Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

He's right on this....."scrap the childen allowance" says O'Leary.

• 21-11-2011 7:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭

The CEO of Ryanair Michael O'Leary has said child benefit should be scrapped.

O'Leary said it was ridiculous that he received the entitlement for his four children, given his income.

Speaking today,he said the allowance should be scrapped for everyone, even those on lower incomes.

"I think you scrap it for everybody...You need to channel children's allowance (to those who need it) through income support schemes, where you're trying to channel money to those on very low incomes," he said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Stocking Drinks Whiskey

You don't know how much it costs to raise a child, do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I assume he donates his to a worthwhile charity so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

he makes a fair point tbh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Obviously he does as he has 4 of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It should be means tested, I would not say abolish it all together but it needs to be reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Childrens allowance shouldn't be scrapped it should be means tested.Some people need that extra income to pay for sky tv and booze and some need it to feed the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He thinks he's too rich to get it, so he thinks it should be scrapped for everyone?

He thinks he's too rich to get it, but he claims it anyway?

He probably thinks he's too rich to buy a cheap seat on his airline, but he's not agitating for cheap seats to go for everyone.

Rich right wingers always moan about excessive government-led regulation but he won't take a lead and eschew the allowance.

Hook was mentioning the free bus pass in the same vein, but there's nothing to stop him paying his busfare if he wants to.

Ouanquers like these always whine about the lack of leadership, but they won't lead by example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

"I think you scrap it for everybody...
    Ignorant prick.

O'Leary said it was ridiculous that he received the entitlement for his four children, given his income.
    You've said it pal.

Cutting it for those on low incomes is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Cutting it off for those of over a certain income bracket, I'd agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

It's not really a fair point, it's a typical point from someone who doesn't depend on it to make life bearable. If the government were increasing airport taxes for operators he'd be up in arms over it even though he has the option (and would use it as he has done in the past) of passing it onto the consumer which isn't an option that someone who's been stripped of their allowance has. He's being his typical ignorant self in this matter tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would like to see Mr O' Leary in charge of public sector reform

• Advertisement

phasers wrote: »
    I assume he donates his to a worthwhile charity so?

Hardly an effective solution. If all high income earners decide to donate their children's allowance to a charity working in Africa then it's not of much benefit to the Irish taxpayer. His suggestion is far more sensible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It should have a celling after which it isn't paid.
    Means tested like every other benefit/allowence.

Why do Dr. Murphy and his wife, Mrs. Murphy who is principle of the local school with their joined income of well over 200k per year need it? They don't.

Where as The Browns down the road who are scraping by each month as it is, both working fulltime and barely scraping 50k between them do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Yeah all well and good in theory.

We'll still have the usual spongers taking their handouts financed by people who actually work for a living though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

Galtee wrote: »
    It's not really a fair point, it's a typical point from someone who doesn't depend on it to make life bearable. If the government were increasing airport taxes for operators he'd be up in arms over it even though he has the option (and would use it as he has done in the past) of passing it onto the consumer which isn't an option that someone who's been stripped of their allowance has. He's being his typical ignorant self in this matter tbh.

He's identified a serious flaw in how child benefit is distributed and suggested that a fairer system should be introduced. Please identify how this is in anyway ignorant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just to point out, he did say the money should be channelled into other incom support schemes and still go to the less well off.

The man wasn't sitting there with his wads of cash saying "sure **** the poor, let them starve" he give a genuine and possibly workable answer to what an obvious flaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Every benefit should be means tested. Its a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

Abi wrote: »
    Ignorant prick.

:confused:

why dont you read next time. he wants the less well off to only recieve it. he doesnt want means testing, he wants to scrap the idea of children allowance and aid families in need through other welfare schemes that are more beneficial to both the families and the tax payer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I wish O'Leary would either run in an election or keep his mouth shut about how the country is run. People have been saying for years that the Children's Allowance should be restricted to those that need it. It's hardly a radical new idea.. just another chance for O'Leary to see his name printed all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Seaneh wrote: »
    Just to point out, he did say the money should be channelled into other incom support schemes and still go to the less well off.

The man wasn't sitting there with his wads of cash saying "sure **** the poor, let them starve" he give a genuine and possibly workable answer to what an obvious flaw.

