Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Certificate in Arts in Culinary Arts in Culinary Arts

Options
  • 21-11-2011 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi guys! ,

I'm interested in doing this course next September but I'd like to know if anyone on boards can give a little more information about the I.T itself what is it like ? is the course itself good ? What are the fee's ? and also what is the situation with accommodation?

Regards FionnTheBun :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Hi guys! ,

I'm interested in doing this course next September but I'd like to know if anyone on boards can give a little more information about the I.T itself what is it like ? is the course itself good ? What are the fee's ? and also what is the situation with accommodation?

Regards FionnTheBun :)

reet i shall help as best i can.

i started year one of this course this year (had to defer til next year due to illness - missed too much practical time).

it is a VERY labour intensive course, most of the week is made up of practical classes and only a few theory ones in the week. this semester for example i started at 8am on a monday, and some days i was there til 9pm at night! so you need to be prepared for that.

also on registration day we were handed a letter that said we needed to come back in the next day, to get our knives and uniform, which cost the guts of 500quid, and we had to bring that with us that day. so no warning there :(

there is work experience one day a week which you set up for yourself, with a bit of help from your tutor. it has to be in a good place where you will get lots of hands on in classical techniques.

the college itself seems grand, you get out what you put in in terms of su etc, but its no worse than other it's.

can't really help you with accommodation as i commute from wicklow.

hope this helps and be great to see you next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FionnTheBun

Sorry that you had to defer but hopefully I will see you there in september :)
    I'm more interested in getting hands on so that will be great as far as labour goes ,

The hours seem abit rough ! From 8 am till 9 pm ! ouch

500 bucks for knifes and uniform ! and no notice thats something I will have to save up for so ! :S

work experience I'd love to get obviously I'd love to be paid for it but if its to improve my SKILLZ I'm happy to do so

Thank you very much for giving me some information about the college as a student and hope to see you in September provided I get in

Also I wanted to know what are the fee's besides the 500 for your kit have you got any idea ?

Fionn.

Sorry that you had to defer but hopefully I will see you there in september :)
    I'm more interested in getting hands on so that will be great as far as labour goes ,

The hours seem abit rough ! From 8 am till 9 pm ! ouch

500 bucks for knifes and uniform ! and no notice thats something I will have to save up for so ! :S

work experience I'd love to get obviously I'd love to be paid for it but if its to improve my SKILLZ I'm happy to do so

Thank you very much for giving me some information about the college as a student and hope to see you in September provided I get in

Also I wanted to know what are the fee's besides the 500 for your kit have you got any idea ?

Fionn.

well assuming the government don't change things - i assume you will get free fees, then depending on if you are eligible for a grant there is the 2000 (at the mo) student services charge. and they charge for lockers in college. then obvs there is books etc. accom or transport depending on which you have - i presume that'd be accom for you since i see your in waterford.

Thanks very much man genuinely appreciate the advice and help !

• Registered Users Posts: 44 deejam

Hi Fionn, I'm just woundering did you consider doing the course in WIT, or is the course in Tallaght better..?

• Advertisement

deejam wrote: »
    Hi Fionn, I'm just woundering did you consider doing the course in WIT, or is the course in Tallaght better..?
    I've applied for both :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Snozzy

Hi hdowney,

Ive always had an interest in the culinary arts myself and am thinking of applying for D.I.T or maby tallaght for the upcoming year but my question is on a practical level what level would the course start?? Like actually in the kitchen do they start at basic levels or what? Im okay in the kitchen but wouldnt be anything super like:-) Any information would be great

Snozzy wrote: »
    Hi hdowney,

Ive always had an interest in the culinary arts myself and am thinking of applying for D.I.T or maby tallaght for the upcoming year but my question is on a practical level what level would the course start?? Like actually in the kitchen do they start at basic levels or what? Im okay in the kitchen but wouldnt be anything super like:-) Any information would be great

well with mine you did knife skills to start. then in some classes you learnt to make stocks and soups - making a good stock is key in a kitchen. then we learnt how to distinguish meats and prepare them and stuff and in pastry we went right into making pastry, and made apple flan the first week, quiche etc the next. so it depends on the class. but you will learn the basics first :D

Advertisement