Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a phone line

Options
  • 21-11-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi we are building an extension which requires moving an eircom phone line. We've rung Eircom anonomously and asked about getting it done and have basically been told they will survey the job which is charged at 300 plus euro within 10 days and upon completion will do the recommended work within 2 months. Our extension is currently under way and if we have to wait for this whole process then the project will be delayed severely with the potencial loss of the builder what are the implications of moving the line ourselves.

I would be very grateful for a reply thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

carrollga wrote: »
    Hi we are building an extension which requires moving an eircom phone line. We've rung Eircom anonomously and asked about getting it done and have basically been told they will survey the job which is charged at 300 plus euro within 10 days and upon completion will do the recommended work within 2 months. Our extension is currently under way and if we have to wait for this whole process then the project will be delayed severely with the potencial loss of the builder what are the implications of moving the line ourselves.

I would be very grateful for a reply thx

Hi carrollga,

Thanks for your post.

If you want to move your master phone socket to a new extension point, in the same building, you generally have two basic options:

1) Send your plans with a contact phone number to Plant Alterations at eircom : plantalterations@eircom.ie
    eircom will then contact you with a time frame and a quote for this new installation.

2) Alternatively, and perhaps the most cost effective, is that you contact a third party (for e.g: qualified electrician, or network engineer).

The latter will need to be of a high specification, and if you currently have broadband, you should test that it is working before they complete their works.

eircom are responsible for repairing or fixing any problem with your master phone socket (mdp). The mdp is initially installed by an eircom engineer, usually within one or two metres from the main entrance of the premises /house, etc. This allows the engineers access to service the mdp if necessary at a later stage.

Moving the mdp is not something that eircom will generally do, unless it's through Plant Alterations. The time frame may not be as long as you say, though it can be quite expensive. Therefore I would advise that you seek out a third party to assist you with this installation. You should however be aware that this work can not be guaranteed by eircom. As advised already, you should ensure they, whoever you employ for the installation, will meet your full phone and broadband requirements before they complete their works.

Let me know if I can help you further,
    Ant

Advertisement