Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI Vs Nvidia for 3D

Options
  • 21-11-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I've put myself in a bit of a pickle.

I bought a 3D projector and it's having problems running on my Gainward GeForce GTX 460 Golden Sample. With all Nvidias talk about 3D I assumed it was all a fairly generic and locked down feature. But it turns out Nividia have a fairly small list of compatible displays which my projector isn't on. For the most part it seems to be a common issue but I've heard some people can run 3D on the same set up as mine.

Support thread on Nvidia forum.

I've also heard other people have no problem running my projector through an ATI card. Do ATI cards run any 3D display?

I want to run 3D games it's what I bought the 3D projector for but at the minute I can't even run 3D blueray. I'd be prepared to sell my current card for an ATI card if it would work, but the reason I went for this particular card was for it's Adobe support and it's ability to render effects in after effects.

I'm worried about loosing out on the features of the Nvidia card and I'm also worried about buying a new ATI card only to find that won't work either.

Would I notice a big hit in performance in After effects even with a more powerful ATI card? How is ATI with 3D? How are Nvidia at updating their support lists? If I was waiting a month for the 3D support it wouldn't be too bad but if it's something that's never going to happen I might as well switch back to ATI.

Advertisement