Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night vision reversing camera

• 21-11-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi a question to anyone with a Night vision reversing camera fitted.
    Just fitted one to my van brought power to camera at rear and screen at front.A switch on the screen switches off the screen(simple enough).But the camera seems to be always switched on.So what you say but at night the infrared leds light up and I want to know is this normal i.e. do your leds light up at night also even the van is parked up and not in use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Alanv420

Hi Defike
    Mine is exactly the same leds on all the time, but I wired it through the leisure batt so when I isolate the 12v system they turn off. This was more by luck than judgement!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Thanks for the reply I thought I'd wired something wrong.
    Yea mine is also from the leisure battery.
    I never disconnect my battery so its on all the time.
    I guess its no harm just strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Will that not drain the battery??? or am I missing something?

In my case it won't because the van is parked outside with a solar panel on the roof.But yes that was another reason I thought I'd wired something wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

It should be wired to a switched live.

Assuming the camera isn't powered also (possibly is)
    Leds probably drawing at a minimum 30mA each so say 6 leds = 180mA

180mA * 12.7V = 2.286W
    180mA x 24h/day = 4.32Ah / day

In december in dublin airport solar insolation is 22.5w/m2
    Solar panels are typically rated at 1000W/m2 so in dublin, in December;

(assuming not overshadowed by trees, building etc. mounted flat)
    24w panel = 0.54W panel
    48w panel = 1.08W panel
    60w panel = 1.35W panel
    100w panel = 2.25W panel

Those figures can be improved by correct orientation and angle of the panel but it gives you an idea of what realistically to expect from a solar panel.

You also need to bear in mind that the vehicle will probably be drawing a few mA as will your alarm and battery self discharge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

Are reversing cameras not usually wired off the live from the reversing light.
    This is for cars anyway. Not sure about campers.

The camera is wired to permanent 12v.
    Not sure what you mean by switched live.
    The screen comes on when you switch it on or when reverse is selected.
    If there was a switch on the camera then I would have to hit that switch
    too for the thing to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Alanv420

My system is slightly different in that I have twin cameras one for reversing and one for rear view, my monitor has two inputs which I switch between depending on the situation. I also have an isolation switch for my 12v system, consequently I don't have to worry about draining my leisure batteries. This way I can keep an extra eye on the bikes when I'm parked up. I have a Clipper BM1 and it would take about 10 days of constant use of camera's and monitor to flatten my batteries. This works for me......

There's two suitable switched lives already at the rear of the van.
    Reversing lights (activates while in reverse) and tail lights (for night mode)

Yes I see what you're saying but if I wire the camera to these I would only be able to use the thing with reverse selected or lights on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

defike wrote: »
    Yes I see what you're saying but if I wire the camera to these I would only be able to use the thing with reverse selected or lights on.

Drive with your dip lights on all the time.......makes it easier for everybody to see you too ;)

OK I must do a bit of rewiring.Both the screen and camera to the reverse light.But also both screen and camera to 12v via a switch so it can be used when driving forwards and when parked.Thanks for help.

You only need one +, if you're putting in a switch then you dont need to tap your reverse lights for one. I'd put it on the sidelights if I was inclined to get one. If you do chose to run the screen off the reverse lights then the fuse board's prob. the nearest point to pick up a + for that from the front. I'd put the screen in with the cigarette lighter though if that turns off when the key is out.

...or theres a + going to the radio too if that's easier.

Advertisement