Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

He's right on this....."scrap the childen allowance" says O'Leary.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

he's right.

I'd also scrap single mothers allowance, for any single mother not living alone

I know isn't it disgraceful. And single fathers get sod all !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

hondasam wrote: »
    Are you saying when people decide to have children the factor in what they get in Child benefit?
    If it was scrapped would people stop having children?

no - but i was answering the question that people who could not afford them should not have them

very few people in this country can " afford " children
    its not about being able to afford them, its a case of stopping a huge section of the society slipping into poverty - and poverty breeds crime and criminals

as a nation we all would be worse off if no payment was available

so in answer to you question "If it was scrapped would people stop having children" no they would not
    just they would be a lot worse off - and as i said that would be worse for US ALL

anyway how you treat your poor - young and elderly is truly a reflection on your society
    and we are doing poorly based on the rubbish being posted in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I dont think MOL realises how many seats on his planes were paid for from the Childrens Allowance!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It mainly goes on boxes of fags and bets doesn;t it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

dj jarvis wrote: »
    no - but i was answering the question that people who could not afford them should not have them

very few people in this country can " afford " children
    its not about being able to afford them, its a case of stopping a huge section of the society slipping into poverty - and poverty breeds crime and criminals

as a nation we all would be worse off if no payment was available

so in answer to you question "If it was scrapped would people stop having children" no they would not
    just they would be a lot worse off - and as i said that would be worse for US ALL

anyway how you treat your poor - young and elderly is truly a reflection on your society
    and we are doing poorly based on the rubbish being posted in this thread

Why is it rubbish, if people want children it's their choice but you cannot expect everyone else to provide for them.
    Child benefit is way to high here compared to other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

The CEO of Ryanair Michael O'Leary has said child benefit should be scrapped.

What's wrong with this man, does he not realise it's the one's claiming the dole, lone-parents and child benefit, bleeding the country dry, taking all our hard earned money, are the very ones filling his seats on his planes, sure we all know that Bob and Nancy only had those 2 extra kids to get a fortnight away every year!!!:pac:

Sky King wrote: »
    It mainly goes on boxes of fags and bets doesn;t it?

well then the dole and lone parents should also go if you use this logic, not to mention the state pension and the sick benefit,

and if this is the way we are going ill stop paying my tax becasue the government keeps wasting it on bloated pensions and bank bail outs

christ we would end up with bands of Ferrel people wandering the streets

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Why is it rubbish, if people want children it's their choice but you cannot expect everyone else to provide for them.

Do you have a link to info on other countries?

Would love to have an auld looky loo.

in answer to you first question i have gave my view twice in 2 previous post , read them again if you want a answer - tired repeating myself

as for you comparison to other country's , most EU states have a **** load of other helps for family's on top of child benefits
    we do not , its one payment and that is it
    have you ever seen state run child care in this country ?
    is it not us that have cut SNA teachers ? less social workers
    no drug places for children , no mental hospital for children ect ect

you comparison is a red herring

but cut away , kill it totally - sure what could the future harm be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Do you have a link to info on other countries?

Would love to have an auld looky loo.
    UK Rates £20.30 per week first child,£13.40 per week each child after...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Child Benefit monthly rate in 2011:

Child Benefit Monthly rate
    One child €140
    Two children €280
    Three children €447
    Four children €624
    Five children €801
    Six children €978
    Seven children €1,155
    Eight children €1,332

Plus dole, housing, medical and possible single mother.

