Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving Cert 2012 Predictions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GrahamH220

We never done Heany in English. So I am totally f*cked if he comes up. Going to cram Kavanagh and Larkin tomorrow. Done Plath and Rich today.

Hamlet: Madness
    Comparitive: V&VP
    Poetry: Plath/Larkin

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spud_Monkeyy

I reckon Heaney's a winner however you look at it. I pray Larkin comes up, love his stuff. We didn't cover Plath.. Kinda glad after reading through the thread!

Art History predictions anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Nitsuj wrote: »
    If Plath came up, and the question was decent, I'd be delighted, but I'd recommend doing Heaney as well. Maybe Rich too.
    Oh I've done Rich, Heaney, Boland and Plath I just think Plath is going to be Boland all over again and she won't come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

Anyone else SCREWED for geography?

I reckon Heaney's a winner however you look at it. I pray Larkin comes up, love his stuff. We didn't cover Plath.. Kinda glad after reading through the thread!

Art History predictions anyone?

My art teacher gave us out a sheet with everything she thinks is going to come up, she also said that the exam craft mock papers usually are a lot like the actually paper? Which we didn't get in our mocks ... I think , and am praying to god, that Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth come up, I know it so well .. Romanesque and Gothic architecture maybe? I'm also studying Donatello and Michelangelo - I know Donatello so well, if something on him came up it'd be amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Shanem10

What do ye think I should study for hamlet. Im just starting to do it today?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭annettesayz

Shanem10 wrote: »
    What do ye think I should study for hamlet. Im just starting to do it today?

Everyone is banking on Role of Women it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 screeeewed

Mentioning boland and heaney in the comprehention...hmm..clue does anyone think..?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 soniacore

Anyone else SCREWED for geography?

MEE!

Course is soooo long and no time left to study ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

screeeewed wrote: »
    Mentioning boland and heaney in the comprehention...hmm..clue does anyone think..?

Heaney ♥ must come up. Plath can g'way with herself. don't like that woman at all. HEANEY PLEASE APPEAR ON PAPER 2!!
    or Larkin.. Larkin's good. :) but Heaney.. awh yeaaah. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 felixfelicis

Heaney and Plath. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 screeeewed

What about Boland..would ya think it'd be a waste looking over her..?she was mentioned in paper 1..and the famine road,like that is on our course..but heaney and his digger poem isn't..well we never did it if it is:P I want heaney..and definately kinsella, plath is as confusing as f*** eventhough I like poppies in july..:P so yeah boland..or no boland?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 26 study2012

I was thinking the same like they are trying to make the paper unpredictable and everyone is saying plath is up. I mean there is no rule in saying that u can't repeat poets, right????
    Anyway i think heaney, larkin are mostly coming up and maybe kinsella

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rossco11

what type of questions could be asked on the poets? style of writing....etc???

btw , dunno why are people saying that if Plath will be on because of the amount of people hoping that she will be up , they will probably make the question harder!?
    Who on earth told yous that?
    The paper was made in SEPTEMBER so they wouldn't know that people would prefer her the most..

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I'll give you a hint. Plath won't come up. My evidence? I have none but I doubt she will.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Heaney may be a themed question, it certainly would make sense to use him to test the students analytical skills at interpreting the themes inherent in his poetry.
    If this question was asked, there could only be two possible themes quizzed:

His theme of love/Universal themes
    His theme of Melancholy/reflection/homestead/nostalgia

As for Plath... well no one really knows, I must yet again reassert that kavanagh may come up in my opinion, there's a lot to ask on him. Boland could also, the SEC said they wanted to make the papers less predictable and well by putting her up they certainly would catch most people off guard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

soniacore wrote: »
    btw , dunno why are people saying that if Plath will be on because of the amount of people hoping that she will be up , they will probably make the question harder!?
    Who on earth told yous that?
    The paper was made in SEPTEMBER so they wouldn't know that people would prefer her the most..
    They'll probably mark it harder though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Lads in Paper One English, a proposal form, short article and a letter to an author is coming up. That's as much as I'll tell you at this point in time :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Princessxx wrote: »
    Is anyone else thinking that Plath could be the Boland fiasco all over again :/

Exactly what I was thinking. I've only done Plath and Rich. Need to do Kavanagh and perhaps Boland tonight.

