Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd year History/Politics clash

• 21-11-2011 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭

Basically i really really really want to do a module in Politics in the second semester but my problem is that it clashes with a core history module on a thursday. now this wouldnt be a problem in itself because i have friends in both! but im just wondering is it unwise for me to do this as i have an end of year exam in both of them?what is the probability of them clashing on the exam timetable? do the exam timetables change alot every year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Xxsparkyxx wrote: »
    Basically i really really really want to do a module in Politics in the second semester but my problem is that it clashes with a core history module on a thursday. now this wouldnt be a problem in itself because i have friends in both! but im just wondering is it unwise for me to do this as i have an end of year exam in both of them?what is the probability of them clashing on the exam timetable? do the exam timetables change alot every year?

Just drop one. Simple as that. It's not wise to try to go to both, especially in 2nd year, when your workload will increase substantially between now and March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

You won't be able to drop the History core from your timetable as, by definition, a core class is mandatory one. So the optional politics module will have to go.

I wouldn't advise trying to double-job it for the simple reason that the exam has gone from being absolutely and always predictable to relatively unpredictable since they shook up the 2nd year core modules last year.

Before, it would have been a matter of looking at the past exam papers. Not so much these days. And I believe you have tutorials attached to your 2nd year History core too so that'll just complicate matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭Xxsparkyxx

Plautus wrote: »
    You won't be able to drop the History core from your timetable as, by definition, a core class is mandatory one. So the optional politics module will have to go.

I wouldn't advise trying to double-job it for the simple reason that the exam has gone from being absolutely and always predictable to relatively unpredictable since they shook up the 2nd year core modules last year.

Before, it would have been a matter of looking at the past exam papers. Not so much these days. And I believe you have tutorials attached to your 2nd year History core too so that'll just complicate matters.

Thanks for that! Though I'm not particularly worried about alternating between them every second Thursday!my friends will helps me with the notes as I'm doing the same for them this semester when they can't make it to a politics module once a week!il still be able to go to the history on a tuesday! I'm willing to and have been working hard so the workload isn't an issue for me! My only concern is that come may both exams could possibility be scheduled for the same time on the same day?then I'd have no option to but to skip one and repeat it in august! I know that programme timetables don't change much from year to year so I was wondering if it was the same for the summer exam timetables? Like if it was the case that there for the most part the same I could go by last years timetable to check if they clash! I'm stuck in a rut really tbh I haven't actually enrolled in the politics module that I want to do yet..I emailed the secretary and she said she would try to change it for me! I originally picked two government modules....did some this semester aswell and I am 100% dreading doing more of them after Xmas!really want to focus more in the area of philosophy modules..just trying to see if there is any possible way that it will all work out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

If you can alternate every second week and have mates to give you notes/information you missed then I don't see the problem.

Orizio wrote: »
    If you can alternate every second week and have mates to give you notes/information you missed then I don't see the problem.
    The only problem with it is the possibility that they could end up been scheduled for the same time on the same day in the summer exam?I'm just wondering what the chances are of this happening?:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

You should also consider that if the exams do clash and you have to 'repeat' the one you missed in the Autumn your marks for the Autumn exam could be capped at 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 2022rae

It's very likely that if they clash in the semester timetable they will also clash in the exam timetable, not definite of course but highly likely. Also, just to reiterate, you can't drop core modules - these are mandatory! You could fail that entire subject if you fail to complete any/all core modules. Disappointing I know, the same thing happened to me before with both modules and subjects! Hope this helps =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Just a question. Is it still possible to change a module. It is just after starting since we returned to college after Christmas so what ever I would be changing to I would have missed out on very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 2022rae

closeline wrote: »
    Just a question. Is it still possible to change a module. It is just after starting since we returned to college after Christmas so what ever I would be changing to I would have missed out on very little.

I believe the university's change-of-mind deadline is in October so it is probably too late. This, however, could be different depending on your particular individual department but most adhere to that same date. I know that for all modules I ever undertook they went by the university's main change-of-mind deadline of October. I would imagine it is unlikely you will be able to change but only the relevant department will be able to give you a definite answer. Hope this helps! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

2022rae wrote: »
    I believe the university's change-of-mind deadline is in October so it is probably too late. This, however, could be different depending on your particular individual department but most adhere to that same date. I know that for all modules I ever undertook they went by the university's main change-of-mind deadline of October. I would imagine it is unlikely you will be able to change but only the relevant department will be able to give you a definite answer. Hope this helps! :)

I really didnt want to hear this. Thanks anyway

• Advertisement

closeline wrote: »
    2022rae wrote: »

I really didnt want to hear this. Thanks anyway

With politics you can!dont think it's possible for history:)

Advertisement