Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you hate it when people shorten your name?

• 21-11-2011 8:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

You know, i loathe when people do this! :mad: ..imo it's disrespectful, being a "Richard" you get all sorts of crappy abbreviations thrown at you, Dick/Dickie/Rich/Richie etc.

Speaking as a Richard i actually happen to like my name, i identify with being a Richard, imo it's a proud and strong name with a long history. It's long been a pet peev of mine, it's also why i never shorten names, like if a girl is called Abigail i don't call her Abby or Abs, unless she's OK with it.

I think that's the central issue, the context....many times people have shortened my name to take the piss or just be nasty, if i know there is genuine affection attached i don't mind being called Richie but never allow Dick...i hate that :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Monosyllabic name FTW!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So people try be friendly and you take exception to them shortening your name?

I bet you get invited to all the coolest parties...... Dick!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah Dick. I do Dick!

Dick!

:mad: don't be a dick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I don't mind as long as they don't add HEAD to the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Poor Rich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

People spell and pronounce my name wrong - wrecks my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Cant say I do Ricky.

:mad: don't be a dick!

Lol. I edited my post Dick! Sorry Rich!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

my wife's name is Titiana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Unlucky Ricardo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

No :( my name isn't really short-able. never had a nick name cause of it, which makes me feel unpopular and uncool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Dick Dower, suppose it is at least memorable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

No :( my name isn't really short-able. never had a nick name cause of it, which makes me feel unpopular and uncool.

never mind, we'll just call you Stu.... OK?

You know what's worse? When people put "O" or "y/ie" at the end of your name for no apparent reason.

"Hi i'm Mark"

"Nice to meet you Marko/Marky"

Stop it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the lads used to call me Dickie at work, I quite liked it, especially when the girls picked it up too:D

Your options now are

Stupid
    User
    Name
    Stupidname
    Nameuser.:pac:

You are right none of them are cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Don't ever go to Australia OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I'm very similar to you OP. I prefer to be called by my full name Michael and I always introduce myself as that but for some reason a lot of people have a problem calling me that thinking it's too formal. So my name gets shortened a lot.

I get called a combination of Mike and Mick. I prefer Mike if it has to be shortened and I'm not such a fan of being called Mick. Then there's other variations but I don't think many can pull off introducing yourself Mikey or Mickey or something else daft.

You get used to it but I don't know why people do this. Because of this peeve like you I always make a point of calling someone by their full name unless they introduce themselves as a shortened version of their name or tell me to call them something else. It's just good manners :cool:

Kasabian wrote: »
    Your options now are

Stupid
    User
    Name
    Stupidname

That's cause his username is stupid

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

All this bitching about the name Dick made me think of this:

FWIW, my name's Finbarr and I prefer when people call me Fin. I can't really explain but Finbarr sounds like an old man's name to me. I don't want to be old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

corktina wrote: »
    never mind, we'll just call you Stu.... OK?

No thanks.
    You know what's worse? When people put "O" or "y/ie" at the end of your name for no apparent reason.

"Hi i'm Mark"

Stop it!

oh hai mark!

i do that :o
    Your options now are

Stupid
    User
    Name
    Stupidname

If only my name really was Stupid

I'll get my coat.

you do that

I'll get my coat.

He is a sexy she!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Sorry Dowerer, never had to deal with that, I did grow up with my name being elongated on a regular basis, did'nt mind though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

My name being Barry, I don't mind Baz/Bazza, but call me Bar and I will kick you in the willy/vagina.

He is a sexy she!!

Woops! Internet habit. My bad Stupidusername:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I don't hate it, in my work I meet a lot of people on a weekly basis, and if they are comfortable calling me something related to my name, I'm ok with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

You know, i loathe when people do this! :mad: ..imo it's disrespectful, being a "Richard" you get all sorts of crappy abbreviations thrown at you, Dick/Dickie/Rich/Richie etc.

I agree, I ignore people when they try to improve my given name. :mad:

It is very disrespectful. Just because you call your friend Anto doesn't mean I like my name shortened that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Christopher
    I like it, the length of it gives off a sophisticated aura.

