Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

residue on polished porcelain tiles

• 21-11-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

we have just got our porcelain tiles they were 24 euro a square yard. I havent got the tiler to put them down yet as after they were delivered i saw that there was a residue on them. It dosnt come of with boiling water. im afraid it is a fault with the tiles and if i lay them i will never get it off. My tiler said he has never came across it and when i rang the shop they said to put them down and you can clean them afterwards. im just wondering did anyone else have this problem with cream polished porcelain tiles . I am just wondering would i be better off returning the tiles. it like they are completely streaked

Advise greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

i wouldnt fit them.by fitting you are accepting responsability.most places will say any return is void after you fit.i bet if you ask for them to put it in writing and sign a letter stating what they said they would run a mile.bring them back

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

Dont put them down, i have fitted alot of porc tile and never came across this

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scarlett o hara

Hi op, what's the update on your tile problem? If you haven't already returned them I have a suggestion for you.
    A lot of polished porcelain tiles will have a waxy residue on them, applied by the manufacturer to prevent scratching while they are in boxes.
    If you use a plastic (not wire!!!) scrubbing pad and some hot soapy water ( there is a tile detergent available, that's ph neutral) it should sort the problem.
    I'm not a tller so maybe wrong but could be worth your while trying if you haven't already returned them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 barry1302

Best way to remove this wax residue is to allow a grout film to form on the tile when the tile is buffed this removes the wax. The problem does not persist on small format tiles as the grouting process will normally remove this. However the large format tiles 50x50 and bigger may leave residue in the centre as during the process of grouting the tiler may only grout the joint area.
    I have done this in my friends house after speaking with a tiler and all though their was a little elbow grease required the results where worth it

Advertisement