Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arrivals on rte now

• 21-11-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

Just flicked on (after watching RoT :o)

How annoying is your wun with red hair and her annoying fakey Canadian oirish accent?!! :eek:
    Like jaysis she's only gone a year or something.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

amdublin wrote: »

How annoying is your wun with red hair and her annoying fakey Canadian oirish accent?!! :eek:
    She didnt emigrate at all,her husband did .
    She picked up the accent on a trip to visit him.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The story of the 48 year old guy that had to close down his father's shop is probably the saddest.. He's paying off his debts as well, fair play to him... but he seems like he really feels like he let his parents down by not being able to keep the shop running.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Check out the boggers in Bondi:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

The party bus sounds like great craic lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

She didnt emigrate at all,her husband did .
    She picked up the accent on a trip to visit him.:D

Ah would you stop! Are you serious?! :eek:
    The story of the 48 year old guy that had to close down his father's shop is probably the saddest.. He's paying off his debts as well, fair play to him... but he seems like he really feels like he let his parents down by not being able to keep the shop running.

Yes....I remember their story last year. Fair play to them.

• Advertisement

technocrat wrote: »
    The party bus sounds like great craic lol

Ah jaysis it was ridiculous. Did they go on it every week or something :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Didn't they say she was only there for 4 months?? That's some quick accent development

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Ah jaysis it was ridiculous. Did they go on it every week or something :confused:

That's 4 less Celtic jersey wearing skobies for us to worry about so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

There's something quite sad about tge fact he doesn't know any Australians and probably lives in that GAA jersey, tbh

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Didn't they say she was only there for 4 months?? That's some quick accent development

It's a disgrace I tell ya A Disgrace :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I really felt for him too, he seemed such a genuine guy. There were tears running down my face watching his parents at the airport, it must be so tough for them to know that their son will never return to live in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I felt sorry for that Meath lad who is doing 3 months out in the sticks for some reason, living in a caravan, he seems lonely, but at least he's happy I guess.

Sad programme over all, really not nice to see parents kissing their children goodbye at an airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

county bondi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

vicwatson wrote: »
    I felt sorry for that Meath lad who is doing 3 months out in the sticks for some reason, living in a caravan, he seems lonely, but at least he's happy I guess.

Sad programme over all, really not nice to see parents kissing their children goodbye at an airport.

actually thought that guy had his head screwed on , seemed like a sensible chap , not living in the most exciting part of the world to put it mildly yet he saw it as the best way to get a two year visa , means to an end etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yeah the guy there were following was a regular on it, cringe:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Only saw 15 minutes of it but the red haired one in Toronto has picked up a Canadian twang already. They must only be there a few months. Always wonder how some people's accents change in no time at all while others could be away for 20 years and have the exact same accent they left with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Only saw 15 minutes of it but the red haired one in Toronto has picked up a Canadian twang already. They must only be there a few months. Always wonder how some people's accents change in no time at all while others could be away for 20 years and have the exact same accent they left with.

True - interesting that the guy who publishes the newspaper in Australia and has lived there for years still has a full Irish accent.Everyone is different I guess.

And the lads in Bondi were absolutely cringeworthy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Did ye not think the 48 year old's wife was only looking for an excuse to go to Aus (obviously it's not cool any more to say Australia) she had family and was from there and he managed to run his family business into the ground. She kept making the excuse that they are not living the high life in "Aus" (they must have been in Ireland).

On a side note why do RTE producers and editors insist on annoying and irritating scratchy radio broadcasts between interviews. They do something similar in all their documentaries i.e. constant changing camera angles IMO it renders them annoying to watch and in most cases unwatchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

endplate wrote: »
    On a side note why do RTE producers and editors insist on annoying and irritating scratchy radio broadcasts between interviews. They do something similar in all their documentaries i.e. constant changing camera angles IMO it renders them annoying to watch and in most cases unwatchable.

Completely unnecessary - it was like someone scraping a nail across a blackboard every couple of minutes.RTE really go overboard on this sort of thing,some of their shows should carry a health warning for motion sickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kalinda

Some people just have an ear for accents and it just happens they pick them up, its funny though how it was Canadian and then at other points Irish.

Yeah, I remember the older guy's parents at the airport, it was so sad. The 20-30 year olds have a great time over there, its different for the older ages or who have families to support or get set up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mr.Dibble

Is there really not one company in the whole of Ireland that couldn't put the skills of that joiner to use?

And the lads in Bondi going on the piss are taking the piss while the rest of Ireland makes the hard graft paying more and more taxes to get the country back on it's feet. Saying he'll never be back. Me hole. Once things are nice and smooth again, he'll be the first back home to his Mammy with the mother of all hangovers and not a penny in his pocket.

