Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012 Predictions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

He hasn't actually seen the English paper...

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

Learn 3 women poets and heaney and you won't go too far wrong I reckon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 an17

Thanks ;)
    I got 42% in my pre HL english.

Now I am after changing one of my texts to another one, so fingers crossed :)

I have some predictions:

Chem: Q1 Titation AmmoniumIron Sulfate or Winkler Method( no def) or Water Crystalisation (my teacher mad bout this one)
    Q3 Rates of reactions 1/t

English: Poetry Heaney( def, he has been all over the newpapers- i think I will be doing him), Kinsella and Plath. HAMLET: Role of women (didnt come up for a long time) Soliloquays, or Deception.

Geog: Rock Cycle, Infrastructure in Brazil/SA, Dev. of urban region. Dont think the characteristics of biome will come up, it did in 2011, so it will be other biome qs

Biology: NB**** LEARN EVERYTHING IF YOU WANT TO GET A GOOD RESULT.
    They could throw anything and they could mix the questions. I got caught up for my pre, so learn everything. Our teacher made some predictions: human+plant reproduction, nervous system, ecology nd genetics nd food as always, also she said dna and rna might come up. But Ill learning everything for biology. I have been caught up at it for so many times. Dont skip the hard parts of the chapter.

Thats all I got so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

an17 wrote: »
    Thanks ;)
    I got 42% in my pre HL english.

Now I am after changing one of my texts to another one, so fingers crossed :)

I have some predictions:

Chem: Q1 Titation AmmoniumIron Sulfate or Winkler Method( no def) or Water Crystalisation (my teacher mad bout this one)
    Q3 Rates of reactions 1/t

English: Poetry Heaney( def, he has been all over the newpapers- i think I will be doing him), Kinsella and Plath. HAMLET: Role of women (didnt come up for a long time) Soliloquays, or Deception.

Geog: Rock Cycle, Infrastructure in Brazil/SA, Dev. of urban region. Dont think the characteristics of biome will come up, it did in 2011, so it will be other biome qs

Biology: NB**** LEARN EVERYTHING IF YOU WANT TO GET A GOOD RESULT.
    They could throw anything and they could mix the questions. I got caught up for my pre, so learn everything. Our teacher made some predictions: human+plant reproduction, nervous system, ecology nd genetics nd food as always, also she said dna and rna might come up. But Ill learning everything for biology. I have been caught up at it for so many times. Dont skip the hard parts of the chapter.

Thats all I got so far.

That's like predicting that algebra will come up in maths, it's not really a prediction since it comes up every year!

Does anyone have anything for business or chemistry?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hugokatie

PLEASE SOMEBODY PLEASE HAVE SOME PREIDCTOINS FOR HOME-EC TE COURSE IS SO BROAD ITS IMPOSSIBLE!!! ;(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

anyone here doing comstruction studies?? what do ye reckon will come up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

That's like predicting that algebra will come up in maths, it's not really a prediction since it comes up every year!

Does anyone have anything for business or chemistry?

For business, all this from our teacher, business plan somewhere, ratios, TQM, Consumer Information Act, stages in development of a new product, decision making process in the EU, matrix structure, law of contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I don't understand why everyone is so hung-up about what English Poets come up? It's only worth 50 marks. Just learn 5 poets and you'll be sorted. The poetry questions are basically generic anyway (apart from that Boland Question last year). I'm learning the key themes, language and quotes for 5 poems from 5 poets. (Plath, Heaney, Larkin, Rich and Kinsella).
    Hamlet, now that's the section to fear! :P I have some weird feeling that Soliloquys, Polonius or the Theme of Love will make an appearance this year.

I had the weirdest dream of opening Paper II a while ago, if my psychic skillage is accurate we'll see LG, Love in Hamlet and Philip Larkin :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

I don't understand why everyone is so hung-up about what English Poets come up? It's only worth 50 marks. Just learn 5 poets and you'll be sorted. The poetry questions are basically generic anyway (apart from that Boland Question last year). I'm learning the key themes, language and quotes for 5 poems from 5 poets. (Plath, Heaney, Larkin, Rich and Kinsella).
    Hamlet, now that's the section to fear! :P I have some weird feeling that Soliloquys, Polonius or the Theme of Love will make an appearance this year.

I had the weirdest dream of opening Paper II a while ago, if my psychic skillage is accurate we'll see LG, Love in Hamlet and Philip Larkin :L

Or 12.5% of the entire exam? :D I dont know about you, But i'll certainly be rooting for that 12.5%. That's like a grade and a half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

2 whole grades and potentially a third - but its still the smallest chunk of marks besides the unseen poem and the same as the comprehensions which you cant really study for, and its so information heavy. All the same I think its far easier than Hamlet. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

Five poets? :rolleyes: Three is enough in my opinion. Plath, Heaney, Kinsella- sorted.

On a another note: Hamlet: Misogyny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

The U-Value ;) oh and a drawing question :L

Besides the obvious though, things like insulation and foundations come up most years dont they?

So I think it will be safe enough to concentrate on the drawings (can be used in Q.1 and also in other Qs), the U-Value which is very easy if you are in any way decent at maths, insulation, foundations and then a couple of other areas you are most comfortable in.
    I know this is more of advice than predictions but I think if you go with that you'll be more than fine.