No wonder we are at record birth rates ;)

in answer to you first question i have gave my view twice in 2 previous post , read them again if you want a answer - tired repeating myself

as for you comparison to other country's , most EU states have a **** load of other helps for family's on top of child benefits
    we do not , its one payment and that is it
    have you ever seen state run child care in this country ?
    is it not us that have cut SNA teachers ? less social workers
    no drug places for children , no mental hospital for children ect ect

you comparison is a red herring

but cut away , kill it totally - sure what could the future harm be

I have no idea what you are talking about, have you a link for most EU states who have other allowances for families?

if people are so bent on getting rid of CB then i suggest vote for a party that is going to cut these benefits - use your democratic right and power as the electorate to change the system

and see how ya get on , because unlike a lot of people on this thread the majority of the citizens would never vote for a right wing party like that

so your choice is this , if you dont like the laws of this land - leave
    or get them changed
    simple as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

He's just saying it to promote his ****ing airline. If people didn't act so outraged at everything he said he wouldn't say anything.

Sadly, O'Leary can only be silenced by the grave. And even then it's 50/50

I have no idea what you are talking about, have you a link for most EU states who have other allowances for families?

what ??? are your for real ???

have you never gone abroad - or worked abroad ?

i travel in Scandinavia a lot as well as Denmark and Germany and trust me these nations child care system is LIGHT years ahead of ours

you want links - use google

cgarrad wrote: »
    Child Benefit monthly rate in 2011:

Child Benefit Monthly rate
    One child €140
    Two children €280
    Three children €447
    Four children €624
    Five children €801
    Six children €978
    Seven children €1,155
    Eight children €1,332

Plus dole, housing, medical and possible single mother.

No wonder we are at record birth rates ;)

Will someone please link me to this single MOTHER allowance you are whinging about?

Or better still, whinge about something ONLY when you know what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

Just curious, to people who say child allowance should instead be a tax credit...

... what do you propose they should do for parents whose incomes are too low to pay any worthwhile mentioning tax on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

MidlandsM wrote: »
    The CEO of Ryanair Michael O'Leary has said child benefit should be scrapped.

O'Leary said it was ridiculous that he received the entitlement for his four children, given his income.

Speaking today,he said the allowance should be scrapped for everyone, even those on lower incomes.

"I think you scrap it for everybody...You need to channel children's allowance (to those who need it) through income support schemes, where you're trying to channel money to those on very low incomes," he said.

1.He IS saying that children allowance should be scrapped. 2.However he IS also saying that it should be given to those on low income through another system\scheme which does not also give child allowance to the rich such as himself.

Thats my take on what he said, and i dont see anything wrong it cause he's not saying don't give any form of income to support children, but is just saying do it in a different way other than child allowance which the rich also get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Just curious, to people who say child allowance should instead be a tax credit...

... what do you propose they should do for parents whose incomes are too low to pay any worthwhile mentioning tax on?

Be entitled to it through the social welfare.parent would need to claim it as a benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I know that here up north and in Britain, the child beneift (as it's called up here) is to be made means tested, though there's a major flaw in that it'll be tested against one working parent's income and not the joint income of both, which means someone who is working getting £50k with their partner staying at home won't be entitled, while if both work and the combined income is £65k, it's more than likely that they'll be eligible provided one of them doesn't earn more than £42k per year (I think that's the amount planned).

There are advantages in having child benefit/allowance as a universal benefit, in that it treats all children the same and with no means testing overheads for processing can be kept low and dealt with quickly. Introducing means testing requires more staff and/or more time to process not to mention changes in applicants circumstances and I'm sure those that make a point about waste in public services would not be thrilled with that.

If some people get the allowance for their children and feel they don't need it, the best way of dealing with it IMO is to set up a DD with a charity that helps children locally or elsewhere in Ireland e.g. SVdP to be taken out the day after the benefit is paid into the account.

I don't have children myself, but I recognise the importance of ensuring those that are children today grow up healthily and educated and whom themselves will be the ones in the future paying for the provision of public services through their taxes along with things that money itself doesn't buy like love, friendship and community spirit. I am no island, and the world doesn't just revolve around my own concerns and interests.

Will someone please link me to this single MOTHER allowance you are whinging about?

Or better still, whinge about something ONLY when you know what you're talking about.