And why did it look like the wife of the clothes shop fella was the one pulling the strings during the interview. At times I was thinking "Jaysus he better do as he's told or he'll get no dinner tonight…after he's cooked it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

actually thought that guy had his head screwed on , seemed like a sensible chap , not living in the most exciting part of the world to put it mildly yet he saw it as the best way to get a two year visa , means to an end etc

I agree with you. Just thought he looked a lonely aul soul out in the middle of nowhere, it made the whole idea of people having to emigrate a really sad and lonely issue. What people have to do to live/survive as this country has been so f***** up by some:rolleyes: :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Mr.Dibble wrote: »
    And the lads in Bondi going on the piss are taking the piss

We are better off without gob****es like them. A regular on a party bus. Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    We are better off without gob****es like them. A regular on a party bus. Sigh.
    The bus driver must be a saint to listen to them idiots every week.
    Yourman working on the farm, his mother had the most brutal accent that I ever heard.
    The fella in Canada would want to take it handy on the grub or drink or whatever it is that is causing him to fatten up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Pope John 11

I'm sure there are plenty of Ballymuners on Bondi too.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mr.Dibble wrote: »
    Is there really not one company in the whole of Ireland that couldn't put the skills of that joiner to use?

And the lads in Bondi going on the piss are taking the piss while the rest of Ireland makes the hard graft paying more and more taxes to get the country back on it's feet. Saying he'll never be back. Me hole. Once things are nice and smooth again, he'll be the first back home to his Mammy with the mother of all hangovers and not a penny in his pocket.

And why did it look like the wife of the clothes shop fella was the one pulling the strings during the interview. At times I was thinking "Jaysus he better do as he's told or he'll get no dinner tonight…after he's cooked it."

Those lads in Bondi haven't immigrated, they are just on working holidays which will come to an end and I had to laugh at yer man claiming that he wasn't going home and was going become a citizen....what a dreamer.... I have heard that so many times and guess what 95% are all gone its not that easy to become a citizen. Easier said than done.

Typical Bondi ....it to muppets what mecca is to islam.

I once heard a young fella ask an Irish contractor for a job in a pub. The boss asked where he was living and yer man said Bondi, the Boss said that he hadn't anything maybe try somewhere else. The Boss said to me that he wouldn't employ anyone living in Bondi because from experience if they are stupid enough to live there then he didn't want they working for him. He said that he reckons Bondi is the Aboriginal word for useless.

Did feel sorry for that lad Larry from Meath working on the Farm, To be honest I would love to try and help him out if I could. He seems a good sort that deserves to be sponsored, not sure if I could get him sponsored as an electrician but I am going ask a few of my mates if any of their bosses would maybe watch the show and do the right thing.

I'm sure there are plenty of Ballymuners on Bondi too.....:rolleyes:

Nah they are all in St Kilda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Those lads in Bondi haven't immigrated, they are just on working holidays which will come to an end and I had to laugh at yer man claiming that he wasn't going home and was going become a citizen....what a dreamer.... I have heard that so many times and guess what 95% are all gone its not that easy to become a citizen. Easier said than done.

Typical Bondi ....it to muppets what mecca is to islam.

I once heard a young fella ask an Irish contractor for a job in a pub. The boss asked where he was living and yer man said Bondi, the Boss said that he hadn't anything maybe try somewhere else. The Boss said to me that he wouldn't employ anyone living in Bondi because from experience if they are stupid enough to live there then he didn't want they working for him. He said that he reckons Bondi is the Aboriginal word for useless.

Did feel sorry for that lad Larry from Meath working on the Farm, To be honest I would love to try and help him out if I could. He seems a good sort that deserves to be sponsored, not sure if I could get him sponsored as an electrician but I am going ask a few of my mates if any of their bosses would maybe watch the show and do the right thing.

Again RTE seem to muddle these shows about emigration, like the other recent show 'the commute' it was a bit all over the place.

The guys partying in Bondi were hardly good candidates for a show about 'emigrants'- as you say they will be back after a year when the whv and the money runs out. These eejits are ten a penny in Bondi/Coogee/St Kilda.

I had lot of respect to the guy from Meath- he was on a whv but was doing the right thing- get the 3 months regional work out of the way so he can get a 2 year whv and then go from there.
    Was quite a sad scene watching him turn the light out in the caravan before bed. Also the landscape of the farm seemed very melancholic, hope it pans out for him.

Wasn't sure what to make of the couple from Limerick- on one hand felt sorry for the man leaving his elderly parents and having to close the shop. Fair play to them aswel for still paying off their debts in Ireland.
    But on the other hand the wife was from Oz and they had merely returned to her home town- so surely would have had family/network of some sort there to ease the transition.

Again RTE seem to muddle these shows about emigration, like the other recent show 'the commute' it was a bit all over the place.

The guys partying in Bondi were hardly good candidates for a show about 'emigrants'- as you say they will be back after a year when the whv and the money runs out. These eejits are ten a penny in Bondi/Coogee/St Kilda.

