Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Post Screen or Beeps - Help!

Options
  • 21-11-2011 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭

Pc arrived today but alas things aren't going in my favour. Hooked it up to the monitor etc but i'm getting no boot screen of any variety and it's not posting (no beeps etc). The keyboard and mouse show no signs of lighting up either. Anyone have any tips on sorting this out?
    I've tried resetting the graphics card but that doesn't seem to be helping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Is the PSU in right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Appears to be in correctly, I tried an old graphics card that should be working but that didn't seem to work either. I'm in the Cork area if anyone wants to check it out. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MakeNine

Are there any LED's coming on the motherboard after you press power?

I've got six leds on which according to the manual means CPU is in 6 phase power mode. And the power and reset led are on but thats about it. This is the motherboard.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44931&agid=1601

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

You have both ATX 8 and 24 pin power plugs connected?

• Advertisement

Yep, both are connected, Hardwareversand put it together btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Yep, both are connected, Hardwareversand put it together btw.

You should check they connected it right. When i got mine they had the usb port plugged into the firewire port and it caused a lot of damage to peripherals. Are the mouse and keyboard plugged into the motherboard ports or the front ports?

Everything looks to be attached correctly. I have it plugged into the motherboard ports at the back. This is really beginning to piss me off at this stage. :( I'm guessing that the old graphics card was shot (haven't used in years). The bit of googling that i've done seems to indicate that the graphics card is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

thats a bummer...can you get a loan of a card to be sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Can you hear it POST when you remove the graphics card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MakeNine

Unfortunately the P67 won't let you use the internal graphics AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

MakeNine wrote: »
    Unfortunately the P67 won't let you use the internal graphics AFAIK

I think you're right but wouldn't it still POST without display? You'll at least hear a beep and the fans.

Just double checked on that, no beep, the fans sound lovely though. :D Anyone in the Cork area that wants to have a look at it? :)

So, It's a choice between RMA'ing the entire machine back to Hardwareversand or narrowing down the fault to a single part which is a bit of a challenge. I still have an odd feeling it might be the graphics card. Purely due to the fact to it's weight and the possibility of damage in transit.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=48659&agid=707
    But I have no working graphics card to test against it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

Make sure you don't have any extra motherboard mounts touching the board (only as many as there are holes on the board), you could be shorting the board out... happened to me once before... took the extra mount off, booted first time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

could be a short as above poster has mentioned.. only way to be sure really would be to remove the motherboard and running it bare out of the case.

could be any number of things though.. cpu might need to be reseated after transit for instance.

id try removing everything except for 1 stick of ram and the gpu first.. unplug every cable except for power from psu.. then short the power connectors on the mobo with a screwdriver (sometimes these cables can be attached the wrong way causing boot problems) .. your manual should show you the pin descriptions. basically just press a screwdriver against the two PWR + / - pins. if nothing happens, try another stick of ram.. then try it in a different slot etc. following that you could release the heatsink from the cpu, remove it, check all the pins on the processor and then put it back in again.

make sure you earth yourself first by touching something metal like your pc case before you ever put your hands inside the case (or wear an anti-static strap)

if youre still getting nothing and you cant try the graphics card out in another pc to rule that out, id RMA the whole lot.. better safe than the sorry!

Just to get back to ye on this, t'was the graphics card alright. I have an old 8800gtx for while i'm waiting on a replacement. Will send it out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Bit off topic but did the hardwarevearsand online returns thing work okay for you? I get to the label printing stage and the label never loads...

Was also going to say to make sure you actually had a pc speaker connected to the mobo for hearing the POST as I know my recent build didn't have one either with the mobo or case.. Glad to see you sorted it though.

Redisle wrote: »
    Bit off topic but did the hardwarevearsand online returns thing work okay for you? I get to the label printing stage and the label never loads...

Was also going to say to make sure you actually had a pc speaker connected to the mobo for hearing the POST as I know my recent build didn't have one either with the mobo or case.. Glad to see you sorted it though.

I'm just using the RMA form and posting it myself alongside the receipt.. http://www2.hardwareversand.de/hv/download/documents/retourenschein_en.pdf
    That's what the guy on the helpline told me to do.

Advertisement