Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Sweden in about 5 years.

Options
  • 21-11-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Obviously no one can predict the future, but would you say it'd be a good move to move to Sweden by myself? I'd be 23 with a degree in Computer Science. I'll probably be living at home up till then, so I'll have a bit of money (not much). I'd need to get a job and pay for everything myself. Would I be wiser to stay at home for a few years and try to get a job here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Why Sweden? Do you speak Swedish or just have a general interest/yearning to go there.
    I'd advise you to get a part time job if you don't have one already to save up as much as possibly if your heart is set on moving to Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sounds like you have not completed your studies yet, why not do a few semesters over there and see how you like it first. Plus this would also help with networking and establishing potential employment opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

joshrogan wrote: »
    Why Sweden? Do you speak Swedish or just have a general interest/yearning to go there.
    I'd advise you to get a part time job if you don't have one already to save up as much as possibly if your heart is set on moving to Sweden.

No I don't speak Swedish. I just have quite a strong urge to move there.
    jester77 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have not completed your studies yet, why not do a few semesters over there and see how you like it first. Plus this would also help with networking and establishing potential employment opportunities.

That's quite a good idea. I'll have to see if that's possible. Otherwise I might try to go over during a summer to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭droicead

you picked the right country to have an urge to go to!
    i gave 3 winters there,loved it,the majority of people speak english very good so dont be worried about the language barrier,be prepared to fall in love every 5 mins tho,the ladies are stunning,well fond of the irish,they see us as demented pirates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

joshrogan wrote: »

I live in Stockholm. Ou don't need to speak Swedish that's complete nonsense. Everyone speaks great English.

Computer science will offer a great opportunity over here. I'm a programmer and our company uses English as primary language .i.e all coding is written in english.

Best have enough money to support yourself for about 2 months. Any Irish I meet that are just over have no issue getting work. Come in summer, more bar jobs etc until you find something professional.

Best of luck. The best move you ll ever make is getting out of that cesspit we call home :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭esperanza1

To OP:
    Postgraduate education in Sweden is free of charge, if you're interested in continuing your studies. And, not all courses are in Swedish, you can also study in English. Check out mastersportal.eu

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

droicead wrote: »
    you picked the right country to have an urge to go to!
    i gave 3 winters there,loved it,the majority of people speak english very good so dont be worried about the language barrier,be prepared to fall in love every 5 mins tho,the ladies are stunning,well fond of the irish,they see us as demented pirates

Ah yeah, that's the type of stuff ya want to hear!
    JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    I live in Stockholm. Ou don't need to speak Swedish that's complete nonsense. Everyone speaks great English.

Computer science will offer a great opportunity over here. I'm a programmer and our company uses English as primary language .i.e all coding is written in english.

Best have enough money to support yourself for about 2 months. Any Irish I meet that are just over have no issue getting work. Come in summer, more bar jobs etc until you find something professional.

Best of luck. The best move you ll ever make is getting out of that cesspit we call home :)

Sounds quite promising. I really hope I do get to move after college now!
    esperanza1 wrote: »
    To OP:
    Postgraduate education in Sweden is free of charge, if you're interested in continuing your studies. And, not all courses are in Swedish, you can also study in English. Check out mastersportal.eu

That's very interesting. I'd absolutely love to do that, but I'll have to see how I go with jobs and money. I imagine I'd need to be fairly well off to support myself during a full time degree for 2 years ( I really need to think about the figures closer to the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

i live here in stockholm and i am permanently employed here

i would encourage you to get into an erasmus programme as a way to try it out. thats what i did:D:D

bear in mind that while most people speak english, you should aim to learn swedish...i know quite a few people here who just don't bother, which i would find quite offensive, if i was a native swede
    there are plenty of free courses for learning if you are registered with a university.

let me know if you have particular questions

ciagr297 wrote: »
    i live here in stockholm and i am permanently employed here

i would encourage you to get into an erasmus programme as a way to try it out. thats what i did:D:D

bear in mind that while most people speak english, you should aim to learn swedish...i know quite a few people here who just don't bother, which i would find quite offensive, if i was a native swede
    there are plenty of free courses for learning if you are registered with a university.

let me know if you have particular questions

I would have to disagree with you. Swedes don't get offended if you don't bother to learn Swedish. In fact when I moved here and attempted to speak Swedish they immediately knew I wasnt Swedish and started to talk English

I would have to disagree with you. Swedes don't get offended if you don't bother to learn Swedish. In fact when I moved here and attempted to speak Swedish they immediately knew I wasnt Swedish and started to talk English
    i didn't mean that they would be rude but I unfortunately know a few people who have lived here for 5 years plus and just aren't bothered to try...their excuse is "everybody speaks english"...that attitude bothers me personally

i think learning the language is a great opportunity to really get into the culture of a country, and i love being able to argue in swedish:D:D

• Advertisement

My wife and kids are Swedish. I will get around to learning it some day!

