Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The land down under

• 21-11-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I'm moving to Australia at the end of the year, and hoping to get a bike over there.

Just wondering if anyone's done something similar?

I'd like to have an idea of how the price of bikes, gear, maintenance etc. compares to Ireland before I go committing to it. And any general advice about biking over there'd be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Yo yo. Here in NZ a couple of months almost. I got the XJR after a week as was the plan. I had planned originally to move to Oz but decided NZ was better for me.

Whatever the bike would cost in IRL, double it!! Seriously. Double. I sold my mint 02 Busa and was only able to get a respectable '98 XJR1200 with the cash. Gear is more affordable and day to day running costs are a bit cheaper but the initial outlay is a pain in the rocks. I'm considering hitting Oz for a while on a rental on the way home next year some time.

You may struggle to find a way of registering the bike so find a settled mate to register the bike to. Get something with rego and a test on it. I can't speak authoritively about Oz too much but if you're stuck on anything, drop me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Cheers man, that's good to know.

What's the issue with registering it, is it down to not being a citizen or something? I've a few mates over there, but would putting it in someone else's name not be an issue for insurance?

I'll probably just get over there and see what I can afford after gear and stuff, bit I've a bit of money saved so hopefully I should still be able to get something decent.

Advertisement