Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear Wireless G Router WGR614v10 from UPC

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭stephen97

BenThere wrote: »
    This is totally wrecking my head!! I now have two routers and I'm getting half the download speeds and half the signal coverage that I was getting before I added the "Rangemaster".

How can two wireless routers be performing worse than one??

Ben
    Sounds like you need to get somebody in to diagnose your situation, its alright giving advice on scenarios, but unless the person can see whats going wrong its difficult to offer advice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭stephen97

BenThere wrote: »
    This is totally wrecking my head!! I now have two routers and I'm getting half the download speeds and half the signal coverage that I was getting before I added the "Rangemaster".

How can two wireless routers be performing worse than one??

Ben
    i did a little research online and you may have bought the wrong router, if you had have bought the one i suggested then you would have been alright cos it works perfect in my house but it seems you bought the 600n adapter, it seems that you need to match adapters with router models and this may be the cause of all your woe, you said you followed my instructions to the letter and it appears now that you havent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Stephen,

I did buy the router you linked to, it's the N300 High Performance Dual Band Router with "WNDR3300" after the name.

The N600 I referred to is the USB Netgear wi-fi adapter I have working on my PC See http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-adapters/high-performance/WNDA3100.aspx

See, I did follow your instructions to a tee :-)

No worries either way. I need to learn this stuff so I'll keep plugging away until I get it working properly which at this stage basically means getting it to broadcast a strong signal which can be picked up anywhere in the house. This should be well within it's capability given the house is timber framed and the max point in the house from the router is only 20 metres.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I was upgraded to UPC 50Mbps today and they installed a new Cisco EPC3925 modem so I thought I'd have another crack at getting a decent signal from the super duper NetGear Rangemaster WNDR3300 wireless router I purchased to give me an N speed LAN but still, no matter what I try I'm getting crap signal from the Rangemaster.

Where I was getting 75% signal strength and 20Mbps download speeds from my old (free) G Netgear wireless router I'm only able to get 20% signal strength and 9Mbps download speed from the N Rangemaster.

When I plug the cable in at the router I get the full 50Mbps download speed but when I connect via WIFI literally 12 inches from the Rangemaster I only get 10Mbps download speed and 5 metres away behind a partition I'm getting less than 5Mbps download speed.

I think it's time to raise the white flag!!

Anyone know someone in South Dublin who would run some cable around my house????

Ben

Advertisement