Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction companies offering 457 sponsorship

Options
  • 21-11-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am a 27 year old civil engineer, with 4 years Main Contractor experience, hoping to emigrate to Australia in the new year.

I am looking for the names of Construction Companies who people on this forum, in a similar situation to myself, have received 457 visa sponsorship from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LeGioN of PaddY

Try a google search for main contractors australia, they all do 457's if they want ya.

McMahon const currently recruiting via jobcontax,

john holland
    thiese
    leighton contractors
    abigroup

etc

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

If you dont mind going to regional western Australia or regional Queensland you should not have too much problems.

Dont even think about Melbourne at the minute or to be honest the next couple of years. Jobs getting pretty scarce and they've no need to be recruiting from Ireland for the Victorian market at the moment.

Try Laing O'rourke, BMD, Leightons, Thiess, John Holland, Abigroup, McMahons. Loads of other places and companies there too. Get onto seek.com.au and maybe try a recruitment agent too.

You could go down the 175 skilled migrant route too. Might take up to 12 months though.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

if you are a civil engineer with 4 yrs experience then i would advise a PR175 visa for you as this will give you more freedom and allow you to move around. the 457 ties you to whatever company sponsors you, so if you dont like them or their work enviroment you have to try and get another company to take over the sponsorship or else come home. if they leave you go you have 1mth to find another company to take on the sponsorship or else come home, whatever happens this visa only lasts 4 yrs by which time you should have applied and recieved PR or else gone home.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

sorry civeng2011, i dont mean to hijack your thread but i'm wondering if anyone on here could offer any advice.

i'm going to be graduating from civil eng in 2012 and i'm wondering if anyone on here ever heard of a graduate getting offered a job in oz before going over.

i've already had my year in oz so my only option is to get sponsored. problem is i cant imagine a company taking on someone from over here. the only hope would be if a company was doing interviews in ireland. but if they're doing interviews over here they're probably looking for someone with experience and not a graduate. i do have 3 months experience from last summer.

any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

Dont even think about Melbourne at the minute or to be honest the next couple of years. Jobs getting pretty scarce and they've no need to be recruiting from Ireland for the Victorian market at the moment.

I am hearing the opposite about Melbourne, it is suppose to be booming there, my brother in-law is out there and he said there is plenty of work there, i have an uncle in the Gold coast and he said it is slowing down in Queensland, also i know a few heading out to Melbourne for work as it is suppose to be the busiest of the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

I am hearing the opposite about Melbourne, it is suppose to be booming there, my brother in-law is out there and he said there is plenty of work there, i have an uncle in the Gold coast and he said it is slowing down in Queensland, also i know a few heading out to Melbourne for work as it is suppose to be the busiest of the lot.

Trust me, I'm working in Melbourne at the moment and there is no way its booming here. My job is finishing soon and I have tried to find a new one and its prooving very difficult.

Several massive jobs finishing up soon or over the next 12 months desal, Pen link, South Morang, M80 and very few replacing them.

We've had talks from our companies divisions in Queensland and Perth and they cant get enough people in their locations. Nearly all regional and FIFO work but it is really booming. Lots of LNG, pipelines, mining infrastructure.

So if your mate is serious about heading to Melbourne tell him to do a bit of research before settling on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

^^ Heard similar from a mate who just migrated to Melbourne, he is Vic sponsored so is in a dilemma.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

sponge_bob wrote: »
    if you are a civil engineer with 4 yrs experience then i would advise a PR175 ...

I think the best route woud be a 176 state sponsored - you can get one through in a couple of months at the moment (thats if you go for WA)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

nager wrote: »
    I think the best route woud be a 176 state sponsored - you can get one through in a couple of months at the moment (thats if you go for WA)

:D
    well which ever one he goes for 175 or 176 we are aboth agreed that PR is better than a TR457:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 civeng2011

thanks guys for the help. I've contacted most of the companies mentioned over the previous number of weeks and while they were all interested they would not make any offer of an interview while I was residing outside of Australia. Leightons told me to contact them when I arrived. The plan now is to head over on a WHV in early January, find a company and job which suits, and impress them enough in the first 6 months of work to offer me sponsorship.

This approach would probably put me in a stronger bargaining position, if they like what they see and want to sponsor me after the 6 months are up, then I will be able to negotiate a better package. Thats the plan anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 dandoyler

Hi civeng2011,
    Just been reading down through this very interesting post. I am just wondering have you moved to Australia and how is it working out? I am a Construction Management graduate working in the Uk but considering my options in Australia. Leightons have asked me to contact them once in Australia. Just wondering if you have heard much about Leighton and how they are to work for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mdawg

civeng2011 wrote: »
    thanks guys for the help. I've contacted most of the companies mentioned over the previous number of weeks and while they were all interested they would not make any offer of an interview while I was residing outside of Australia. Leightons told me to contact them when I arrived. The plan now is to head over on a WHV in early January, find a company and job which suits, and impress them enough in the first 6 months of work to offer me sponsorship.

This approach would probably put me in a stronger bargaining position, if they like what they see and want to sponsor me after the 6 months are up, then I will be able to negotiate a better package. Thats the plan anyway.

Im just wondering how you got on with the job search since arriving in australia?
    i have been here for nearly 15 months and have only gotten about 3 months engineering work trying everywhere.
    just wonder if you have any pointers?

Advertisement