One-Parent Family Payment Weekly rate (maximum)
    Personal rate (under 66) €188
    Child dependant €29.80

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/one_parent_family_payment.html

Is that not it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Would it be an idea to scrap it altogether and use the revenue to instead provide free school uniforms, books and a daily healthy school lunch(s) to every child/teen for the duration of their primary and secondary education?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Of course he needs to promote his airline and it's new routes. Everyone knows you can fly to London for a tenner but they didn't know about the new routes from Knock, until he mentioned a touchy subject to make the headlines. Jack. Pot.

Whatever his motivation for doing so he makes a pretty decent point that should be discussed further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Also when people call for means testing do they have any insight into how much it would actually cost to means test everyone who applies for welfare payments? We complain a lot about the bloated administrative branch of bodies like the HSE but means testing of welfare payments will only add to this and would probably be pretty costly in its own right. I'm not saying it'd be more expensive than just giving children's allowance to everyone but its a point you don'ty often see raised...

• Advertisement

cgarrad wrote: »
    One-Parent Family Payment
    Is that not it?

And is one parent only applicable to the female of the species?

As a single working mother it really gets on my tits when we all get tarred with the same brush. :)

what ??? are your for real ???

have you never gone abroad - or worked abroad ?

i travel in Scandinavia a lot as well as Denmark and Germany and trust me these nations child care system is LIGHT years ahead of ours

you want links - use google

we are on about child benefit only, what are the rates for Denmark and Germany per child?

You need to provide the links not me.

Between 1996 and 2002 the number of households containing a lone parent
    with children increased from 105,400 to 131,200, an increase of 25,800
    households (24.5%).

85% headed by females
    15% headed by males

http://www.familydiversity.ie/students/Quick%20glance%20statistics%20on%20one%20parent%20families%20in%20Ireland%202002%20and%202003.pdf

At 85% single mothers is the default.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

we are on about child benefit only, what are the rates for Denmark and Germany per child?

Sorry to butt in but I think DJ Jarvis means that other countries offer a broad range of family supports which Ireland at present does not hence the higher payments.

no i dont - i know what im talking about - i have 2 sisters living in germany for 30+ years plus - both have children - they have a better all round child care system

i have 2 children that are Finnish citizens and Irish, so trust me i know the benefits are better - considering moving to either country for those very reasons

i need to prove nothing - you want to prove me wrong - knock your self out

and saying its only child benifits is another red herring - if you have actually read my previous posts i stated that we get 1 child payment and sod all else - other EU nations get a child payment and get - child care places , school canteens - free school books - full dental cover - not having to wait 3 years for speech therapy , ect ect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Dj - just a suggestion but would you not be better off looking for a job to raise your children rather than deciding which country you want to move to for more "benefits"?

You're a disgrace

Sorry to butt in but I think DJ Jarvis means that other countries offer a broad range of family supports which Ireland at present does not hence the higher payments.

thank you - exactly the point i was making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

i never understood why we give money to people who don't need and don't give enough to people who do

no i dont - i know what im talking about - i have 2 sisters living in germany for 30+ years plus - both have children - they have a better all round child care system

i have 2 children that are Finnish citizens and Irish, so trust me i know the benefits are better - considering moving to either country for those very reasons

i need to prove nothing - you want to prove me wrong - knock your self out

and saying its only child benifits is another red herring - if you have actually read my previous posts i stated that we get 1 child payment and sod all else - other EU nations get a child payment and get - child care places , school canteens - free school books - full dental cover - not having to wait 3 years for speech therapy , ect ect

why would I want to prove you wrong?:confused:

It common practise to provide links, I thought it was anyway.

The thread is about child benefit payments.Start another thread on the other issues.

Dj - just a suggestion but would you not be better off looking for a job to raise your children rather than deciding which country you want to move to for more "benefits"?