Yes RTE sometimes haven't a clue, I have posted this in other threads as there is nothing wrong with a bit reality.

FACT: Since July 2008 there have been less than 10,000 Irish passport holders (men, women & children) have migrated to Australia. Irish migrants only made it into the top 10 nationalities for the first time in a long time last year with a total 3700 migrating to Australia (Jul 2010-July2011). Which is a spike of about 750 people compared to the year before.
    I had lot of respect to the guy from Meath- he was on a whv but was doing the right thing- get the 3 months regional work out of the way so he can get a 2 year whv and then go from there.
    Was quite a sad scene watching him turn the light out in the caravan before bed. Also the landscape of the farm seemed very melancholic, hope it pans out for him.

+1

like I said if I was in the position to sponsor him, I would track him down and offer him a job myself.
    endplate wrote: »
    Did ye not think the 48 year old's wife was only looking for an excuse to go to Aus (obviously it's not cool any more to say Australia) she had family and was from there and he managed to run his family business into the ground. She kept making the excuse that they are not living the high life in "Aus" (they must have been in Ireland).

To be fair I don't think yer man ran his business into the ground its more just the fate of small business caught up in todays shopping trends and a depression, that sort of business is competing with large shopping centres, online shopping and the fact that most people these days only really wear a smart suit to either a wedding or funeral. (hardly even wear a suit every Sunday to mass these days)

For those interested here is the first program screened earlier this year

http://www.ozeire.com/latest-news/latest/rte-departure-date-.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

The fella in Canada would want to take it handy on the grub or drink or whatever it is that is causing him to fatten up.

It was so strange looking. All hanging out and saggy. He was fairly slim otherwise.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Pope John 11

She picked it up from those God damn canadian toys.....as there seems to be no one else in the kiddies park or no one that would want to talk to her:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

She picked it up from those God damn canadian toys.....as there seems to be no one else in the kiddies park or no one that would want to talk to her:)

The empty park was such a strange scene. It was like the whole town had been ordered to evacuate but no one told the Irish girl with the strange accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

I find the case of the middle aged fella quite strange. I mean, did he really have to go all the way to Australia to manage a shop floor? He could have pitched up in Aldi/Lidl and earned 60K a year doing that here. I don't think we were getting the full story about what happened to his business.

I reckon emigration is not as forced in many cases as people (RTE/Healine Editors) would make it out to be. In my own circle of friends, I know plenty of people who have jacked up jobs to piss around picking fruit in Aus. Then they are calling themselves a lost generation.

Saw this on the beeb this AM. UK angle obviously but there would be some parallels for Irish too:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15799571

As for knobs pissing it up in their Gaah jerseys every day of the week, we're well shot of them. Lets face it, there was circa 100K on the dole here in the boom times so they must have been well and truly a useless lot. If we lose that 100K, we're probably better off

GavMan wrote: »
    I find the case of the middle aged fella quite strange. I mean, did he really have to go all the way to Australia to manage a shop floor? He could have pitched up in Aldi/Lidl and earned 60K a year doing that here. I don't think we were getting the full story about what happened to his business.

He had been living in Australia for years, think his kids were born in Aus as well. He returned to Ireland a few years ago to resurrect the family business as it was his dream, he invested heavily and the business failed.

I reckon emigration is not as forced in many cases as people (RTE/Healine Editors) would make it out to be. In my own circle of friends, I know plenty of people who have jacked up jobs to piss around picking fruit in Aus. Then they are calling themselves a lost generation.

Yeah exactly picking fruit on a working holiday visa, how is that emigration?

Sure a few years ago if someone said they were emigrating to Florida for 2 weeks in July people would have laughed at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Count Greffi

It was so strange looking. All hanging out and saggy. He was fairly slim otherwise.....

The lad from Cahir Where had shed a few stone since hitting Bondi by the looks of it. Must have been on the pingers to offset the drink gut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Saw this on the beeb this AM. UK angle obviously but there would be some parallels for Irish too:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15799571

As for knobs pissing it up in their Gaah jerseys every day of the week, we're well shot of them. Lets face it, there was circa 100K on the dole here in the boom times so they must have been well and truly a useless lot. If we lose that 100K, we're probably better off

Could not have put it better myself! The population has increased here since the last census in 2006! Also How much of a life improvement is it for the lad from Meath to be living in a caravan with only lambs for company and a low paid job.i have spent time on farms like this and believe me it would test your sanity.He would have been better off working behind his folks bar back home.The whole programme would not inspire anyone to emigrate particularly felt sorry for the mother in the empty playground in Canada how lonely must that have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pad92

Hi
    Does anyone know where I could download this documentary "Arrivals" or at the very least view it. All I can get is the advertisement on youtube. I also sent a request to the RTE Archives about receiving it from them but I would have to buy it at a ridiculous prise.
    Any reply's or help would be very much appreciated.

Advertisement