Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permit or licence needed for market research?

Options
  • 21-11-2011 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,
    Hope someone here can answer this for me - I am planning to launch a new service after Christmas and would like to get some feedback from the public beforehand. So I plan to conduct my market research over the next few weeks in 3 ways:
    1) Knocking on peoples doors
    2) On the street eg. on Grafton/Henry street
    3) Outside stores in large retail parks such as Carrickmines/Blanchardstown
    My question is - do I need any type of licence/permit/permission to do this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just do it, don't think you need any licence. Do you really need to knock on peoples doors, don't bother if it's not necessary, grafton street should be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Surface1

Hey dessol,

I am just finished a 2.5 month research project so I thought I would weigh in with some recent experience.

I do not think you need any form of permit for marketing research but it is always good to get permission from any venues you intend on carrying this out in. Some places can get a little defensive when someone with a clipboard is talking to their customers.

I will say it straight out about door to door, winter evenings are dark, its usually cold and often there are children who need feeding and help with homework, the last thing people will want is a stranger knocking on their door asking for 15mins of their time.

Another thing to decide on is the structure of what you are researching. Assuming it is a questionnaire, are you sure you have designed it well? In that is everything you ask relevant and necessary to your goals. People who give you their time for this do not like it to be wasted.

Pm me if you want any more specific information and I will see what I can do to help you. On a final note, if nothing else please be familiar with the ESOMAR guidelines before you leave the house. http://www.esomar.org/publications-store/codes-guidelines.php

Best of luck with it,

S1.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dessol

Thanks for the replies guys, especially the esomar link. Yes I agree about door to door, not looking forward to that part of the research but I think it is necessary in my case. Better get the winter woolies on!

Advertisement