My wife and kids are Swedish. I will get around to learning it some day!
    actually i meant to give you an encouraging thumbs up:D:D

go for it, and learn the curse words first so you can catch the kids out;)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭thebigmc

I've some friends who have recently moved and more friends talking about following. Definitely considering it myself.

How have people who moved gotten on finding accommodation? I've heard the waiting lists to get an apartment in Stockholm city are very long? As in people are waiting a year or more to get a place to live?

thebigmc wrote: »
    I've some friends who have recently moved and more friends talking about following. Definitely considering it myself.

How have people who moved gotten on finding accommodation? I've heard the waiting lists to get an apartment in Stockholm city are very long? As in people are waiting a year or more to get a place to live?
    accommodation is a nightmare in stockholm, there basically isn't enough and there is no buy-to-let market (although thats not necessarily a bad thing)

sublet contracts - they are the most common, you pay through the nose for them and can be rather unreliable. they are also gone pretty much as soon as advertised

hyresrätt - these are quite permanent contracts which you put your name on a list for. reasonable rental rates but depending on area of stockholm, you can wait 3 years plus

bostadsrätt - you buy an apartment to live in it yourself

obviously, you pay more for the area so if you want to live right in the city, prepare to surrender your cash

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭thebigmc

hyresrätt - these are quite permanent contracts which you put your name on a list for. reasonable rental rates but depending on area of stockholm, you can wait 3 years plus

Sounds like your planning ahead might be worthwhile OP, time to put your name on the list now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I'm planning on the move to Sweden too next year. One of three places I'm looking into. I was there last summer and I loved it!

I'm a primary school teacher. So the thing that always troubled me about my move to Sweden is that there is basically no demand for English teaching over there as the standard of English in the country is amazing. Would anyone who lives there already know if there are many English-language primary schools like our Gaelscoileanna, or something similar that I could start looking into?

I plan to learn Swedish too and would aim to be close to fluent after about two years there. I already speak three languages fluently so it should be possible. I hope. :)

number10a wrote: »
    I'm planning on the move to Sweden too next year. One of three places I'm looking into. I was there last summer and I loved it!

I'm a primary school teacher. So the thing that always troubled me about my move to Sweden is that there is basically no demand for English teaching over there as the standard of English in the country is amazing. Would anyone who lives there already know if there are many English-language primary schools like our Gaelscoileanna, or something similar that I could start looking into?

I plan to learn Swedish too and would aim to be close to fluent after about two years there. I already speak three languages fluently so it should be possible. I hope. :)

well the international schools teach english classes, but it is not TEFL style - it would be english grammar classes for children who already speak a good level of english. like we used to have in national school really

as so many speak english here, and if you work in an english speaking environment, it can be a bit difficult to get fluency in swedish. there are classes, of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

well the international schools teach english classes, but it is not TEFL style - it would be english grammar classes for children who already speak a good level of english. like we used to have in national school really

Sounds perfect if I could get it. Are there many of these schools around would you know?
    as so many speak english here, and if you work in an english speaking environment, it can be a bit difficult to get fluency in swedish. there are classes, of course...

Could be hard alright I suppose. But I'm stubbornly ambitious (does that even make sense?) when it comes to languages. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭esperanza1

You could try applying to European or international schools, where employees of large organisations send their kids. Don't know of any in Sweden personally, but google international school + sweden.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I was there last summer and I loved it!

The hours of darkness in the winter are a killer! I did a month there in winter and it was just depressing for me.

• Advertisement

Darkness is a killer? I live in Stockholm and we get daylight. Probably a little less than Ireland. Plenty of sunshine unlike Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 quinntin

OP where are you in college? DIT have links with many universities throughout Sweden. If you have a work placement to do as part of your course, I'd say it would almost definitely be possible to do it in Sweden. I know DIT really encourage work placements abroad, so you should definitely look into Erasmus possibilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Would you be able to work in a bar without knowing fluent Swedish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

would anyone be able to tell me what other languages are thought in schools in sweden.

I would guess in terms of numbers it would be german, french then spanish?

Advertisement