You're a disgrace

whoooo there solider - i am working as is my wife ,i own my own business - self employed so not entitled to anything - i dont claim for nothing
    i was talking of moving for a better quality of life for my children
    where the hospitals work - the schools dont have 40 plus in each class

rather than have to stay in this bitte3r twisted country i now live in

real quick off the mark were ya not ???
    its a bad parent who does not want the best for their children , as i do
    and im willing to leave my family - friends and business to do this

am i still a disgrace ??

and ill take myself and my wife and children and pay my taxes someplace where they are used properly

idiot

You're a disgrace

But if he goes then it's one less your tax is going too!!!

He like everyone is entitled to his opinion, and he has gave much better than yours in this thread.

why would I want to prove you wrong?:confused:

It common practise to provide links, I thought it was anyway.

The thread is about child benefit payments.Start another thread on the other issues.

you really are not getting it are you? these are the same issues
    have you actually read any of my posts - its all there hondasam , not being smart but i can not think of any other way of explaining it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭My_left_leg

i cannot see why it is beyond the wit of our civil service/Govt to create a central mean-testing board for everybody in this state who wants to claim any type of state payment benefit/welfare. (and i include pensions, children's allowance, medical cards, college fees etc.)

incomes could be placed into 1 of say 5 bands, and the level of your "entitlements" would be determined by what band you fell into.

eg someone in the A band, like Mr. O'Leary, Michael Smurfitt or Bollox Ahearn would be entitled to nothing, and the poorest in society, those in the E band would receive full benefits.

Can it be so fricken difficult to organise & implement that?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I'm not even going to bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Pherekydes wrote: »
    He thinks he's too rich to get it, so he thinks it should be scrapped for everyone?
    Yeah, why not suggest it only be on offer to those who really need it rather than nobody getting it?
    Lol at people who resent needy people getting a helping hand - must be a lonely life...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

what I've never understood is why it increases for 3rd and subsequent children.
    surely it should lowered for subsequent children as food costs will only be marginally higher, clothes and toys are often handed down, etc.

also for twins you get 1.5 times the amount, and then one-off payments of €635 are given on their 4th & 12th birthdays. that should be abolished immediately.

Oh well there's a surprise, the fat single mother pro handouts. Someone has to pay for your disgusting diet, isn't that right joes girl?

:o you are a great role model for your child!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

means testing is a great idea-as long as the cut off point for qualifying isnt to low,many in the UK miss out on various means tested baby/child related benefits because they are a tiny bit over the mark,but they are still on a very low income.

this is just a thought but perhaps instead of giving child benefits in money,they shoud be given in vouchers for specific baby/child needs [according to their age] instead,or shops to have a tab system for people who claim those benefits,give them each a tab up to the cost of the benefit or spread out between different shops,the reciepts can be sent back to the benefits people to show what is being purchased-anything not allowed and they can get warnings and lose the benefit if they carry on doing that.
    its a way at stopping people spending their kids daily living needs money on things for themselves that are luxuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Can it be so fricken difficult to organise & implement that?:confused:

This is the country that needed a referendum/constitutional amendment, all to cut pay of a few public servants (Judges), more referendums everytime someone farts in Brussels

The country where public transport still has no integrated ticket system etc etc.

It might as well be quantum mechanics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Be entitled to it through the social welfare.parent would need to claim it as a benefit.

I think what she is talking about are the people that fall between having a high income and associative high taxes and those on welfare...someone working a minimum wage 39 hr week for instance who pay very little or no tax, so a tax credit would be unused...there would still need to be some middle ground and some form of payment to cover those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

it makes absolute sense to means test the benefit. What O'Leary says is basically spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If they are doing something about CB then perhaps they could also address why the children of loads of rich people qualify for education grants, why some rich farmers get big money in grants and why T.D's qualify for big pensions after serving only 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Abi wrote: »
    Ignorant prick.

You've said it pal.

Cutting it for those on low incomes is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Cutting it off for those of over a certain income bracket, I'd agree with.

See this would be using logic, something the government hasnt grasped yet

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mod:
    storminateacup banned.

Being a dick.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If every parent who smoked 20 a day quit, they wouldn't need the Children's allowance. I guess they haven't got their priorities straight.

Advertisement