Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power supply advice...

Options
  • 21-11-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Right, had this in the computers & technology forum but was told to put it here! The other one can be deleted please mods!

Ok, here's the situation.
    Currently have:
    Q6600 OC'ed to 3.2ghz
    Crossfire 5850's
    8GB RAM
    2 SATA and 1 optical drive.

Has been running fine with:
    High Power Plus 650w

+5V +3.3V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5Vsb
    20A 24A 20A 20A 0.3A 2.5A

650W

ATX 2.2 version power supply
    > Active PFC
    > Temperature control sensor
    > Over Voltage/Short circuit protection
    > Dual +12V rails (+v1 v2)
    > 12cm low noise fan
    > Energy efficiency 80%+

Has 4 independant +12v output rails.

Putting aside it being a relatively unknown brand/model would I be able to use this if I switched medium range motherboard/RAM and bought an i5 2500k?
    Considering I think the i5 would use less power and I assume volts?
    Maybe I'm thinking about that wrongly.
    Thanks! Sorry I couldn't format the table for the rails properly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, that would be okay. That system isn't too bad though, maybe you should wait for Ivy bridge (rumours/estimations put it at January-March).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

+1. I'd wait for Ivy, personally.

I made the mistake of buying an X58 setup at the tail end, right before 1155 came along. There were rumors, but it wasn't shaping up to be great, so I figured (wrongly) that I'd get the most bang/buck out of X58. Mistake!

Ivy is looking to be monstrous though. A bit of an increase on the CPU side, 50% more graphics power, and using less power! Might finally be the excuse I need to build a server/HTPC. i3-3100 with 17W TDP? Yes please.

Having said that, Ivy won't offer much for a gaming rig that Sandy doesn't, but at the very least you can get a 2500K on Adverts for dirt cheap when the flood of them arrives the day after Ivy's launch. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Thanks lads, that's going to make me think anyway...
    Although you fellow techheads should know that when the upgrade itch bites you...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    Although you fellow techheads should know that when the upgrade itch bites you...

"Hi, my name is Sereph, and... I have a problem."

Advertisement