Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant in arrears

Options
  • 21-11-2011 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I'm a landlord and my tenant tells me he applied and was approved for rent allowance some time ago. In spite of many promises I still haven't seen any of this money. What can I do? The tenant is now about 4 months in arrears and I'm at the end of my rope. Do I have to get him out and cut my losses or is there any comeback?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

moved from state benefits

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

mp22 wrote: »
    moved from state benefits
    contact the rent allowance people straight away. getting the tenant out is the only thing go do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

no money for four months?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/landlords_rights_and_obligations.html
    Rights as a landlord
    Terminate a tenancy without giving a reason during the first six months

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html
    Terminating a tenancy

Your landlord must always give you notice when asking you to leave. (Read more under 'Notice periods' and 'Notice of termination', below.) Landlords can ask tenants to leave without giving a reason during the first six months of a tenancy.
    and
    Notice periods

The length of notice depends on the length of the tenancy.
    Length of tenancy Notice by landlord
    Less than 6 months 4 weeks (28 days)
    and
    If you do not pay your rent a notice of termination may be served, only if the rent due has still not been paid 14 days after you get written notification from your landlord of the amount owing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Send the letter of termination by registered post. Why not give it to them by hand? Because they can deny it. By registered post, they'll have to sign for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

vietnam5 wrote: »
    I'm a landlord and my tenant tells me he applied and was approved for rent allowance some time ago. In spite of many promises I still haven't seen any of this money. What can I do? The tenant is now about 4 months in arrears and I'm at the end of my rope. Do I have to get him out and cut my losses or is there any comeback?

Why would you wait 4 months???? Rent should be paid 1 month in advance + deposit of one month. Anything else is asking for trouble. Give them notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭lau1247

the_syco wrote: »
    Send the letter of termination by registered post. Why not give it to them by hand? Because they can deny it. By registered post, they'll have to sign for it :D

Surely the OP can write a statement and get the tenant to sign it and date the statement to indicate that it was received

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

OP
    This exact thing happened me.

In my case the situation was
    The Tennant had been getting the cheques and cashing them and the 800 euro back pay was also cashed by the Tennant. He spent it all.
    I got suspicious and I asked him who his contact in the social welfare office and rang her (on the sly)
    She was able to tell me how many cheques what dates and when they were cashed,
    The look of shock when i told him i had spoke to her.

Now im not saying your tennant is stealing but you need to chase this now.

RING THAT TENANT NOW AND TELL HIM YOU WILL CHASE UP ON HIS BEHALF.
    GET NAMES OF PEOPLE HE WAS DEALING WITH IE HIS LOCAL WELFARE OFFICER WHO WILL KNOW HIM,.
    THEN MAKE SURE ALL FUTURE CHEQUES (If you decide to keep him are put directly into YOUR bank account. Which is easy done. Should be bloody done autmatically

Advertisement