Exactly, are people just reading the title and not the whole quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'd like to see how willing he would be to give it up if he was on a lower income himself.

By the way why is the CEO of Ryanair being interviewed about childrens allowance? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He chooses to live in the state and pays roughly 14m in tax a year

He has the right to say where he thinks his money should go

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Stocking Drinks Whiskey

Obviously he does as he has 4 of them?

I was speaking to OP.

The reality is no one is going to say no to money if they can get it.They have to means test it and stop wealthy people getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

Bluefox21 wrote: »
    He's identified a serious flaw in how child benefit is distributed and suggested that a fairer system should be introduced. Please identify how this is in anyway ignorant.

He's ignorant to the fact that people need it and hence scrapping it altogther and making people go through 6mths of paperwork to get it back isn't a viable solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

MidlandsM wrote: »
    The CEO of Ryanair Michael O'Leary has said child benefit should be scrapped.

Speaking today,he said the allowance should be scrapped for everyone, even those on lower incomes.

"I think you scrap it for everybody...You need to channel children's allowance (to those who need it) through income support schemes, where you're trying to channel money to those on very low incomes," he said.

Said on the day Ryanair announces four new routes from Knock airport.
    From next March, there will be over 20 flights a week to and from Milan, Paris, Frankfurt and Barcelona.
    They will be the first such direct flights in and out of the Western region.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1121/ryanair_knock.html

Suckered again folks.
    Too easy Michael, too easy.

I was speaking to OP.

The OP didn't express an opinion so it's hardly a relevant question to be asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

The only way you get childrens allowance is if you apply for it. Why are the rich putting their claims in if they say they don't need it?

Don't bother applying if you don't want it.

hondasam wrote: »
    they have to means test it and stop wealthy people getting it.

thats the thing though it costs time and resources and money to do this, probably as much as they end up saving too!

like the man says take it away and make it like a community welfare allowance like payment, you have to show why you need it.

geetar wrote: »
    :confused:

why dont you read next time.
    Oh I read it alright, if you don't understand my issue with it, it's not my fucking problem.
    he wants the less well off to only recieve it. he doesnt want means testing, he wants to scrap the idea of children allowance and aid families in need through other welfare schemes that are more beneficial to both the families and the tax payer.

Who the fuck is he to be shouting about this shit?

Does he think he's coming up with some new radical idea about cutting CB for the better off? *slow clap* More beneficial to families my arse. Re-naming so as to leave them even further out of pocket if you ask me.

Did he hand back all the child benefit his family didn't need? I seriously doubt it. The hypocrisy is just delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

If you can't afford to raise a child, don't have them. :confused:

Galtee wrote: »
    He's ignorant to the fact that people need it and hence scrapping it altogther and making people go through 6mths of paperwork to get it back isn't a viable solution.

Just think about this for a sec; lets say the top half of income earners stop getting children's allowance. This by definition can let the bottom half (more needy) to have their children's allowance double. Does this not sound like a fairer solution?

Alternatively, you can scrap children's allowance and use it in other ways that guarantee it fulfills its purpose (provide for the child). You can do this by providing free school books, free school uniforms, free lunches at school to lower income families etc. All of these things reduce the burden on parents who have children and ensures that the money isn't spent down the pub as it is in a lot of cases at the moment.

The OP didn't express an opinion so it's hardly a relevant question to be asking?

he did its all there in the title ;)
    OP wrote:
    He's right on this....."scrap the childen allowance" says O'Leary.

sounds like he agrees with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Oh here we go... *lights pipe*

Saila wrote: »
    thats the thing though it costs time and resources and money to do this, probably as much as they end up saving too!

like the man says take it away and make it like a community welfare allowance like payment, you have to show why you need it.

I would be in favour of anything that meant only the people who need it get it.
    I do think the payments per child are to high here, could it be a payment per family instead for eg?

They have to means test it and stop wealthy people getting it.

This, pure and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

He's just saying it to promote his ****ing airline. If people didn't act so outraged at everything he said he wouldn't say anything.

I kinda agree tbh.
    Oh here we go... *lights pipe*

Storm has a point, it's parents responsibility to look after their children.

The only way you get childrens allowance is if you apply for it. Why are the rich putting their claims in if they say they don't need it?