Then there's Hamlet.

And the comparative...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

rossco11 wrote: »
    what type of questions could be asked on the poets? style of writing....etc???

it depends on the poet.
    but general questions that can be asked on any of the poets are something like:

"the appeal of the poetry"
    or its "relevance in today's world"
    or the "impact it had on you"

that sorta ****
    but mostly they ask questions particular to the poet. /:

Heaney questions might be about:
    - how his use of memory(childhood memories & relationship memories) offers us an insight into his private life
    - how his use of vivid imagery adds to the appeal of his poems
    - how "irishness" is a fine quality of his poetry
    - how he brings controversial themes(Northern Ireland Troubles) up in his poetry?? wouldn't be sure of that coming up but hey ya never know

Usually questions on Heaney are about how it appeals to the modern day reader.. but if he comes up i have a shneaky suspicion they'll ask something particular. D:

Plath questions might be about:
    - the general tone of her poetry
    - how she portrays herself as a woman with a striking personality through her poetry
    - how her poetry illustrates her extreme feelings
    - how she views the world in an unusual way
    - how her poetry is disturbing yet fascinating at the same time

Larkin questions might be about:
    - how he uses of universal themes(life,death,renewal,love)
    - how he expresses his views on life and the human experience
    - how his poetry can be quite melancholy but perfectly approachable

Kavanagh questions might be about:
    - how he expresses his view on irish rural life
    - how he uses interesting themes and expresses them well
    - how his poetry is the perfect insight into the type of person that he was
    - how he views mundane things as extraordinary and how he takes interest in the little things of life
    - how there is an obvious change between his poems before he got cancer and his poems after he overcame cancer(he saw things in a different/better light)

Kinsella questions might be about:
    - how he uses universal themes(relationships, memory, childhood)
    - how he uses descriptive writing and vivid imagery
    - how through his poetry we can see that he is a man of honesty
    - how his poetry tackles difficult and challenging topics(aging & death)
    - how 'the passing of time' inspired his poetry

They're the only poets i'm focusing on. S:
    Hopefully that's helpful in some way or form. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

No idea why everyone is so confident that a character question will come up, or a question on role of women.. they've come up before.

I'd look at Deception, Polonius, Laertes, Corruption, Soliloquys, Death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jr blank

literary genre or v and viewpoint?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

jr blank wrote: »
    literary genre or v and viewpoint?

Please God it'll be literary genre. I will actually cry with happiness if we get a LitGen question.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

If I have a murderous look in my eye tomorrow, it will be down to the fact that Heaney or Plath didn't come up. That is all.

Long live Heaney and his poetry. NOT

• Registered Users Posts: 2 iDavex

Heya lads, just wondering if anyone could give me notes on Bogland, as I'm only focusing on Heaney and Plath. Heaney wasn't on last year, wont be on next year either, hes Irish and this is his surprise year.

If anyone needs notes on Plath, I'll exchange them for Heaneys, thanks.

Namlub wrote: »
    They'll probably mark it harder though.

because many people will write about her?
    sorry , it's makes no sense to me ..

Please God it'll be literary genre. I will actually cry with happiness if we get a LitGen question.
    ah stop same banking on heaney and corruption in hamlet too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bazinga_

i don't understand why people would just learn one supposedly banker poet, I mean do people not remember Boland two years ago?

And also, although the bell curve goes by overall results, not certain questions, if people appear to be doing better because Plath came up and everyone was super-prepared, they will go back and mark it all harder.

as long as you can write a good essay of course, i'd say go for a question you don't think as many people can do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

soniacore wrote: »
    because many people will write about her?
    sorry , it's makes no sense to me ..

