Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone see loads of red lights travelling across Cork City sky?

Options
  • 21-11-2011 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Was cycling past the Mercy hospital and on the western sky over Victoria Cross/UCC direction saw at least 20 small red lights travelling across the sky. I lost sight of them when I was near Lancaster Quay, and didnt see them after that.

I saw at least 2 people pointing up at the sky so I know I'm not going mad!

Anyone else? Was weird to say the least..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mrets

Forgot to mention it was about 5.15 p.m and it was past dusk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

hey man, didnt see anything, had a look out around 5.45 by the bons secours and up by eagle valley just a while ago where there's a great view of the night sky, cant see jack ****.
    maybe chinese lanterns? , were they in formation of just moving seperatly?

It was like a gradual stream of small red lights being launched from the distant horizon(over by UCC) and slowly angling to around the height that aeroplanes would fly. It was strange because they were moving slowly, yet they werent going in a set direction, they veered up and down, left and right, but generally it was as if they were all following eachother..

At first I thought UFOs, then I tried to reason that it might be those lantern things people set off but the shape was wrong and the entire body of these strange lights were a vivid red.

I don't know what to make of it, especially as they disappeared fairly soon after..!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Chinese Lanterns guys. They all go the same direction because the same wind pushes them.

but why were they vivid red color so? like you know when you see a helicopter in the sky with a red flashing light. like that..

• Advertisement

ya if they were moving slowly chinese lanterns are probably the culprit, from a distance they look odd alright.
    dont get me wrong, ive seen some weird **** i couldn't explain before in the sky.

mrets wrote: »
    but why were they vivid red color so? like you know when you see a helicopter in the sky with a red flashing light. like that..

if it was flashing it might of been the wind gradually dimming the flame for a moment just like an on/off switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

What's more likely guys? 20 UFOs, or 20 Chinese Lanterns that you can pretty much buy in any petrol station now?

Owen wrote: »
    What's more likely guys? 20 UFOs, or 20 Chinese Lanterns that you can pretty much buy in any petrol station now?

well you cant exactly buy 20 ufo's in a petrol station now can you.

No they were lights of continuous red , there was no flashing whatsoever. I've never seen chinese lanterns that were red first of all, and that had a continuous,SOLID red density to them.

until someone backs me up corroborates my story, I guess I'm, "Just seeing things."
    lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cycletheroad

wasn't their a lot of chinese lanterns released in bandon few weeks ago in connection with a tragedy there?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jmc1243

they were definitely chinese lanterns, same thing happened to me a couple of months ago in limerick. UL were letting off chinese lanterns and i didn't know what they were until someone explained to me, they look very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

mrets wrote: »
    I've never seen chinese lanterns that were red first of all, and that had a continuous,SOLID red density to them.

To be honest, I've never seen a chinese lantern that wasn't red. An image search on google will show you some examples of them. They're usually a solid bright red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lindenson

No you're not mad, I saw something last Friday. It was one red glow, very bright and travelling too quickly to be a plane outside the mercy hospital and headed somewhere towards the lee fields direction....

Advertisement