Don't bother applying if you don't want it.

When you register the childs birth with the state (legal requirement) the details automatically go to the Dept of Social Protection who issue the child with a PPS number and start a claim for Childrens Allowance. Parents don't apply for it, it's automatically issued.

Only went through the process 6 weeks ago when my daughter was born. And I would be in favour of means testing, for the record.

When you register the childs birth with the state (legal requirement) the details automatically go to the Dept of Social Protection who issue the child with a PPS number and start a claim for Childrens Allowance.

Only went through the process 6 weeks ago when my daughter was born.

you saying the payments come automatically ? no need to apply ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

He's just saying it to promote his ****ing airline. If people didn't act so outraged at everything he said he wouldn't say anything.
    Like O'leary needs to promote his airline :rolleyes:
    He should be running the country!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Did O'Leary return his Childrens Allowance to the state I wonder, but knowing that he charges to use the toilets on his planes I doubt it.
    Its very easy to plan a diet just after you have eaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i have a child myself (before anyone jumps in to ask do i have children!) and it was myself and my wife's choice to bring into the world, i wouldn't expect the state or anyone else to pay for me or my lifestyle choices whether that be to have one child or ten.

so the government decides to give us €140 a month for our child, but takes an extra €40 a week off us in taxes? it doesnt take a math genius to work out that i'd sooner have the government scrap this child allowance payment and then they wouldn't have to take extra off us in taxes to pay for child allowance for everyone elses kids! i was going to say "paying for others lifestyle choices that they CHOOSE not to put something on the end of it!", but it sounded too much like jeremy kyle! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

He doesn't charge- that was free marketing

you saying the payments come automatically ? no need to apply ?

A form is sent out to the mother to confirm all details are correct and to confirm method of payment. That's it done.

Did O'Leary return his Childrens Allowance to the state I wonder, but knowing that he charges to use the toilets on his planes I doubt it.
    Its very easy to plan a diet just after you have eaten.

How would you suggest someone goes about returning their Children's Allowance to the State. To whom should they address their cheque?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

Abi wrote: »
    Oh I read it alright, if you don't understand my issue with it, it's not my fucking problem.

Who the fuck is he to be shouting about this shit?

Does he think he's coming up with some new radical idea about cutting CB for the better off? *slow clap* More beneficial to families my arse. Re-naming so as to leave them even further out of pocket if you ask me.

Did he hand back all the child benefit his family didn't need? I seriously doubt it. The hypocrisy is just delicious.

In fairness to the man, he is probably the best person in the world for achieving cost effective performance. His job is to run a low cost airline which he does extremely well. I would seriously consider any suggestions he has to reform our current systems which imo are a joke.

The best argument against his suggestions (not from you admittedly) are that the government is incapable of implementing a more effective proposal. This speaks volumes.

Why should he hand back his child benefit and what difference would it make? The reality is that a sizable proportion of families who receive CB are not dependent on it and it could be put to better use. Fair play to the man for bringing the issue into the public eye.

When you register the childs birth with the state (legal requirement) the details automatically go to the Dept of Social Protection who issue the child with a PPS number and start a claim for Childrens Allowance. Parents don't apply for it, it's automatically issued.

Only went through the process 6 weeks ago when my daughter was born. And I would be in favour of means testing, for the record.

My understanding of it is that the parents must send a copy of the childs birth cert to childrens allowance before the payments start. Is this still not the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

You know how much it costs to run a mercedes? Thats why I dont have one. Some people should think like this before having kids.
    Cant afford them? dont have them. Simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Like O'leary needs to promote his airline :rolleyes:
    He should be running the country!!
    Of course he needs to promote his airline and it's new routes. Everyone knows you can fly to London for a tenner but they didn't know about the new routes from Knock, until he mentioned a touchy subject to make the headlines. Jack. Pot.

How the bloody hell do you return money to the state? Stick it in an envelope marked "Returns Section, The Government, Dublin 2" and toss it in the nearest postbox??

Also the charging for toilets was a joke survey they ran on the website which, in typical Ryanair fashion, got lots of people hysterical over something they had no intention of implementing, and the Ryanair name all over the media for a week, which was their intention

• Advertisement
Advertisement