Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homemade Cow Trailer

• 21-11-2011 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

I want to put 2 new axles under a cow trailer. the gran-uncles 98 Mazda 121 is parked up for the last 3 years, And he says i can use the axles (Personaly i think the small wheels are a bit light for cow trailer use) How do i go about mounting the car axles under the trailer?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You will have to weld a pipe or box iron the width of the trailer to the hubs. It is probably easier to work with the back wheels as the car was front wheel drive. Its harder to use the front wheels because of drive shafts and steering. Do you want springs? If you do, something like leaf springs from eg an old nissan patrol(back end) or similar might work.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

If you think the wheels are too small and light then why do you want to use them?

what will you be pulling this with?

how will you actuate the brakes?

mazda 121 axles sound like a very small axle to me.

If you want to go down the road of car hubs on a trailer then you wont find easier to work with than the back axle of a mk1-mk3 golf/jetta/vento or an early 90's passat.

they have a stub axle that bolts to the axle tube with four bolts. so if you make a plate to match you can weld that to the end of a length of box and use the whole hub assebmly along with the handbrake cable for the brakes giving a very nice simple job.

The downside of course is the small stub axle isnt really designed for heavy loading.

For springs, you'll not do better than buying new trailer springs in your local co-op, leaves from jeeps and vans are imho more trouble than they're worth when a new spring is only 30-40 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

The 121 rear axle looks to work on the same principle as the golf.

four bolts for the stub axle. makes it that bit easier.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-MK4-5-Rear-Stub-Axle-1995-/360176673410?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53dc33e282#ht_952wt_1163

(fiesta=121)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭wallycool

Why dont you put them in the back of the mazda and drive them where ever you need instead of cutting it up ! Make sure there all wearing saftybelts in case you meet the garda :)

Advertisement