Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great news for the west...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

I think the car-park charges were to be changed as part of the landslide area re-design which would have added more space and better layout linking the new terminal. It was well advanced back in 2008 but the planning objection from FOTIE delayed that 2 years, and though eventually approved they probably don't have the funding now.

Plans included a new entrance road and drop-off at the departures terminal, bus stands, new car hire compound linked by walkway from arrivals and a separate long-term parking area with covered walkways to departures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I wonder if I might be allowed to join the "debate". ;)

I first came to the West of Ireland a couple of years ago - looking for a property to buy. I flew in to Knock and hired a car.

When I flew back out, with plans to return for further research, I and a lot of my fellow passengers were bemused by the 'development tax'. It seemed to most of us that it was a rip off, forcing people to pay without question as the penalty for not paying was being prevented from boarding our flight.

When returning a few weeks later my decision to fly into Dublin was partly made due to the bad taste left by this extra tax.

I have travelled reasonably widely and can only remember a local airport in Mexico charging an additional tax on entry. Even now I am still left slightly irritated with having had to pay. I cannot think of another situation in industry where you have to pay an added charge so that the business you used could 'develop' their premises!

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

TopTec wrote: »
    When returning a few weeks later my decision to fly into Dublin was partly made due to the bad taste left by this extra tax.

Bad taste over a tenner? Jesus. You know, it would be added to the fare if it wasn't paid in the terminal and they'd be adding a tenner in and a tenner out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

How do people Knock to offer 'low charges' and still keep an airport going??? Knock has to make its money from Car Parks, Franchises, Bars etc.... running an airport is costly. Well done to Knock.....my only worry is Barcelone and Milan is going to bring f-all business into the area - these will be outbound only. Same with PAris to a degree....why do the French want to go to Mayo!!! They have their own Shrine in Lourdes!!!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Last time I flew from Galway airport, my fare included €17 in "fees", €40 in "taxes and charges" and €3 in "government tax". The €40 breaks down as €26 "airport service charge", €10 "insurance and fuel charge", and €4 "airport security charge".

And then I had to pay another tenner in the airport, same as in Knock.

Additional charges are par for the course when flying. If the tenner makes you not want to fly from Knock, fine: don't fly from Knock. But make sure you check your fee breakdown to see how much other airports are charging you through the airline.

• Advertisement

Bad taste over a tenner? Jesus. You know, it would be added to the fare if it wasn't paid in the terminal and they'd be adding a tenner in and a tenner out.

If added to the fare then I and many of the people who were with me walking the maze to the iffy looking booth would of known it was part of the fare when we booked the flight and we would of made our decision based on the fare quoted.

Ryanair would not tolerate adding this charge to the fare. There was nothing to indicate this tax either in the airport or anywhere else. Ot was done by stealth... that was the bad taste.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

If added to the fare then I and many of the people who were with me walking the maze to the iffy looking booth would of known it was part of the fare when we booked the flight and we would of made our decision based on the fare quoted.

Ryanair would not tolerate adding this charge to the fare. There was nothing to indicate this tax either in the airport or anywhere else. Ot was done by stealth... that was the bad taste.

TT

I have no problem paying the €10 when i use knock, i know when booking flights that i have to pay this charge, and i agree with you toptec, this charge should be advertised more, both on airline websites and in the airport itself (at least i have'nt seen it advertised in the airport)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I have no problem paying the €10 when i use knock, i know when booking flights that i have to pay this charge, and i agree with you toptec, this charge should be advertised more, both on airline websites and in the airport itself (at least i have'nt seen it advertised in the airport)

It's plain as day on the Airport website.
    http://www.irelandwestairport.com/airportguide/airportdevelopmentfee.aspx
    It's up to Ryanair or whoever you book with to inform you of this charge if you book on their website, they don't for obvious reasons.

Airport Development Fee is a common practice around the world, not just limited to Ireland West. Here's a few you may not know about:
    Blackpool International
    Durham Tees Valley Airport
    Norwich International
    Newquay Cornwall Airport
    Galway Airport

http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/travel-tips/uk-and-irish-airports-with-development-fees/

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It's plain as day on the Airport website.

Airport Development Fee is a common practice around the world, not just limited to Ireland West. Here's a few you may not know about:
    Blackpool International
    Durham Tees Valley Airport
    Norwich International
    Newquay Cornwall Airport
    Galway Airport

/

I, probably like I guess most others, don't check my destination airports website as a matter of course. You are right that Ryanair should make it plain but...... it is Ryanair after all.

I have used none of the airports you list but have used, Exeter, Bristol, Southampton, Gatwick, Luton, Stanstead, Manchester, Glasgow and Bournemouth.... none of which make a charge. :p

I also note that the reports says that Ryanair have left airports due to this additional tax....... I would be interested in a before and after comparison with how much was raised pre and post Ryanair service.

Anyway - the point I am making is that it is not necessarily a wise charge to make, especially when not obvious, as the results can mean dissatisfied customers and airlines,

TT

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Anyway - the point I am making is that it is not necessarily a wise charge to make, especially when not obvious, as the results can mean dissatisfied customers and airlines
    Given the thread topic, I don't think Ryanair are too upset with Knock airport just at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

I have used none of the airports you list but have used, Exeter, Bristol, Southampton, Gatwick, Luton, Stanstead, Manchester, Glasgow and Bournemouth.... none of which make a charge.

Most of those airports you list are on a different scale, carrying between 5-20 million passengers annually with services from premium airlines and hub links serving business community as well as leisure markets. Most of them are part of BAA or other large airline groups which can cross subsadise their operation with profits from larger airports and operations as necessary. Even the two smallest were carrying over 1m in recent years and have large local populations with far higher densities than the West of Ireland, and more business traffic off which they can demand higher fees at peak times.

Beyond the major runway and terminal infrastructure, airports have to provide a basic level of equipment and services to meet IAA, airline and passenger demands. Fire, ATC, Security, Weather, Handling, ILS, Communications, IT, Energy, Fuel Farm, Marketing and Management all require associated infrastructure, equipment and staffing not to mention overheads like regulation fees, energy costs, local charges, tax, legal, liability insurance to name but a few....

Whether carrying 100,000 or 1 million+ these services have to be paid for, and below a certain threshold it's very difficult for a regional airport to cover those running costs from airline fees alone. Even more so for airports in areas where there isn't huge demand for premium business services and regional/low-cost airlines are the only operators interested demanding subsidy to access their aircraft and routes.

The Irish Government have brought large-scale operational subsidies to an end which has seen the closure of two regional airports to commercial operations this year. Local authorities aren't rushing to provide funding either leaving survival solely up to the airport to secure through their own charges.

Knock is competing with 60 other European airports for access to Ryanair routes, airports with the backing local authorities willing to pay 10s of millions to secure visitors. Without the low fees model I doubt Ryanair would give Knock a second look.

Advertisement