Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How big is the market in farmers markets?

Options
  • 21-11-2011 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

I am looking for stats on farmers & craft markets, i.e. how much money flows through farmers markets every year in Ireland, UK, Europe & US, combined and separately. I found a pdf where the USDA says its over a billion $ and growing, with over 3000 functioning registered markets as of 2002. In the past 4 years this market has grown rapidly, but I doubt any body has gone to the effort of compiling stats on it. Any advice? Should I just keep scouring google?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I know from a report in the Irish Examiner (I think) that in the English Market in Cork some of the businesses there were making 6 figure sums. I don't remember the exact figures and whether that was pure profit or turnover or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭YouBuyLocal

The very odd one maybe, and that couldn't be their revenue from The English Market alone as many of those sellers supply artisan retailers and restaurants, the English market is very "high end". Costs are also very high so in turnover it would be well into six figures anyha.

I know this is a big market and getting bigger, but it is so disparate that I doubt anybody would have the commercial impetus to compile proper data.

Advertisement