Chris
    Like it, short, snappy and gets to the point.
    Among friends Christopher sounds too formal.

Christy
    Not a fan...

Christ
    I'm a fan of Christ, shame it isn't used more :D

Martin
    A surname that can be used as a first name.
    Rarely called Martin. Don't mind though...

Oh and having the same name as Coldplay lead singer, that comes up on occasion...

That's the extent of my name though I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Doesnt bother me. In fact people only call me by my real name when i'm in trouble, so i rather they keep it short so i know i havent been bold :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

corktina wrote: »
    the lads used to call me Dickie at work, I quite liked it, especially when the girls picked it up too:D
    I like when people shorten my name - it's usually done in an affectionate manner. It's two syllables so it's just a matter of saying the first syllable, and adding a s to it sometimes too. E.g. if my name was Aoife (which it isn't): Aoif or Aoifs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

You do come across as a bit of a richard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It doesn't really bother me once the shortened name doesn't irritate me. Now I don't like 'dick' short for 'Richard'. 'Ritchie' be better. I don't like the full name though either. 'Chris' isn't too bad though. It is easier to name someone with a shorter name when in conversation though I personally prefer the full name to pet names though. I cannot stand pet names, terms of endearment is ok but certain pet names just does my head in.

If people shorten my name I wouldn't be too bothered but if its a pet name that would annoyed me then it would bother me.

I much prefer to call people by their proper name unless they already have their name shortened themselves or have a nickname that everyone knows of them of that name that's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

"Hi i'm Mark"

Stop it!

Never got this at all-how is it a nickname when you're adding length?? Same with my name, a -y or an -ie is always added to it, even though its the same length as saying my actual name! I like nicknames when they shorten a name. Abigail is long, abby or abs is nice and snappy. But not randomly adding -o and -y to stuff!

baz2009 wrote: »
    My name being Barry, I don't mind Baz/Bazza, but call me Bar and I will kick you in the willy/vagina.
    My bro is called Barry. I call him Barr more than Baz - but Barr is a real Cork thing, what with St Finbarr, the Barrs (GAA club) etc.

Baz is kinda Essex. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

When people shorten my name, it becomes another name that's really common. I prefer my actual name, saves confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Most people who are familiar with me call me Kev, which I prefer. Kevin sounds formal to me at this stage.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

For some reason a lot of people call me crispy bacon :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I don't mind as long as they don't add HEAD to the end of it.

Skinhead redhead or dick head ? so many possibilities :p

Only some names can be shortened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Most people call me Aoife, but it's sometimes lengthened to Aoifey, or shortened to Aoif or Aoifs. I like the changed versions, but I'm okay with my own name too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

For some reason a lot of people call me crispy bacon :confused:
    ive got the same problem, my middle initial has been added to my name, i like it, makes it stand out more, rather than just plain 'John'

• Advertisement

Aoifey! wrote: »
    Most people call me Aoife, but it's sometimes lengthened to Aoifey, or shortened to Aoif or Aoifs. I like the changed versions, but I'm okay with my own name too.

Aoife is a nice Irish name, embrace it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I'll get my coat.

Maybe drop the hand before you leave to check if "he" is a he ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Dont mind my name been shortened to Gar but I really hate it when they call me Gazza

Aoifey! wrote: »
    Yeah I've a two syllable name ending in 'a' too and the above just seems to be the natural default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Dudess wrote: »
    My bro is called Barry. I call him Barr more than Baz - but Barr is a real Cork thing, what with St Finbarr, the Barrs (GAA club) etc.

Baz is kinda Essex. :pac:

Which instantly makes it wrong.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

well my name can only really be shortened down to the first 3 letters, repeated, i dont mind, sounds ok but abeit a bit babyish :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I hate it when people stir their tea counter clockwise, what's that about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

There's more people that call me by my nickname and handle than
    actually call me by my actual name.

~B

I hate it when people stir their tea counter clockwise, what's that about.

Surely worthy of a thread of it's own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Ive actually been called by my nickname since i was born,its very rare that people call me by my original name,nobody does not even my parents.

• Advertisement
Advertisement