For business, all this from our teacher, business plan somewhere, ratios, TQM, Consumer Information Act, stages in development of a new product, decision making process in the EU, matrix structure, law of contract

These, and the Employment Equality Act, Communication (AGM maybe?) and insurance. That narrows things down :pac:

silversky wrote: »
    Five poets? :rolleyes: Three is enough in my opinion. Plath, Heaney, Kinsella- sorted.

On a another note: Hamlet: Misogyny

Even though it may seem unlikely, what would you do if none of these came up? I'm not willing to take that chance.

I also have NO idea what this means! :pac::confused:

Even though it may seem unlikely, what would you do if none of these came up? I'm not willing to take that chance.

I also have NO idea what this means! :pac::confused:

It's not much of a risk IMO. If they don't come up, well then I've no one to blame but myself but, I'm sure enough at least one of the three will come up.

I dunno whether to take you seriously or not. Hatred of women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

well personally I'd rather just study everything in let's say Geography. They talk about what's likely to come up by looking at patterns of questions asked in the previous years. Quite risky to take those chances. Everything could suddenly just change one year, and I've a feeling that'll happen with the LC in 2012. :o

For the mocks there was
    a fireplace foundation for Q1 to be done in 1:5.
    Did terrible in it :mad: my own fault I guess as we'd done a similar one a couple of weeks back which I should've looked at more. Remember though, usually (if not all the time)
    the fireplace foundation Q's are asked for in 1:5. Wasn't aware of that before doing the mock, also most of foundations I practised drawing were in 1:10 scale which I find much easier to do, so having to do it in 1:5 also might have put me off in the mock Q1.
    I'd say a chimney/fireplace one will come up (just a gut feeling) :D

PictureFrame;77745009
    If Larkin / Frost come up, I'll be way beyond pissed. Can't stand them two. The Larkin stuff is just boring as well as depressing. :D I do pass English so I shouldn't be complaining, considering I'm not studying Shakespeare but still....

Misogyny seems a bit specific as a Hamlet question imo, wouldn't be surprised if it was the role of women though

Namlub wrote: »
    Misogyny seems a bit specific as a Hamlet question imo, wouldn't be surprised if it was the role of women though

Misogyny is a general theme, anyway it ties in with the role of women, Gertrude and Ophelia character analysis etc. You could use it either way, they're all linked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

There is no way that a question with the word 'Misogyny' in it will come up for the simple reason that half of those sitting the English paper wont know what it means! Examination boards set questions to challenge students, not to have them staring in amazement at a question speckled with words like this!
    The role of women question came up on my mock and the role of lies and deception, either one would be nice and juicy in June
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

There is no way that a question with the word 'Misogyny' in it will come up for the simple reason that half of those sitting the English paper wont know what it means! Examination boards set questions to challenge students, not to have them staring in amazement at a question speckled with words like this! The role of women question came up on my mock and the role of lies and deception, either one would be nice and juicy in June ;)

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    There is no way that a question with the word 'Misogyny' in it will come up for the simple reason that half of those sitting the English paper wont know what it means! Examination boards set questions to challenge students, not to have them staring in amazement at a question speckled with words like this! The role of women question came up on my mock and the role of lies and deception, either one would be nice and juicy in June ;)

You should know what that word means anyway when studying Hamlet. Or at least your English teacher should have informed you about it. It's directly linked to the play. And you never know what could come up. I take it you don't draw up the papers, so how can you say that ther's "no way" of it coming up?

Nevermind :rolleyes:

Two condescending posts to say exactly the same thing?

Well sometimes you need two posts, some people find it a little difficult to understand a concept

Well sometimes you need two posts, some people find it a little difficult to understand a concept
    You are being condescending though. I don't know what this Misogyny means really, I still got an A2 in my Mock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

You are being condescending though. I don't know what this Misogyny means really, I still got an A2 in my Mock.

Mysogony is the hatred of women.
    "Frailty thy name is woman" - that sorta idea.

If it comes up (very unlikely) there is a statement with the question, not one word 'mysogony' so you can work out the meaning of the question from that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I find it quite shocking that an A standard HL candidate would not know what the word misogyny means.
    What are the English teachers doing? Just covering old exam papers?

Predictions regarding the exam are pointless as usual.
    Any of the people who actually know or have an idea of what is on any paper will not be posting on boards. They have all signed legally binding agreements and would be in a lot of trouble if they were telling anyone about the content of the paper(s).

That said, the Chief Examiners' reports are where the setters take their direction from, so if the Reports have been saying papers are too predictable, efforts will be made to make them less so.

spurious wrote: »
    I find it quite shocking that an A standard HL candidate would not know what the word misogyny means.
    What are the English teachers doing? Just covering old exam papers?

Predictions regarding the exam are pointless as usual.
    Any of the people who actually know or have an idea of what is on any paper will not be posting on boards. They have all signed legally binding agreements and would be in a lot of trouble if they were telling anyone about the content of the paper(s).

That said, the Chief Examiners' reports are where the setters take their direction from, so if the Reports have been saying papers are too predictable, efforts will be made to make them less so.

I honestly achieved an A2 (85.5%) in my Mock and have never heard of this word. I don't know about other English teachers but mine certainly isn't, in fact we don't even have exam papers for English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

There's a lesson to be learnt here: if you don't know what a word means, google it and pretend you knew all along. :P

Advertisement