i reading that correctly,. . . Thanked for defending high parking chgs. .

Instead of empty ranting, why don't you explain exactly where you think the airport should raise revenue in order to lower parking charges?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ok, so give us an airport that does't charge for parking, Shannon is on the edge of the sea, so why should it charge for parking?

Your argument is baseless, tell us what airport you use and where you don't get charged for parking.

People, calm,. . . Please read. . . I said
    charges a disgrace
    no need to charge that amt. . . .

Did you actually think i wanted free parking? Lol. . . . 18 for two days, would be nice to have it 5, max 10.

Do ye all work in the airport or something?

Im fighting a loosing battle here. . .

Good to know you will pay without any trouble,

If i was ceo and read this thread id rise charges.

Did you actually think i wanted free parking? Lol. . . . 18 for two days, would be nice to have it 5, max 10.
    Great, so you'd cut a significant portion of the airport's revenue stream from car parking. Now all you have to do is explain how the airport can make that revenue up again - in other words, where do you want them to raise prices when they lower the car park charges?

It's a simple question.
    Do ye all work in the airport or something?
    No; we just have a grasp of business realities.

Business realities

Your talking as if what comes in must go out. . .
    Sher. . . Do you actually think if it costs x amt then you chg x

Hold on a sec. . .
    have you done your figures, ok good,

tell me gross income for year to date, .

Dont forget also
    Food
    bar
    Retail
    car hire subs

Making a mint. . . .

If you dont think so. . Well theres the diff of opinion . . . .

Enjoyed the debate Though.

There was no debate. There was you whining about the cost of parking, and then repeatedly refusing to state where you think they should make up the lost revenue if they cut the car parking charges. Which makes it just another uninformed rant, I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Business realities

Your talking as if what comes in must go out. . .
    Sher. . . Do you actually think if it costs x amt then you chg x

Hold on a sec. . .
    have you done your figures, ok good,

tell me gross income for year to date, .

Dont forget also
    Food
    bar
    Retail
    car hire subs

Making a mint. . . .

If you dont think so. . Well theres the diff of opinion . . . .

Its not a debate, a debate is 2 sided affair where questions are asked and answered.
    I already asked you where you fly from and what you pay or would it be a case that you don't but are just on here having a moan?

Yes we all work at Knock Airport.
    Do you actually think if it costs x amt then you chg x
    So you are saying that if it costs 10 euro then you charge less than 10 euro? As OB your business sense is, well, lacking.

Not to worry, continue your rant, we are just trying to educate you here.

The best thing about Knock is you can sit at the bar pint in hand and watch the 3 gates. No bother.

It sure is buddy. . . .and you can watch to join the last of the que without rushing your drink. . .

I usually wait till all is on before me. Less time sitting on tarmac

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

The parking charges at Knock are extortionist. The airport is handy for people from the West of Ireland but they are being charged for this convenience. Prices at Dublin Airport are cheaper because there is competition from nearby hotels who are offering parking and shuttle bus service to the airport. There is no competitioin of this kind in Knock so they can effectively charge what they like and get away with it. Add that to the development charge and the cost of flying out of Knock keeps mounting.

Knock Airport should look at what has happened in Shannon and take plenty of heed. Ryanair had two million passengers passing through the airport five years ago, now there are 250,000 and it is reminsicent of a ghost town. They should not try and screw the passengers because things are good at the moment.

dec25532 wrote: »
    The parking charges at Knock are extortionist. The airport is handy for people from the West of Ireland but they are being charged for this convenience.
    Great, maybe you can supply the missing answer: if the airport reduces parking charges, where should they increase charges to compensate?
    Prices at Dublin Airport are cheaper because there is competition from nearby hotels who are offering parking and shuttle bus service to the airport. There is no competitioin of this kind in Knock so they can effectively charge what they like and get away with it.
    Cool, you've identified a second business opportunity: as well as a restaurant in Westport (how's that going for you?) you can operate a competing car park for the airport, complete with shuttle bus, and clean up.
    Knock Airport should look at what has happened in Shannon and take plenty of heed. Ryanair had two million passengers passing through the airport five years ago, now there are 250,000 and it is reminsicent of a ghost town.
    It seems to me that Knock has learned that lesson extremely well, and this announcement makes that plain.

• Advertisement

dec25532 wrote: »
    The parking charges at Knock are extortionist. The airport is handy for people from the West of Ireland but they are being charged for this convenience. Prices at Dublin Airport are cheaper because there is competition from nearby hotels who are offering parking and shuttle bus service to the airport. There is no competitioin of this kind in Knock so they can effectively charge what they like and get away with it. Add that to the development charge and the cost of flying out of Knock keeps mounting.

Knock Airport should look at what has happened in Shannon and take plenty of heed. Ryanair had two million passengers passing through the airport five years ago, now there are 250,000 and it is reminsicent of a ghost town. They should not try and screw the passengers because things are good at the moment.

Ah Declan, now your the same man who moans about the prices in Westport but yet returns :D

Knock is 9 euro per day.
    Shannon airport is 9.50.
    Quickpark in Dublin is 7 euro per day,
    Bewleys you have to stay in the place to get the parking.
    Dublin airport charges 20 euro per day.
    Long term is 7.50 per day.

So how 1.5/2 euro is extortionate is laughable. A pint in Dublin is about 1 euro more than down here, does that stop you from going to Dublin?

Some people spend their lives looking for a moan, would you 2 lads like nominations for 2011 :p

Advertisement