Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving is a no-go..so..

• 21-11-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Off the road for 18 months. Got my licence back but insurance is a joke now, can't afford it.

Just wondering, seen as I can't drive a car because insurance is a bomb, does anybody know if a moped of some sort might be applicable in my situation? Will insurance still be a bomb or will it be affordable seen as a moped is...well...a moped... they go like 20mph..

Thanks!
    ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They will screw you over for years for anything that has an engine in it.

I would get a horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭i124Q

They will screw you over for years for anything that has an engine in it.

I would get a horse.

Suppose I shall leave my horse outside then.

Hmmehh.. Life is unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You should visit the biking forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Moved from Legal Discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Nope, a endorsement, driving ban or claim is the same no matter what vehicle you drive. You might be able to afford the insurance on a 50cc or 125cc but don't expect it to be cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

There are only four insurance companies that insure bikes.

In your case, there might be two who might insure you.

Why don't you call them, and get a quote.

Start with Quinn, and see how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Quinn will quote you and aon aswell. The rest won't. Well they wouldnt quote me anyways lol.
    Adeliaide don't isnure till 5 years after conviction. Carole Nash said 2 years I think it was.

Thanks P.C and seanybiker for those replies.

God it really sucks, don't they realise we've been off the road for almost 2 years and have learned our lesson?
    €6,000(with Axa) for me to get insured on a 1 litre car.
    Bullshizz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

i124Q wrote: »

God it really sucks, don't they realise we've been off the road for almost 2 years and have learned our lesson?
    Bullshizz!

Jesus christ!!
    I gotta ask.. WTF did you do in the first place to lose the licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Bullshizz!

The figures justify it. For example the re-conviction rate for drunk drivers is around 20%. and that's just the people who got caught, its believed to be more around the 80% mark for re-offence.

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote: »

Bullshizz!

Jesus christ!!
    I gotta ask.. WTF did you do in the first place to lose the licence?

Yeah i was just one of the unlucky ones sitting in my car after a few beers with no intention of driving. Then to fight the case is too difficult. How do you prove your intentions under the influence. Anyway sorry if we're getting off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

What where you getting a quote on, would it happen to be a Boeing 747 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Bullshizz!

Laugh down the phone at them! ****. There's a few companies take on convicted drivers like st.pauls etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

op do you have a motorbike licence?
    If not it will be just as expensive imho..

As the initial lay off of gear/helmet/ibt/bike will be just as much as the crazy car insurance....
    unfortunately its just one of those things....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Bullshizz!
    jaysus that's crazy money lol.
    Quinn quoted me 1014 for me Gsxr 1000 which wasn't to bad. Kinda sickened then when I realised I was 6 months early looking for a quote. See what happens in Feb I suppose. Carole Nash said 2 years so ill ring them up the day after I get me license back for the craic.
    Best of luck getting a quote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Just in case you decided you had no choice but to drive, you'll probably find that it'll be the same E6k ish in any kind of modest car. In Ireland, you'll rarely get more than a small few bob off insuring a tiny car compared to a medium sized one unless you're under 23. I have a mate who was put off the road for drink driving. He was a car fanatic and decided to insure a proper 1.6 for thousands the first year back but the premiums became reasonable again and he was back in performance cars after the first year or two. When he got the 1.6, he said it was no cheaper to insure something smaller.

In fact, at 18, I paid 4000 punts back in 2000 to insure a 1.4. Get your calculator out and you're doing better than I did then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

cantdecide wrote: »
    Just in case you decided you had no choice but to drive, you'll probably find that it'll be the same E6k ish in any kind of modest car. In Ireland, you'll rarely get more than a small few bob off insuring a tiny car compared to a medium sized one unless you're under 23. I have a mate who was put off the road for drink driving. He was a car fanatic and decided to insure a proper 1.6 for thousands the first year back but the premiums became reasonable again and he was back in performance cars after the first year or two. When he got the 1.6, he said it was no cheaper to insure something smaller.

In fact, at 18, I paid 4000 punts back in 2000 to insure a 1.4. Get your calculator out and you're doing better than I did then.

Off topic: How much was the insurance in NZ?

Advertisement