Well it's not as if the marking scheme will say 'Mark Plath harder' but say the corrector gets 50 papers, 40 of them are on Plath and most of them are roughly the same standard, they're bound to tighten their marking up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Namlub wrote: »
    Well it's not as if the marking scheme will say 'Mark Plath harder' but say the corrector gets 50 papers, 40 of them are on Plath and most of them are roughly the same standard, they're bound to tighten their marking up a bit

Perfect explanation.

If you are very good at english, then it may be worth taking a bit of time from your other sections and chose a poet which you have studied but feel is a very hard question, if you approach it correctly and constantly make reference to question then you are indeed bound to get a higher mark than someone who writes a pre-learned monotonous essay on Plath which is of a similar standard.

Its all to do with how the human mind works, they say you can screw the system but what they mean is that you are able to psychologically manipulate the examiner into giving you higher marks.

Diversity/Differing Point of View would IMO beat pre-learned/similar Point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hugokatie

does any thinks its significant that heany and boland appeared on paper one today ???

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TheCassman

Lads theres a woman on every year so just study the women, I feel its going to be Plath, Kinsella, Heaney and Rich but i would love it Boland came up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Cian_Collins

Poets for pass English any hints ?? Hope and pray Plath will come up and oh I know its not till fri but can someone please help me with economic processes in the elective in geography I donno what to study ..... Please HELP:confused:

hugokatie wrote: »
    does any thinks its significant that heany and boland appeared on paper one today ???

I doubt Boland is coming up.. 1 because she was up last year and there has never been a repeat. 2 because they named one of her poems on our course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    I doubt Boland is coming up.. 1 because she was up last year and there has never been a repeat. 2 because they named one of her poems on our course.

There have been repeats tons of times. Last year included a repeat - Yeats was up in '10 and '11.

There have been repeats tons of times. Last year included a repeat - Yeats was up in '10 and '11.

How did I not notice that??

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

The guy on 2xm just said it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

On the theme of corruption. Would you be able to talk about how Hamlets and Ophelias minds have been corrupted by the goings on in Denmark?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Laura.12

What are people learning for Hamlet? So far I have Hamlet character and soililquys - should that get me through? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 iDavex

Laura.12 wrote: »
    What are people learning for Hamlet? So far I have Hamlet character and soililquys - should that get me through? :p

Just learn quotes and you can do any essay!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

guys please tell me that gvv is coming up??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    guys please tell me that gvv is coming up??

gvv is coming up.

I'm sure as long as you know sufficient quotes for Hamlet, and know them correctly, you can pretty much flesh out any character question .. the themes, I'm not particularly fond of, wouldn't mind something similar to the women question that came up in the mocks ...

If Rich comes up tomorrow I think I'll die of happiness, wouldn't mind Heaney either, and know Kavanagh a bit but wouldn't like to answer a question on him .. and if none of those 3 come up, then I am SCREWED

Used to think GV&V was my favourite question, but now I'm not so sure .. I don't like the comparative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Yup. He appeared on the English paper already and won't show up in paper two. :D

(joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 leavings

are you sure he wont be up because of that?? i thought paper 1 didnt affect paper 2? im screwed if he or plath doesnt come up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

I got a feeling that because Boland and Heaney were on paper 1, it would be too predictable to put both on tomorrow or put neither, so they will put one of them on and won't put the other. Since odds are its heaney, I say heaney will be on it and Boland wont be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hugokatie

leavings wrote: »
    are you sure he wont be up because of that?? i thought paper 1 didnt affect paper 2? im screwed if he or plath doesnt come up!!

i agree!!! i was told by my teacher to ignore the fact that they were in the comprehension but ya never no, is it a hint? if it is a hint , is it a hint in which direction .. does it mean there gna b cumin up and u better go study them or is it more lik there not goin to be up ?? ahhh there messin with our head! ;( :L haha

anyone have anything on lasers for engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 3 leavings

i hope it doesnt mean anything. im freaking out here now!! why would they mess with our heads like that :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement