Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you hate it when people shorten your name?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I've yet to meet someone who has shortened the name Eoin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

My name is kinda long so I'm used to it being cut short. Don't mind my friends cutting it short, but kinda irritates me when people that I don't know so well do it... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

What name do you like whisperd in your your ear when you're doing it just right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Kiera wrote: »
    Maybe drop the hand before you leave to check if "he" is a he ;)
    I like your style!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

13spanner wrote: »

Well you could shorten Eoghan to Eoin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I hate it when people stir their tea counter clockwise, what's that about.

I stole your idea....but gave you credit, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056458122#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I stole your idea....but gave you credit, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056458122#

Poor fecker now has to be linked to your shíte thread :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I was serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

You know, i loathe when people do this! :mad: ..imo it's disrespectful, being a "Richard" you get all sorts of crappy abbreviations thrown at you, Dick/Dickie/Rich/Richie etc.

Speaking as a Richard i actually happen to like my name, i identify with being a Richard, imo it's a proud and strong name with a long history. It's long been a pet peev of mine,

Alright Dave.

it's also why i never shorten names, like if a girl is called Abigail i don't call her Abby or Abs, unless she's OK with it.
    People that do this mean it in a friendly or an affectionate way I think. It would piss me off if it was meant with patronizing undertone, but I would be quick enough and well able to hold my own in that situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I play soccer with an Eoin, and he gets called O sometimes.

Actually most of the lads who play soccer have had their name bastardized into one-syllable versions of their names. There's a Rich, Gar, Kev and Den. I think it started at soccer, they get called by their shortened names half the time as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

I've never introduced myself by my full name. I'd feel silly to be honest.
    My shortened name is still changed by everyone I know by the miracle of adding an "o" or an "y". Which I'm ok with. Adding "twattybollix" to it makes me sad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

MIN2511 wrote: »
    People spell and pronounce my name wrong - wrecks my head!

It's probably all the numbers at the end that throw people. You have to admit, it's not that common to encounter. Aren't too many other robots living in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

My parents once told me that they chose my name, and my sister's, with shortening in mind: they hated when it happened to them, and didn't want it happening to us. So I have a name that doesn't have a useful contraction. Occasionally someone tries to shorten it, and I don't get annoyed - because I don't think they're talking to me at all. ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My name would be pretty hard to shorten so people never do it. I don't think I'd mind though, in all honesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I've lengthened it. Often call my friend Eoiny. I'm not sure why... It just adds more syllables?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Not really the only people that shorten my name are my family.
    So I'm kind of used to it at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

strobe wrote: »
    It's probably all the numbers at the end that throw people. You have to admit, it's not that common to encounter. Aren't too many other robots living in Ireland.
    Hahahahha.... Do I know you? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

my name is peter

variations that piss me of , they just kept getting worse
    pete (like the turf) :(
    pee
    pj (i spelled it pee jay thoyght it was cooler)
    pader
    petey
    pat short
    polo
    pauline
    and
    mc lovin

Not really the only people that shorten my name are my family.
    So I'm kind of used to it at this stage.

are you aaron that won BB uk? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

my name is peter

variations that piss me of , they just kept getting worse
    pete (like the turf) :(
    pee
    pj (i spelled it pee jay thoyght it was cooler)
    pader
    petey
    pat short
    polo
    pauline
    and
    mc lovin

Try not to worry about it too much Pedro :D
    And no I did not win Big Brother but thanks for believing in me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

No I like it

Kev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'm not sure if this is just a Tallaght thing or not, but the one I always thought was awful, not too mention made no sense at all, was when people shortened 'Christopher' to 'Git'. Brutal.

Try not to worry about it too much Pedro :D
    And no I did not win Big Brother but thanks for believing in me!

haha but your the buk that can bend your arm into wiered positions , your cool i call you mr fantstic :D

Vote-for-Pedro.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

You know, i loathe when people do this! :mad: ..imo it's disrespectful, being a "Richard" you get all sorts of crappy abbreviations thrown at you, Dick/Dickie/Rich/Richie etc.

Speaking as a Richard i actually happen to like my name, i identify with being a Richard, imo it's a proud and strong name with a long history. It's long been a pet peev of mine, it's also why i never shorten names, like if a girl is called Abigail i don't call her Abby or Abs, unless she's OK with it.

I think that's the central issue, the context....many times people have shortened my name to take the piss or just be nasty, if i know there is genuine affection attached i don't mind being called Richie but never allow Dick...i hate that :mad:

Back to England with you Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I hate it when people call me Koj....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I hate it! My name shortened is Lee, just don't like the sound of it.

Twee. wrote: »
    I hate it! My name shortened is Lee, just don't like the sound of it.

:D

woooops dident know you were a mod :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Anyone who shortens the name "Frank" to "Fran" is someone I don't want to know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I worked at a bank in London where we had Baz, Caz, Daz, Gaz, Maz, Jaz, and a few others. It really irritated me as I thought it was a pretty childish way of shortening everyone's name. Thankfully my name is only one syllable and no one tried to shorten it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Gyalist wrote: »
    I worked at a bank in London where we had Baz, Caz, Daz, Gaz, Maz, Jaz, and a few others. It really irritated me as I thought it was a pretty childish way of shortening everyone's name. Thankfully my name is only one syllable and no one tried to shorten it.

Taz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

it's like the dublin version of shortening a guys name then adding an 'o' to the end. slightly cringy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 knotastic

if you hate people saying your abbreviated name why dont you intorduce yourself as youre middle name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ok Laz.

I prefer my name shortened, but then again, my name doesn't shorten to "Dick", so I guess it's different for the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

I personally like my names short version....Cat/Kat. Then again there are lots of ways to call my name some of them wreck my head like Cait or Triona....really annoying!

ok Laz.

that reminds me of my favorit mix taz bars in cheese and onion tayto , yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

yep, dont like my long name, the shorter version is much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Hate it esp all those dublin knackers called Steo and Anto and Heroino

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

hondasam wrote: »
    Skinhead redhead or dick head ? so many possibilities :p

Only some names can be shortened.
    uh,skinhead redhead here.:p:cool: [well,its in need of a shaving to still qualify for that thur definition].

have always been called the short version- em, as opposed to emma,so it feels more natural to shorten,tend to not process the long version as its rarely used.

for some people,can understand why having a name shortened may be off putting but just tell people which one prefer them to use and if they have any care/manners they will do as asked.

and if its a really targetted name,like dick is; there is always the option of getting it changed by deed poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

There's no way to shorten my name or make it into a cool nickname. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Speaking as a Richard i actually happen to like my name, i identify with being a Richard, imo it's a proud and strong name with a long history. It's long been a pet peev of mine, it's also why i never shorten names, like if a girl is called Abigail i don't call her Abby or Abs, unless she's OK with it.

I think that's the central issue, the context....many times people have shortened my name to take the piss or just be nasty, if i know there is genuine affection attached i don't mind being called Richie but never allow Dick...i hate that :mad:
    why dont you get a life insteed of worring about crap like that RICKETS O sorry DICKY:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Fouxd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

You are very lucky then Fu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Most people shorten my real name, it's fine by me tbh, don't see anything wrong with it.

I'd rather they shorten my first name than always call me by my First and Surname :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Nope, I rather like mine when it's shortened to Fló. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I like some of the abbreviations of my name. Here in the UK in my social circle people refer to me by my surname because there were two of us of the same name on our course. I don't particularly like it, it makes me appear as somewhat of a ladette. It's stuck though do I'm dealing with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Just don't live in certain areas of Dublin and call your kids Anthony and Declan, then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I quite like having my name shortened, (Cillian, shortened to Cill) But a friend of mine is Called Richard and he hates it with a passion and will only answer to Richie/Rich... However.. If we call him Dick its funny due to his middle name.. Ed Normally goes like this!

Dick-'ed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

My first name is a hyphenated one.
    Almost everyone I know shortens it, which I prefer.
    Having two first names instead of a first and middle name is such a pain. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement